Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 PM

11 posts, read 115,031 times

Advertisements

So I have read that it is hard to find a teaching job in PA. Is it safe to say that finding a school administration job would be next to impossible?

I assume they are paid better in PA if the teachers are.

What do you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 PM

518 posts, read 2,531,876 times
it's actually easier to get an administration job in PA than a teaching job, as long as you are qualified. there are not nearly as many people qualified for a job in administration than there are in teaching, so you're chances are better if you have the qualifications and/or experience.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 PM

221 posts, read 994,151 times
I actually see many principal job openings in many papers, and on many school websites- including last week, and school started Monday. If you have a principal certificate, you are more likely to attain a job than a teacher.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 115,031 times
Thanks for the info. My family and I are trying to land on a new place to live. We're in the west and we would love to try the east. We're ready for a change.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:43 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
If you can get your certificates and teaching credentials accredited through our Department of Education, you would have your pick of administrative positions, with the exception of Business Managers. We have many openings for Principals, Assistant Principals, Dean of Students, Athletic Directors and Superintendents. All levels and all types of school systems.

The craziness begins when you attempt to get certified to teach in this state. Unless your credentials are recent (within the last 10 years) and your degrees are from a school that reciprocates with PA schools, you'll most likely have to take the PRAXIS exams for all of your subject areas, general knowledge and areas of certification.

I moved here 19 years ago, having taught for 11 years in another state, with undergraduate and masters degrees, high GPA's and continuing education work. Had to take the exams and teach for 3 years before becoming fully certified to teach. Great retirement system though.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Forgot to mention that they will grant you an emergency certificate for one year, and most school district offices will help push it through quickly if they offer you employment.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:56 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Even if a state says it reciprocates, that seems to mean that it accepts the education diploma from other states but one must still take the pennsylvania Praxis tests. Seems pretty silly since there isn't too much difference between the various Praxis tests for the basic tests. It's definately a racket. Teachbeach, do you mean 3 years to be fully certified or three years until you got tenure?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 PM

I had to teach 3 years in PA to get the Level II certificate. My first year of teaching I was filling in while someone was on sabbatical, so it didn't count towards tenure. I had to teach 4 years before getting tenure.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,730 times
Default A.d. Job search

I just joined this site to hopefully find an Athletic Director's position. I've been a health & physical education teacher for 13 years and have over 20+ years experience coaching varsity sports; I also have several years experience as a game manager (athletic director duties).

I obtained my Master of Science Degree in Athletic Administration from Ohio University in 2005 and I am eager to embark on a career change in Athletic Administration.

I welcome any advice, information or postings of Athletic Director positions in Pennsylvania.
Thank you!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,165 times
Not to throw a damp towel on this party or anything, since many people on this site attacks my opinions - due to the amount of negativity, but all I will add is the fact that most school districts are near being broke.

The governor of Pennsylvania announced a couple of months ago that all these school districts do not make sense anymore with a declining population and a declining tax base. Consolidation will be taking place over the next couple of years and almost 1/3 to 1/2 of all school districts will be affected.

The end result will be less superintendents and less upper management jobs and maybe less principals due to the fact that many schools are going to have to close and the students will be bused from one district to another to repopulate the schools which will remain open.

Having a degree in athletics's might be a good thing if you have proven yourself at a upper level of sports in your college days and have a proven track record for getting teams to perform.

My point being Punxsutawney was a AAA school when I was a kid. We played Altoona, State College, Indiana, Dubois, Clearfield, Bradford, St. Mary's, Kittanning, and usually a pick up game which in my junior year was Westinghouse.

As the population of kids decreased and the athletic's dept suffered from a lack of participation, most of the schools dropped Punxsy from their schedule.

Punxsy actually got from the point of being the team to beat to not having a win in 4 years.

Last years coach did a really good job with the kids he had who tried out for the team and the coaches really taught the kids a lot. There is such a lack of kids wanting to play football that they had to start kids from the 9th grade on the varsity team - just to have enough players on the roster to call themselves a team. The head coach really did a good job, as a matter of fact, the radio station broadcast the games and there was about a 400% increase in people listening to the games by the end of the season. They started winning.

Along came Allen Nichol, his dad was a promenent denist in the Punxsutawney area and Allen coached in Punxsy a few years ago and left to pursue other interests. He also was on the undefeated team back in 76 or 78...

They hired him as a football coach and the school board - said, well I guess we are going to have to offer him a teaching position also! Nobody really wanted him here - but he got the job. The kids were already trained from the year before and they stepped up to the plate and I believe that they only lost one or two games all season. Quite a turn around.

Without his credentials, he never would have been offered a job coaching, let alone teaching. They are always looking for coaches, but they do not want to hire teachers, as a matter of fact, they just got rid of 20 or 30 teachers and aids in the last year and one half.

This attitude is going on all over Pennsylvania.

The only exception is the schools where no one wants to teach. The knife and gun clubs where the kids are bad and you live and teach in fear every day of your life. Philidelphia, Pittsburgh and even the Pocono's are this way and many other suburbs where there is a high population of poor colored people and gangs is just as bad.

My advice would be for you to look in South Carolina or North Carolina or Virginia for employment. I know many people who works there and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania