U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM

14,560 posts, read 27,017,505 times
Have not been on this thread for several days--
I think people are going off track
surprised some of these comments haven't been abridged...

Sandusky has evolved over time--and I think you give him too much credit for intellectualizing his behavior and justifying it to others...

I think like many great predators once he decided that he was going to continue with his abuse, he quickly perceived where he was likely to find victims that would not create problems before or after their victimization--nor would their families...
plus because he seems to be from less-intellectual part of the country in small town PA he is more likely than not to be involved with people who are more conventional in that they don't challenge authority (and Sandusky represented authority as a coach with PSU)
that they see themselves in a caste system where poor people have little power to object
who were already in a dysfunctional situation most of the time since they were families w/o strong fathers...

These are things that a predator understands almost by osmosis vs intellectual theorizing...
and he grows his process organically--
what works continues--what doesn't, is discarded...

interesting how Amendola is treating Sandusky's pass on the hearing as a strength move--when I see it as attempt to avoid having his dirty laundry aired out for the prospective jury pool...
while it would have been very traumatic for those boys/men to testify, I think Sandusky was more worried about what hearing from their mouths what he had done to them would do to taint any protests from him...

Does anyone know which one of Sandusky's grandchildren/sons is supposedly the one who filed the complaint of abuse?

Has any article come out with the name of the boy/man who supposedly was the "shower boy" who is going to say there was nothing wrong that occurred?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:59 PM

2,380 posts, read 1,955,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Sandusky has evolved over time--and I think you give him too much credit for intellectualizing his behavior and justifying it to others...

I think like many great predators once he decided that he was going to continue with his abuse, he quickly perceived where he was likely to find victims that would not create problems before or after their victimization--nor would their families...plus because he seems to be from less intellectual part of the country in small town PA he is more likely than not to be involved with people who are more conventional in that they don't challenge authority (and Sandusky represented authority as a coach with PSU) that they see themselves in a caste system where poor people have little power to object who were already in a dysfunctional situation most of the time since they were families w/o strong fathers...
Interesting perspective. I would argue that State College should be the least likely place for this to occur. Is State College less intellectual than Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Balitimore? If you are determining intellectualism by education, wouldn't the education level of the citizens of State College and the surrounding area be much higher than any of the other cities I mentioned? In addition, because of the size of the State College area compared to any of the other cities, people are not nearly as anonymous as people in Philly or Pittsburgh. This is why I find it hard to believe this behavior went on so long when there had to be extensive rumors of the behavior. The comment, "he is more likely than not to be involved with people who are more conventional in that they don't challenge authority," escapes me. So you are saying people in State College are more conventional? Why, because of their lack of intellectualism or small town mentality? Please explain, I'm missing something.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Sandusky's lawyer says media took showering comments 'out of context' - CNN.com

this new attorney makes a very "open door" comment himself at the end of the article--

In a statement released Thursday, Rominger said he was proposing "one hypothetical" and not saying "Sandusky showered with youths and touched them inappropriately for the purpose of teaching them to shower."

"I am not suggesting that this is what happened in this case, but was answering questions about possible motivations an individual might have for an adult to shower with a juvenile," Rominger said.

Of course another obvious answer is that one reason an adult would shower with a juvenile is that he is a pedophile...

and believe me--as a mom--I never had to shower with my kids to show them how to wash...
and plenty of boys can know how to take a shower (meaning a thorough cleaning of the body) and choose to just get wet and get out...

at to my comment about the area of PA where Sandusky lived--my understanding is that this is small town America--rural, separated from urban areas like Pittsburg and Philadelphia--where people feel safer because they know their neighbors into the third generation...
where they tend to be trusting and take people at face value...
is that not correct?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,221,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Refusal to submit to an ideology of Absolute Political Correctness does not connote an absence of morality; it is you who are confusing the two.

If, as I fear, Sandusky used the concerns held by many of us over the feminization and over-sensitization of adolescent boys by the increasing instabiility of traditional family structure and the growing "nanny-state" for his own immoral actions, then he deserves everything that's coming to him.

But the point remains, that Penn State football remains an island of male autonomy and self-reliance in a growing sea of androgyny. And there are people out there in far left field that know it, and want to destroy it. If they can be identified as part of the leadeship of the lynch mob, (as they were at Duke) the public has every right to know that.

And BTW, where were all these moralists whn Michael Jackson was getting away with his disippations? (Oh, that's right, Jackson didn't fit the profile of an Appropriate Target.)

Perhaps, if a few over-protective Mommas had taught their sons to question authority, rather than submit to it in the false belief that government oversight can protect us from everything, incidients like this would not happen.

But that wouldn't sit too well with their own agenda; sooner or later, the apron strings will be untied, and unfortunately, the misguided son is likely to overreact in rebellion. But that's a point that Aunt Hilary and all the rest of the New Puritans don't have the will to address.
So, you see the homosexual rape of young men as some sort of positive political statement? Do you go to a shrink?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 PM

2,380 posts, read 1,955,234 times
Quote:
at to my comment about the area of PA where Sandusky lived--my understanding is that this is small town America--rural, separated from urban areas like Pittsburg and Philadelphia--where people feel safer because they know their neighbors into the third generation...
is that not correct?
The borough of State College has a population of 42,000. The population of the State College Metropolitan Statistical Area, including the borough, is 153,990.

For population 25 years and over in State College:
  • High school or higher: 95.9%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 69.2%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 40.4%
Yes, State College is 110 miles from Pittsburgh and 150 miles from Philadelphia, but I don't agree that is "where people feel safer because they know their neighbors into the third generation." This is a large college town with students and faculty moving in and out of the area. It is does have a reputation of being a very safe place to live.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,249,240 times
Quote:
Sandusky's lawyer says media took showering comments 'out of context' - CNN.com

this new attorney makes a very "open door" comment himself at the end of the article--

In a statement released Thursday, Rominger said he was proposing "one hypothetical" and not saying "Sandusky showered with youths and touched them inappropriately for the purpose of teaching them to shower."

"I am not suggesting that this is what happened in this case, but was answering questions about possible motivations an individual might have for an adult to shower with a juvenile," Rominger said.

Of course another obvious answer is that one reason an adult would shower with a juvenile is that he is a pedophile...

and believe me--as a mom--I never had to shower with my kids to show them how to wash...
and plenty of boys can know how to take a shower (meaning a thorough cleaning of the body) and choose to just get wet and get out...

is that not correct?
This just gets worse and worse. Every time one of his lawyers opens his mouth, they just dig a deeper hole for their client. Not to mention, of course, how much worse Sandusky has made it for himself by doing those interviews. This latest attorney's comment about teaching the kids to shower really takes the cake, though. How stupid do they think the general public is? Do they actually think there is anyone dumb enough to fall for Sandusky's "big goofy overgrown kid" act? I was reading that even his "child-like voice" is a classic symptom of a pedophile. Do they think that all these interviews and outrageous excuses will garner sympathy for him or plant the seed of doubt in people's minds? I suppose, sadly, they do.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:08 PM

3,710 posts, read 1,528,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
So, you see the homosexual rape of young men as some sort of positive political statement? Do you go to a shrink?
No, I see another radical from out in far left field, who demonizes everyone who doesn't swallow their agenda whole, rather than taking the time to think.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,221,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
No, I see another radical from out in far left field, who demonizes everyone who doesn't swallow their agenda whole, rather than taking the time to think.
Thank you. You prove my point.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,001,182 times
Quote:
Have not been on this thread for several days--
I think people are going off track
surprised some of these comments haven't been abridged...

plus because he seems to be from less-intellectual part of the country in small town PA he is more likely than not to be involved with people who are more conventional in that they don't challenge authority (and Sandusky represented authority as a coach with PSU
And I'm also not so sure if it has anything to do with intellectual level or the trusting of others in a small town community. I think those who may have had any concrete information on Sandusky probably had their lives threatened so they wouldn't expose Sandusky.

I believe that the local DA Gricar was murdered because of the info that he did have. It doesn't make any sense to me that someone who commits suicide actually stops to think about, nor care about, pulling the hard drive from their laptop before they kill themselves.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM

I have read couple of stories about that DA's possible connection to a coverup and the nature of his disappearance--
supposedly he had just started investigating big drug ring in that area--some people think if he were murdered that it was the people behind the drug ring--

his daughter and his nephew both have divergent opinions about what happened to him and why--

I know that some people just don't want to know--when people with power are in the danger zone--they just try to lay low and stay out of the way--
think that lot of people IF they had suspicions probably just chose to look the other way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania