Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM

131 posts, read 741,905 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are planning a camping vacation to PA with our dog in a couple of weeks. We're circling down through the Alleghenies to Altoona and State College area, and back up through the PA 'Grand Canyon'. We are looking for interesting and off-the-beaten track places to hike and site-see, and any lakes/rivers/streams where we might be able to let our dog swim. We were going to camp in State parks, but many of them are not pet-friendly, and there is a no alcohol rule - how strictly do they enforce that - we can't have a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer after a long hike!?! Any tips or advice on places to go or camp would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 AM

18 posts, read 163,078 times
What exactly do you have a desire to do? Are you only looking to hike, or are you interested in other outdoor activities? I grew up in this area and could probably give you some good ideas but I'm not really sure on what you want to do. My first recommendation, especially if you are going camping, is to do some research on Raystown Lake. This is probably a 40 minute drive from either Altoona or State College, but is easily accessible from both places. If you are coming in a few weeks, then you should start to see some fall foliage and it's really beautiful.

Some info about Raystown:
It is the largest manmade lake in PA and one of the staples of the tourism in my native Huntingdon County. It's pretty big - I believe 26 miles in length. The project was part of the Army Corps of Engineers' effort to regulate water levels in the rivers that had some bad floods in the '70s. The last time I rented a campsite there it was $10 a night. You can certainly camp there, hike in the woods surrounding the lake, fish if you so choose, rent a boat for a day if you wish, and your dog would probably love it and believe me no one is going to say anything about you taking your dog for a swim (if anyone is even around you to say anything).

Again, this is just an initial suggestion, but if you are looking to stay closer to Altoona or State College I could probably come up with some things there as well.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 PM

131 posts, read 741,905 times
Been away from my computer for the weekend, so couldn't get back to you, Dave. I've noted Raystown Lake on my map - thanks. We like campgrounds that are woodsy, with private sites that don't have the 'camping in an open field' effect.

We are looking for good (moderate) hiking areas, with perhaps scenic vistas, or a secluded lake or waterfall, where we or our dog could have a swim. We like to find 'off-the-beaten' track places, where there aren't swarms of people.

We also like historic towns and heritage homes that we can tour, and try to investigate them wherever we visit. We also like antiquing and 'artsy', 'crunchy granola', communities. So some advice on small towns & villages to visit would be great.

We don't plan on travelling as far as the Pittsburgh area, but will be sticking to west-central PA. We may go as far south as Bedford.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 20,629 times
Hi,
I grew up in Bedford, it has become a very nice tourist-oriented (but not yucky touristy) town, lots of history and interesting architecture. It's not that much further south of Altoona. Bedford Springs Resort is a must see, recently was completely renovated and restored, some is still in progress, but just beautiful from what my parents have told me, can't wait to see it the next time I am up there.
Hope you have a great trip!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
Hope this isn't too late!

We stayed at this campground, quite isolated and enjoyable. Not many (tent-only) sites.

There are other great spots to stay in Rothrock as well!

Pennsylvania State Parks - Penn-Roosevelt - PA DCNR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania