U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM

943 posts, read 806,763 times

Advertisements

Why PA?
What's the draw? ... From Harrisburg toward the east, Lehigh Valley, or even NEPA
people who consider PA as the place to move to, name some reasons YOU think its grand.
So many people I've chatted with on City Data are considering a move here from another state.. but just aren't salivating yet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:06 PM

270 posts, read 384,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Why PA?
What's the draw? ... From Harrisburg toward the east, Lehigh Valley, or even NEPA
people who consider PA as the place to move to, name some reasons YOU think its grand.
So many people I've chatted with on City Data are considering a move here from another state.. but just aren't salivating yet.
I'm retiring next year. I am originally from NYC. I have lived in FL for over 30 years. Moved here for a job (not the weather). I am considering several cold-weather states for retirement as I am sick and tired of HOT, HUMID weather. Pennsylvania is one of the states I am considering. I can give you my reasons.

First, the terrain in the area I am considering (Lancaster area) is gorgeous. The weather in the winter while cold, is not MI or MN type of cold. The Lancaster area gets on average 20" snow per year.

Second, from the Lancaster area, you can get to NYC, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Atlantic City reasonably easy. In fact, I believe Amtrak runs in excess of 12 trains/day to NYC. Thus, plenty of city amenities fairly close by.

Third, medical care is abundant in the area. Baltimore has one of the best hospitals in the country (Johns Hopkins) for something major. While it is not in PA, it is close enough to strongly consider it. I understand that the Lancaster hospital is also very good.

Housing in the Lancaster area doesn't seem to be out of sight (yet). The crime rate is a lot lower than what we have here in Orlando.

My one concern (and it's a little one) is the perception that the locals are not that welcoming of outsiders. We're not social butterflies so I don't see that as a negative.

Also, PA would not be taxing my pension, Social Security or 401K distribution. That's about it for PA. I can go on and on about my other choices (upstate NY, CO) but this is a PA forum. Every place has its good and bad. If someone decreed that I would have to spend the rest of my life in the Lancaster area of PA, it wouldn't break my heart.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Good reasons!

How about entertainment for 50+ y/o ... is there lots to do to keep me busy? How about Hershey.. its not just about the chocolate~but what else goes on there?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Good reasons!

How about entertainment for 50+ y/o ... is there lots to do to keep me busy? How about Hershey.. its not just about the chocolate~but what else goes on there?
I guess it would depend on what your interests are. If you are into the cultural things, you couldn't beat NYC. I'm sure that all the major cities I mentioned above have great restaurants. From what I have read here, Harrisburg and Lancaster have plenty of restaurants and some kind of nightlife.

I'm into the Yankees so I would be able to catch them in NYC and Baltimore. I also follow the NY Rangers in the winter. All the cities mentioned above have NHL teams close by. There are minor league teams close by as well.

That part of PA seems to have an excellent inter-city transportation infrastructure.

Orlando is so geared to the theme parks. My kids are grown so I have no desire to see the "mouse" ever again. I never learned to swim, I don't play golf, I don't fish and I don't own a boat. Florida to me would probably be the last place I would have considered moving to. However, my employer dangled the almighty greenback in front of me to move here and the rest is history.

I can't tell you too much about Hershey as I have only been there a couple of times. Didn't seem too much there besides the park. However, I am sure that the locals can chime in and list all the events that occur locally in the summer in all the towns around Lancaster/Hershey.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,162,365 times
After living in CA for many years, I feel like a stranger here as it has changed and not for the good. I really miss people with whom I share similar values and respect the land. I miss the Italian and Polish neighborhoods which we don't have in the Bay Area. There is a great Little Italy section of San Francisco but I can't go there often enough. I haven't had a good pierogi in years. Grandma didn't teach me how to make her's.

But, all that PA/Ohio fracking is a concern which is holding me back. I found some wonderful homes in Penn Hills at a great price but have heard that Sect. 8 housing is a problem there so that also is giving me pause to think. I'm not sure PA is grand, but there is no place like home.

Taxes in retirement are a huge issue.

The clock is ticking so we need to decide where to retire, soon.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Heidi..OMG We could talk for days about what you've written below..
I hear you!
Oh, by the way, go to google IMAGES for fracking map of PA and you'll see the chart..where to go/where to stay away from.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Here's one:
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/pennsylvania/explore/marcellus_existing_projected_50pct.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, by the way, go to google IMAGES for fracking map of PA and you'll see the chart..where to go/where to stay away from.
The Lancaster area seems to be far enough way from the fracking issue. Also, the area of upstate NY I was considering is also not included in the Marcellus area. But, it certainly is something to think about.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Hoping we can talk about the positives here. Please.

Look what I found!!! 365 Things to do in Eastern PA | Facebook

Lots of great places to bring grandchildren too.. Lititz has a little railroad for kids.

the great authentic home-baked foods in PA and those pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

Taxes in retirement are a huge issue.

The clock is ticking so we need to decide where to retire, soon.

See this website: State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

I think that PA is more than fair to retirees as far as income taxes are concerned. And this is for a blue state in the Northeast. Surprisingly, NYS is pretty good about retiree taxes as well. It's the property taxes that are an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania