U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM

9,694 posts, read 11,698,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
That "family values " phrase has been conservative code for being homophobic for years. Santorum was the worst and most divisive politician we ever elected in this state and we got rid of him as fast as we could. He's a religious extremist who does not respect anyone who doesn't have his narrow world view.
As fast as you could? He served for 16 years.

I haven't seen him disrespecting anyone, he merely has an opinion on how he chooses to live his family life.

I think we all have the right and freedom to choose who we want or don't want in our lives and because you do not support the gay lifestyle doesn't mean you are homophobic.

And in recent times much of what he says is taken out of context in order to drive a leftist agenda:

Santorum | Dan Savage | The deceit of Dan Savage | The Daily Caller

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM

9,694 posts, read 11,698,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I can agree with your first sentence. However, calling all people who support traditional families homophobic is just plain pathetic and uninformed.
Traditional family units go back thousands of years and has been the foundation of any successful society. I find it "weird" that these other people propose these alternative lifestyles as "mainstream".

Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,002,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
As fast as you could? He served for 16 years.

I haven't seen him disrespecting anyone, he merely has an opinion on how he chooses to live his family life.

I think we all have the right and freedom to choose who we want or don't want in our lives and because you do not support the gay lifestyle doesn't mean you are homophobic.

And in recent times much of what he says is taken out of context in order to drive a leftist agenda:

Santorum | Dan Savage | The deceit of Dan Savage | The Daily Caller
"the gay lifestyle". Here's my gay lifestyle. Get up at 8am. Go to work. Come home. Eat dinner. Watch TV. Go to bed. On the weekends try to spend quality time with my partner and our friends

When people like you, including Rick Santorum, use the term "gay lifestyle" your thinly veiled homophobia shines like the sun.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-10-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM

9,878 posts, read 9,038,295 times
Although he wasn't elected from Virginia, that's where he's from now, or at least I think it is. That's where he was from while he was still serving as senator. It would be pretty funny if he suggests he's from Pennsylvania.

He's said/done a lot of wacky stuff, but the thing that most sticks in my head is claiming that a tiny 2 BR house in Penn Hills was his primary residence, for him, his wife, and 5 children. (I think it was 5 at the time and he has 7 now? Something like that.) Yeah, right. And then on top of that he tried to make the Penn Hills school district pay for the schooling of them at PA Cyber Charter School. Meanwhile, he had a large house in northern Virginia. I mean, I get that he would want to have the wife and kids near his work while in session or otherwise never see them, but you have to be reasonable about it. The way it stood at the time, he couldn't possibly have been a local resident even when the Senate was not in session, which is about 1/3 of the year.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM

41,352 posts, read 45,359,696 times
Maybe people need a visual to understand the scam he was running to steal from Pennsylvania taxpayers.

Here's a picture of the small house in Penn Hills he claimed as a residence for himself, his wife, and five children.

Here's the Virignia house they really lived in:
http://www.washingtonian.com/block_dbimages/11351/santorum.jpg (broken link)

Here's their current house:

Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM

9,878 posts, read 9,038,295 times
Wow, it looks like he still lives in Virginia and STILL at least sometimes claims he lives in Penn Hills! (And I messed up; apparently the house actually does have 3 BR, so maybe he can cram the 7 kids in there like the old days. Yeah, right.)

This looks like a pretty good rundown of the whole thing, posted just last week: Iowa Caucus: Rick Santorum's PA Residency Remains Issue - Roxborough-Manayunk, PA Patch

Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 PM

41,352 posts, read 45,359,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Wow, it looks like he still lives in Virginia and STILL at least sometimes claims he lives in Penn Hills! (And I messed up; apparently the house actually does have 3 BR, so maybe he can cram the 7 kids in there like the old days. Yeah, right.)
Especially since it's one of those tiny cap codes where the bedrooms at 10'x10'! I'm utterly amazed he still claims he's living in Penn Hills!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 PM

9,523 posts, read 7,939,487 times
Family values are a personal policy, not a government policy. Look out for your own family; lead by example, and mind your own business. If enough social conservatives bothered to do these things instead of trying to legislate everybody else's morals, then family values would promote themselves.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 PM

26,002 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Family values are a personal policy, not a government policy. Look out for your own family; lead by example, and mind your own business. If enough social conservatives bothered to do these things instead of trying to legislate everybody else's morals, then family values would promote themselves.
^ Sheer brilliance.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 AM

439 posts, read 206,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
"the gay lifestyle". Here's my gay lifestyle. Get up at 8am. Go to work. Come home. Eat dinner. Watch TV. Go to bed. On the weekends try to spend quality time with my partner and our friends

When people like you, including Rick Santorum, use the term "gay lifestyle" your thinly veiled homophobia shines like the sun.
So because I choose not to do the things you do with other men, that makes me homophobic? I guess by your definition, that makes you heterophobic since when people like you use the term "homophobia", your thinly veiled heterophobia shines like the sun. See how that works?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-10-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: removed previously deleted remark from quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania