U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM

356 posts, read 433,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
Wow nrossy....you and all the women who "think" just like you is what is making me want to vomit..I am a woman...if I had a child out of wedlock...I WOULD HAVE SUPPORTED THEM ON MY OWN....sadly, you had a choice if you had this child or not...

By the way, Velvet Jones..thanks for the response...
I disagree with this. Unless the woman in question purposefully got pregnant while the man thought she was on birth control, he should have to pay for his child. (Although in cases like this I think the woman should have her head examined to see if she's stable to raise the child).

Now on the subject of college tuition, no I don't. Just like married parents, divorced/never married parents should not be forced to pay for their kids to go to school either. My married parents didn't pay for me, you just find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 AM

14,428 posts, read 8,502,578 times
I think if the custodial parent is helping to pay for college, the non-custodial parent should chip in as well. Should. However, I don't think parents should be legally compelled to.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM

89 posts, read 125,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
I disagree with this. Unless the woman in question purposefully got pregnant while the man thought she was on birth control, he should have to pay for his child. (Although in cases like this I think the woman should have her head examined to see if she's stable to raise the child).

Now on the subject of college tuition, no I don't. Just like married parents, divorced/never married parents should not be forced to pay for their kids to go to school either. My married parents didn't pay for me, you just find a way.

Well, I believe that unfortunately...the "woman in question" scenario is the case more times than you would believe...

Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM

17,082 posts, read 10,095,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrossy View Post
What is twisted to me is the fact that a man has to pay his wife (who is a functioning adult, capable of earning a living) alimony for life in some cases (although she is not on some medical disability) and he is forced to live in a one bedroom apartment and she gets everything????? yet a child gets set free at 18 in most states. A child or an adult, as you so graciously put it, is supposed to find means to support themselves through full-time college and the non-custodial parent is totally off the hook. This is bull$^@&. Being a single parent and doing the best I can for my daughter, is NOT enough! To me, as long as the child/adult is a full-time student, some form of support should be mandatory.
I don't think YOU should get any more money for this child. IF there is any money paid it should go directly to the child or tuition for school but NOT TO YOU.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I believe that unfortunately...the "woman in question" scenario is the case more times than you would believe...

I don't believe that it happens as much as some people want to believe. Yes, it does certainly happen, but not to the degree you are insinuating.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM

2,504 posts, read 1,806,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think if the custodial parent is helping to pay for college, the non-custodial parent should chip in as well. Should. However, I don't think parents should be legally compelled to.
The original question was in regard to a court ordered payment. I'm not arguing that a parent shouldn't help out their kids if they have the means to do so. That's being a good parent. I just don't think a court should have the power to invent some new parental responsibility where one normally doesn't exist.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM

210 posts, read 175,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrossy View Post
What is twisted to me is the fact that a man has to pay his wife (who is a functioning adult, capable of earning a living) alimony for life in some cases (although she is not on some medical disability) and he is forced to live in a one bedroom apartment and she gets everything????? yet a child gets set free at 18 in most states. A child or an adult, as you so graciously put it, is supposed to find means to support themselves through full-time college and the non-custodial parent is totally off the hook. This is bull$^@&. Being a single parent and doing the best I can for my daughter, is NOT enough! To me, as long as the child/adult is a full-time student, some form of support should be mandatory.
Like everything, alimony can be abused. That said, if a woman has sacrificed her career outside the home to support her family, she should be entitled to some support from her ex-husband, if he has the financial ability to pay it.

I do not believe child support or alimony should put such a strain on the non-custodial parent that they are living in a one bedroom apartment, eating buttered noodles every night for dinner.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
Like everything, alimony can be abused. That said, if a woman has sacrificed her career outside the home to support her family, she should be entitled to some support from her ex-husband, if he has the financial ability to pay it.

I do not believe child support or alimony should put such a strain on the non-custodial parent that they are living in a one bedroom apartment, eating buttered noodles every night for dinner.
^^^This.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM

89 posts, read 125,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post

I as well to this one...unfortunately, the courts and Pennsylvania included does NOT care at all about the non-custodial parent's living conditions...my husband was originally told when the mother wanted more than he was able to pay that "he didn't care if my husband lived under a bridge"....wow...that enlightened me to the whole "system"....she never even had to show documentation on why she wanted more and more and more...not once...they just took her word for it...things like day care, etc...never had to show one documented bill or invoice proving the child was even in day care??? Maybe it was just that particular county in Pennsylvania but my gosh....really? Enough said....

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM

210 posts, read 175,905 times
Quote:
I as well to this one...unfortunately, the courts and Pennsylvania included does NOT care at all about the non-custodial parent's living conditions...my husband was originally told when the mother wanted more than he was able to pay that "he didn't care if my husband lived under a bridge"....wow...that enlightened me to the whole "system"....she never even had to show documentation on why she wanted more and more and more...not once...they just took her word for it...things like day care, etc...never had to show one documented bill or invoice proving the child was even in day care??? Maybe it was just that particular county in Pennsylvania but my gosh....really? Enough said....

Slightly off topic, but I see you are in Myrtle Beach, and it doesn't appear you are enjoying it. Although I could be making a false assumption.

My wife and I have vacationed twice a year in North Myrtle Beach for The last 8 years. She recently applied to teach kindergarten at Green Sea Elementary.

Should we reconsider this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania