U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:14 PM

14 posts, read 12,002 times

Advertisements

It sounds like there's ate areas all over PA that would suit us if we come, which is good news as I guess in the end we will just go to whichever side he gets offered a job.

To answer and earlier question that think I forgot about, we are not from inner city Melbourne. I have lived in there at different times (Elwood, williamstown and yarraville) then we took a bit of a "sea change" and had 2 acres in emerald, then 3 acres in upper beaconsfield, now we are in pakenham so very much suburbia, but 65kms out of the cbd (outer south eastern). So we have had a bit of e everything. We wouldn't want a tiny town where there is no where to go out to dinner, or no where to shop, but we aren't looking for a big nightlife either. Something in between the two. In November her will sit the navle, then start applying for jobs, and if he gets one, and a visa, then we will give it a good go. Nothing is forever, so if it wasn't for us for whatever reason, we can come back and say wow, what an experience. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm excited but nervous about it, but we have a good amount of time to really plan it, so I think we will be ok.

Thank you for the very kind offer of showing us around when we come if we are over your way. That's the good old Aussie way that seems to have all but vanished over here! May e all the good ones are in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 603 times
hey im an australian im currently living in pennsylvania at the moment, halfway between york and lancaster
i find it to be a very nice place, i came over here to escape the high cost of living in australia
i used to live around the newcastle area and to be perfectly honest york reminds me alot of newcastle, train tracks running through the city old architecture buildings, when it comes to buying electronics its rediculously cheaper over in USA, same with cars and real estate im currently trying to sell my house back in australia, it took me about 20 minutes to open a bank account with bank of america, getting used to the imperial system is the only problem, converting from kilometres to miles is probably the easiest and even converting from celsius to farenheit isnt to bad can do those in your head easy enough but trying to convert fluid ounces and gallons into litre's i gave up and just got a calculator, while ive been over here i've sort of been messing around a bit though telling people im french, lithuanian, russian, but when people take a guess where im from they usually guess that im brittish i had one guy the other day think i was from scotland, got no bloody idea how the hell you can mistake scottish for australian

*just noticed you said you were from pakenham, always one of my favourite spots for jokes especially the northern area of that town... pakenham upper
i wonder how many people will get that joke

Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 603 times
oh whatever you do don't move to spring grove there is a paper milling plant there and the smell that emenants from that place is foul

Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 AM

14 posts, read 12,002 times
I am not from Pakenham Upper just the standard pakenham, phew! yep that might be a bit of an Aussie joke?? We won't be moving for 6-12 months, but its definitely what we will do if the job offer/visa falls into place. Cant wait, thanks for your info. And yes, I think I will go with a calculator!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania