U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
 
3,649 posts, read 2,255,894 times
Reputation: 2086

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not so fast UK. What if an accident occurs and the person driving was texting. They were breaking the law, so the penalties will be greater. It is possible for a cop to see someone text in a car and write them a ticket. Also, some people don't want to break the law.

Personally, I don't text while driving. I don't really text and don't understand whey people do it so often. It is a slow way to communicate.
The only way this would be enforceable after an accident is with proof - do the phone records note whether a text is incoming or outgoing? I don't really know the answer, i just seem to recall that my phone records say generically the time & number but not incoming or outgoing.

Some people might admit to it, but outside of that there needs to be real proof & if that is available then yes, I see that being considered in serious accidents but not outside of that. Even then though, ok, you killed someone - we're charging you with reckless driving, manslaughter AND now a $50 fine on top of that.

If a cop said he saw you, unless you were doing it while he was right outside your window you can just say I was reading the news, inputting my gps, checking Facebook, etc.

A more general law about distracted driving would have been
much better from an enforcement point of view but personally im not a fan of giving the police an ever increasing probable cause purview to stop motorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,888 posts, read 10,179,447 times
Reputation: 4703
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
actually studies have shown that talking to passengers is much less distracting than talking to someone on the phone
Really? Because I have personally experienced and witnessed the opposite, more distraction when in the midst of conversation with passengers than with a quick handheld phone call.

And hands-free does not negate the effect of the phone call at all. That one is the silliest to me, as if holding the phone is the biggest part of the problem. The one-handed driving is the smallest part of the danger with the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
13,203 posts, read 10,860,211 times
Reputation: 20438
This accident happened a few months back: Knoch student killed behind wheel while texting

Quote:
"She was actively texting at the time of impact," Lt. Eric Hermick of the Butler barracks of the Pennsylvania State Police said Wednesday. Crash site investigators reported finding a cell phone at the scene, with a text message partially written, he said.
Alex died just hours after the state Senate gave final approval to a ban on texting while driving. The bill, also approved by the state House, will be sent to the office of Gov. Tom Corbett, who plans to sign it. The texting ban will take effect 120 days after the bill is signed.
If the state had passed a texting-while-driving ban several years ago, "maybe it could have made a difference," state Sen. Jim Ferlo, D-Highland Park, who was a strong advocate for a ban on texting, said in an email.
Just passing a ban isn't going to keep teenagers like the girl above from texting and driving. It has to be behavioral, not legislative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,661 posts, read 7,995,892 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This accident happened a few months back: Knoch student killed behind wheel while texting



Just passing a ban isn't going to keep teenagers like the girl above from texting and driving. It has to be behavioral, not legislative.
I have a feeling most kids won't do it if they worry about being caught and losing their license. Obviously films of gruesome car wrecks shown in school won't hurt either. A picture is worth a 1000 words as they say. I still remember a film they showed us in drivers ed in the stone age when I was a kid. Pretty gross, but effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
 
482 posts, read 521,404 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have a feeling most kids won't do it if they worry about being caught and losing their license. Obviously films of gruesome car wrecks shown in school won't hurt either. A picture is worth a 1000 words as they say. I still remember a film they showed us in drivers ed in the stone age when I was a kid. Pretty gross, but effective.
If they get caught drinking and driving, the consequences are they lose their license. our school had a day where the fire department would come in and simulate a car accident (cars already wrecked) and rescue operation. Then, we'd be shown gruesome pictures of DUI accidents.

After knowing the possible consequences, kids and adults still do it... what's to say it will be different if the things are shown for texting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
 
738 posts, read 607,126 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Really? Because I have personally experienced and witnessed the opposite, more distraction when in the midst of conversation with passengers than with a quick handheld phone call.

And hands-free does not negate the effect of the phone call at all. That one is the silliest to me, as if holding the phone is the biggest part of the problem. The one-handed driving is the smallest part of the danger with the phone.
Perhaps you are adept at one-handed driving. There are plenty of people who plain suck at it. Watch some bozo try to make a tight right-hand turn while holding a phone with their left hand. Also, people are much less likely to use turn signals if they only have one hand available.

Then, add smoking a cigarette to the equation, which it seems like a lot of people do, and you are out of hands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
13,203 posts, read 10,860,211 times
Reputation: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Perhaps you are adept at one-handed driving. There are plenty of people who plain suck at it. Watch some bozo try to make a tight right-hand turn while holding a phone with their left hand. Also, people are much less likely to use turn signals if they only have one hand available.

Then, add smoking a cigarette to the equation, which it seems like a lot of people do, and you are out of hands!
Definitely. Most of the time when I notice a driver tailing, weaving, erratically speeding up or slowing down, blowing through stop signs, neglecting to yield, etc., I also notice they're on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,499 posts, read 7,734,220 times
Reputation: 4689
We had driver's education back in the day, course I was driving a Fred Flinstone car. Just google Signal 30 and you'll see the old scare 'em straight films that were very graphic.

Maybe they should bring them back, too many kids driving like it's a video game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
 
Location: ɥbɹnqsʇʇıd
4,479 posts, read 3,225,514 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
We had driver's education back in the day, course I was driving a Fred Flinstone car. Just google Signal 30 and you'll see the old scare 'em straight films that were very graphic.

Maybe they should bring them back, too many kids driving like it's a video game.
I watched some of those vids when I went to driving school in the early 2000's. It was actually more of a "whoa cool" moment than a "scared straight" moment. Thanks internet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
 
Location: About 10 miles north of Pittsburgh International
2,168 posts, read 2,075,727 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
We had driver's education back in the day, course I was driving a Fred Flinstone car. Just google Signal 30 and you'll see the old scare 'em straight films that were very graphic.

Maybe they should bring them back, too many kids driving like it's a video game.
I still remember some of the scenes from Signal 30. But at 16 you're indestructible...

I see texting as worse than a phone conversation, because unless you're very, very good at it, there's a lot of "head down" time, where you're looking somewhere besides the road. And if you're distracted enough to let a cop get close enough to see you texting while driving, that just proves you weren't paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top