Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Incorrect. Last time I voted, it was in a church. When I lived in NJ, it was the local High School, which I guess is technically a government organization.

Also, links to documented cases of voter fraud? The NSA listens to every phone call you make, and reads all emails, yet there is voter fraud going on?
I was talking about registering to vote, not voting in particular, so read again, but in any case if people are that hermitted they never leave the house, then I doubt they actually vote anyways. And if they do there are ways to make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
If we tell young adults there is free beer at the nearest college frat party; they would crawl there. If we tell our poor, there is 50% off on new iphone on the other side if town, they will find a way and find the money. Us senior citizens come out of the wood work for senior citizens day.

However, many calim that they don't have the time or the means to ensure they have the basic rights to vote. If people want things; they find a way. If they want others to think they are deprived; they do nothing. No matter what your physical condition or age, if you want to vote; you can find a way. There are many organizations that would be more than wiling to help somebody register; all people have to do is ask.

One illegally cast vote can nullify my vote. Why should I waste my time voting if we are not all on a level playing field? The more people scream that it is unfair; the more I suspect fraud.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I'm aware of that, but you have to buy the stamp and you've got to walk it down to your mailbox.

Again, all a bunch of excuses. If people are that out of it we don't need them voting.
You do realize that you are talking about many of our senior citizens, thousands who worked hard all of their lives and even fought for our country but now have mobility issues?? My mother sometimes can't get her mail across the street from her house because she doesn't think she has the energy to walk both ways. Her physical problems have nothing to do with her mental state. You do not have to drive anywhere to get a stamp. https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...s=catBuyStamps

If you want to argue about why it's no big deal to disenfranchise our elderly, it would be better to know what you are talking about.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I was talking about registering to vote, not voting in particular, so read again, but in any case if people are that hermitted they never leave the house, then I doubt they actually vote anyways. And if they do there are ways to make that happen.
I guess you don't interact too often with the older population, or have elderly relatives who need your help. THEY are the ones who have the highest percentage of participation in the voting process. They are also subject to physical ailments/limitations and transportation challenges. Thankfully, those who cannot get to their polling places can rely on absentee ballots.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One illegally cast vote can nullify my vote. Why should I waste my time voting if we are not all on a level playing field? The more people scream that it is unfair; the more I suspect fraud.
Again, links to voter fraud? Your suspicions are fine, but data would help. Here is an example of a fake voter fraud email.

Here are 2 examples of restricting people's right to vote via fake letters.

Against Republicans

Republican threatening Hispanic voters

Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You do realize that you are talking about many of our senior citizens, thousands who worked hard all of their lives and even fought for our country but now have mobility issues?? My mother sometimes can't get her mail across the street from her house because she doesn't think she has the energy to walk both ways. Her physical problems have nothing to do with her mental state. You do not have to drive anywhere to get a stamp. https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...s=catBuyStamps

If you want to argue about why it's no big deal to disenfranchise our elderly, it would be better to know what you are talking about.
So you are telling me that your mother has never had a government ID, never leaves her house, ever, and that you can't wheel your mother down to grab an ID so she can vote? Sorry but that's all excuses.

I'm very well aware of old folks and their issues. So I know what I am talking about.

Like Fisheye said and as I pointed out similarly before, when people want to do other things they find a way to make it happen. If people want to vote they will find a way to make it happen. There are tons of government organizations, federally funded transportation authorities, private organizations, friends, families and all the rest to assist people.

This whining, crying and sob stories that people have no ID, can't take 30 minutes to go get one and that they are "disenfranchised" oh boo hoo hoo, just goes to show how lazy and pathetic some in this society have gotten.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If we tell young adults there is free beer at the nearest college frat party; they would crawl there. If we tell our poor, there is 50% off on new iphone on the other side if town, they will find a way and find the money. Us senior citizens come out of the wood work for senior citizens day.

However, many calim that they don't have the time or the means to ensure they have the basic rights to vote. If people want things; they find a way. If they want others to think they are deprived; they do nothing. No matter what your physical condition or age, if you want to vote; you can find a way. There are many organizations that would be more than wiling to help somebody register; all people have to do is ask.

of course it isn't an even playing field but voter id will do nothing to stop politicians from being bought and sold which is the real problem.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I guess you don't interact too often with the older population, or have elderly relatives who need your help. THEY are the ones who have the highest percentage of participation in the voting process. They are also subject to physical ailments/limitations and transportation challenges. Thankfully, those who cannot get to their polling places can rely on absentee ballots.
Oh I interact all the time with old folks, many with mobility issues and have plenty of old timers for friends and relatives. So I don't know how you guys came up with that one.

Some of them can hardly walk or move but they make things happen, people help them or they figure out a way to get their mail, shop, visit and whatever else they need to do. I think all of them would laugh at those that act so pathetic they can't go and get a government issued ID so they could vote.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
My mother will be voting via an absentee ballot, but I was trying to point out that it's a hardship for her to just make it to her mailbox. Voting is not supposed to be something that you have to work hard to do or an obstacle to overcome. If something is not working than you fix it. Voter fraud is not a problem, and the "fix" is costly and unnecessary.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Again, links to voter fraud?
That's like asking how many people went through stop signs today, this is not crime where you have a dead body and know it was committed. You're asking to prove something without the means to prove it.

You prove how many votes were cast that were legitimate in this last election... you can't.

I've already post this once but it needs to be repeated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

When you have instances where a poll worker voted 5 times (and I'll note there was 2 others convicted of same crime and 2 others awaiting trial in same county), a Florida county where 100 people were found to be illegally registered and many had voted where a news station simply compared voter registrations to jury duty forms and an estimated 24 million invalid or significantly inaccurate voter registrations.... We know the potential is enormous, that is undeniable.

If you took the amount of fraudulent votes cast during the 2000 Florida election and subtracted them form Bush's and Gore's totals does Gore win? That's a plausible scenario.

Voter ID is the one step in correcting these issues, it can't be the last step and fraud with absentee ballots needs to be looked at next.
I'm goiing to get out my crystal ball, this law will stand and there will be a large number of "registered voters" that will not get the ID, this is actually one of the primary arguments used to suspend this law. The left is going to still complain about voter disenfranchisement and the right is going to go "See, told you so". We won't know who is right because it's something that can not be proved one way or the other. What will know is every single person that voted at the polls had the right to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania