Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 PM

6 posts, read 16,154 times

Advertisements

I was hoping that somebody would be able to give me some imput on the various towns in PA. My husband and I are considering moving from Staten Island, NY to Pennsylvania. We have three young children so good schools and a safe area are a priority. I am a science teacher and my husband is a registered nurse. We are looking to spend around $400,000. We are not very familiar with PA other than Camelback Ski Mountain. The main reason for us to move is that we want a better quality of life for our kids. Any help you can give would be appreciated. We have been looking at the LTS Builders homes website and loved what we saw. On Staten Island $400,000 would never be able to buy a detached home in a nice area so we have become a bit discouraged looking here. However, we really don't want to be too far from Staten Island because all of our family is here. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM

169 posts, read 661,075 times
Why not check out the Lehigh Valley? I moved from Brooklyn to the Poconos 10 years aog and it was a big culture shock for us. We ended up moving to the Lehigh Valley 5 years ago and we are much happier. Its hard when you live in NY and you are used to it taking you less than 5 minutes to get to a store, that is not the case in the Poconos. However the lehigh valley reminds me more of Long Island yet you are close to most major stores, shopping areas.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
I grew up on Long Island so I know culture shock after living in Luzerne county for a few years (about 20 miles east of the poconos) - it was not great. Currently we are outside Philly - very nice but very expensive - but will be moving to the Lehigh Valley in October (Macungie, East Penn School DIstrict).

Check it out - lots of new construction and resales, and that $400k should get you something nice.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:02 PM

274 posts, read 1,400,521 times
Default To have less culture shock from SI....

I'd suggest looking in the areas of suburban Phila. It will be a bit more expensive than the Poconos or maybe even Allentown/Bethlehem, but you can still find a pretty nice house in Montgomery Co., Delaware county etc. for $400,000. It won't be a new home, though.
However, I think it's a good compromise so that you are closer to a city atmosphere, but much less exp. and frantic than Staten Island.
Good luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 01:35 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
you can still find a pretty nice house in Montgomery Co. for $400,000.
Sure can - wanna buy mine? We keep dropping the price, so you can now get it for under $400k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania