Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,747 times

Advertisements

We are looking at buying a house on the 400 block of East Orange street in Lancaster City. We were wondering if this is a good neighborhood - i.e. safe, clean, minimal noise, etc. I know the block itself seems fine but what about the surrounding areas? If anyone is familiar with this neighborhood, could you please give me your input? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 AM

53 posts, read 84,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillxsearching View Post
We are looking at buying a house on the 400 block of East Orange street in Lancaster City. We were wondering if this is a good neighborhood - i.e. safe, clean, minimal noise, etc. I know the block itself seems fine but what about the surrounding areas? If anyone is familiar with this neighborhood, could you please give me your input? Thank you!!
It would serve you well to go to www.spotcrime.com/pa/lancaster. It will be a real eye-opener. Do as much homework as possible; I wish I had done more.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
what is harrass?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 22,590 times
Hi stillxsearching,

Where are you moving from? My husband and I were just in Lancaster this week to check it out for potential relocation. We are looking in the city area as well (near New Holland and Lemon). I would love to get your opinion of the area as an outsider.

We drove around the city both nights (after midnight) just to see what the area and surrounding area was like. We are from Kansas City and live in a "neighborhood in transition" and we thought the downtown of Lancaster seemed very liveable. We drove by the prison area and it seemed to get a little "grittier"--the houses did not look like they were being taken care of (boarded up, not painted, etc).

If anyone else from the downtown area could post more about the neighborhoods, that would be very helpful.

I was a little taken aback when I looked at the crime on Trulia for the downtown area, but it seems like it's going through a revitalization. I mean--Square One Coffee is right down the street and is open until ten... there are no coffee shops open that late near us in Kansas City. If that area of the city had a lot of crimes, people probably wouldn't visit the shop that late. (That's just my feeling). It was hard to figure out the city in just a few days, but my husband and I got a pretty good vibe from it overall.

Let me know if you decide to move there! You can PM message me if you want to know more about what I thought.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
From all accounts, Lancaster is a safe and vibrant city. However, like any city, certain neighborhoods are better than others. Talk to the locals and get their opinions (people who live in the city, not suburbanites who fear city-living).

Old 11-28-2017, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,375 times
Default Lancaster City Good or Bad

I am a Real Estate investor in Lancaster. I am originally from NYC. I live 2 miles outside the city. Lancaster is a city in transition. We have gang problems, drug problems, random shootings, drive bys, etc.

But we also have some of the finest restaurants, a thriving art and cultural center, theater that would rival any larger city.

Would I live dowtown... Yes. Would I have a security system, Absolutely. Would I be careful walking the streets, definitely. Moving from NYC to Lancaster I thought I left crime behind. No, in fact it is much more "personal" in that you are likely to know the victim, perp, area etc. because it is a small city.

I'm not saying don't buy in Lancaster (this afterall is where I invest my $); I am saying don't go in with blinders on, don't rely on your agent, do your own due diligence.

Lancaster is a city in TRANSITION.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:11 PM

417 posts, read 444,712 times
I am familiar with that neighborhood. It's safe for the most part, but not far from some areas that are not so safe. It is clean for an urban area. Orange St. is one of the main east-west streets through Lancaster, so there will be a noise element due to traffic, and probably your neighbors as well. Overall, it's fairly centrally located, very working class, and not a bad area to live.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Have you looked at buying in Manheim Township?

Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
The OP was looking to buy a house in 2012. I don't think he needs our advice anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania