Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM

130 posts, read 251,772 times

Advertisements

Mr Yuk is an uneducated poster forgive him guess he skipped math class! Duh how many millions does Paterno generate a yr? He built the whole town fool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Mr Yuk is an uneducated poster forgive him guess he skipped math class! Duh how many millions does Paterno generate a yr? He built the whole town fool
Uneducated? I'll take a good guess and say that you have no more than a high school diploma.

Who cares how many millions Paterno generated or how many insignificant football games he won? The guy was part of a conspiracy to keep a child molestation scandal quiet in order to keep making money from the football program.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 04-24-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
My problem with Penn State is the way they basically disowned Joe until after he died.

They should have let him retire instead of calling him up on the phone and firing him.

All the pomp and circumstance and praise and memorial displays on the stadium mega-screen and offers to name the stadium after him after he'd already died was too little too late in my opinion.

I don't think this university treated Joe Paterno right from November 2011 through the end of his life on earth ! They then tried to make up for it after he died, but that's too little too late, I think.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
The guy was part of a conspiracy to keep a child molestation scandal quiet in order to keep making money from the football program.
Possible, but unproven. It is suspicious that Sandusky quit in 1999. But if it's true that Joe Paterno deserved to be fired for covering up active child abuse, then why all the praise after he died ?

I think that Joe Paterno was a flawed man, just like everybody else, but that any mistakes that he made have been magnified due to the fact that he was the most famous current resident of Pennsylvania.

He admitted that he should have done more, but he didn't do nothing. He did report it to his nominal "superior" (Curley) and to someone involved with campus police (Schultz). Because of that, he was never charged with any crime.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i think that taxpayers should stop funding students to get worthless degrees. get a trade, cheap or free at jr college or military, a trade, dont leave home w/o it.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think that taxpayers should stop funding students to get worthless degrees. get a trade, cheap or free at jr college or military, a trade, dont leave home w/o it.
There are plenty of jobs out there that a college degree is necessary for. Plenty more that a graduate degree is necessary for.

Might as well stop funding public education altogether, since so much of that money is spent on "useless" topics such as literature, history, politics, science, math, music, art, foreign language.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
The guy was part of a conspiracy to keep a child molestation scandal quiet in order to keep making money from the football program.
As far as the "part of a conspiracy" from what I've read he made some very poor decisions but the blame lays squarely on the shoulders of the administration. Knowing his history I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, this was coach that demanded both excellence on and off the field. There is lot of football players that have gone through his program that have gone onto better things, that wouldn't be the case if they had gone to other schools.

As far the claim he did it for the money that's ridiculous, Joe Paterno wasn't a man about money.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The taxpayers aren't funding anything, the football program at Penn State generates revenue. A LOT of it.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM

207 posts, read 284,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
There are plenty of jobs out there that a college degree is necessary for. Plenty more that a graduate degree is necessary for.

Might as well stop funding public education altogether, since so much of that money is spent on "useless" topics such as literature, history, politics, science, math, music, art, foreign language.
I always find it funny when people take cheap shots like this at education. Getting a trade, not always the solution.. So I agree with you 100%. In a lot of cases don't you typically need a degree anyways to move up in said trade? At least I'd think most companies would want someone with extended education if they were to be considered for a leadership position.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_by_Cedar View Post
At least I'd think most companies would want someone with extended education if they were to be considered for a leadership position.
Davros can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the point is you have so many graduates with useless degrees. That may help but does it really make a difference if you're working at McDonald's because you can't find work in your field? On the other hand it could even be detrimental because you're four years behind in experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania