Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 26,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
the OP's description of the state makes it sound awful

fishing? redneck-ish? camp fires? what the.....?

and exclude philly? uhhhh isn't philly the largest population center in PA? isn't it like one of the largest population centers on the entire east coast? but according to you....we'll just skip over that minor little philly detail.... they dont count. .. they dont count because they dont fit into your lame description of the state... because ur description of the state does not accurately describe PA..... hence the reason we skip over Philly.

and PA does not invoke southerness....at all.
I really love the intellegence of some of the responses I am recieving. I am not bashing PA. It an outdoorsy state. Sorry buddy. Second of I meant exclude Phily from all the outdoorsy stuff. Furthermore, PA does have rednecks, what do you think coal crackers are? Steel worker? People need to really keep quite if they have no clue. Apparently your not from PA and you don't have a clue.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,699,580 times
The other states look down on Pa because they are the states above us ....duh. New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Maine?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 26,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
The other states look down on Pa because they are the states above us ....duh. New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Maine?
This question is getting a lot of negative responses, which really wasn't my intention...lol. Thanks for the humor. I think PA has alot in common with all three of the regions that surround it, don't ya think. I mean come on, I wear cowboy boots, live near a bunch of corn fields and also know right were to get a good slice. I don't think it gets much better than that.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,743,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
This question is getting a lot of negative responses, which really wasn't my intention...lol. Thanks for the humor. I think PA has alot in common with all three of the regions that surround it, don't ya think. I mean come on, I wear cowboy boots, live near a bunch of corn fields and also know right were to get a good slice. I don't think it gets much better than that.
mmm...sweet corn, tasty slice

Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,341,141 times
We aren't looked down upon by any other state.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-21-2012 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 04-21-2012, 03:19 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,940,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
Well, I guess you hit a nerve. Possibly a sign of PA sensitivity? Having lived in PA, NJ, and NY, I have to agree with you. PA is the rural hinterlands relatively speaking. Economically speaking it is quite a bit below NJ and somewhat below NY in cost of living, which is a sign of its status. And I think its perfectly logical to point out that Philadelphia is "different". Geologically speaking, its really more like NJ- by which I mean it is within a very fertile if not small region of flat agricultural land outside of the mining and logging region of the Appalachian formation that makes up most of the state.
It should be noted that from the other side of the state (Ohio and WVA) PA is viewed as a step up.
Personally I don't care much what the perception is. I love PA's rugged interior as well as its cities.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:02 AM

13,249 posts, read 33,377,925 times
steve06, NYC is not New York State and not all of NJ is more expensive then all of PA. I've lived in upstate NY and it's quite a bit like the Northern tier of PA, or the northwestern tip of NJ. South Jersey is, in parts, just as rural as parts of PA. Pennsylvania is "rural hinterlands"?? Have you looked at a map of the US? North Dakota is the rural hinterlands....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,669,141 times
Some people look down on other lifestyles, so there probably are urban/suburbanites from other states who look down on rural aspects of Pennsylvania, but it is more about lifestyle than state. There are plenty of rural areas in these other states as well. The OP knows this (which is why he left Philly out) and also knew he'd get more of a reaction by wording it the way he did.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,206,924 times
I have no idea where the title of this thread came from, because I've NEVER gotten the sense that people from other states look down on Pennsylvania. Some of those people may look down on rural life, and because Pennsylvania has a larger rural population than any other U.S. state, there may be segments of the state's population that are looked down upon, but urban people looking down on rural people is something that happens in every state. (Of course, the reverse also happens, but probably not quite as much.) I wouldn't be surprised if people from the NYC area look down on people who live in rural, upstate New York either.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 AM

628 posts, read 658,980 times
Fishing, hunting, camping are not "redneck" activities. For an example, my father does all three while wearing a yankees hat and speaking with a thick as hell new york accent. He's liberal with his politics and is the personification of the "east coast" mindset. While he is just one example there are hundreds of thousands of northeasterners just like him. The south does not have a monopoly on liking the outdoors.

Also, I lived in new jersey and new york all my life and have never looked down on PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania