Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The speed limit would also be lower in areas with tight bends or unusual curves.
That's pretty much the whole turnpike, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Exactly, Ohiogirl81. That road can test your patience, especially when it's slick.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No.

With the reconstruction taking place in western Pennsylvania, many curves have either been eliminated or dampened. This is not a problem in eastern Pennsylvania, where the land is relatively flat and the road is relatively straight.

Furthermore, as long as the right-of-way cross-section looks like this on four-lane segments...

12' exterior shoulder
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' TRAVEL LANE
4' interior shoulder
2' median barrier or 26' grass median
4' interior shoulder
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' exterior shoulder

82' total right-of-way

...or like this on six-lane segments...

12' exterior shoulder
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' interior shoulder
2' median barrier or 26' grass median
12' interior shoulder
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' TRAVEL LANE
12' exterior shoulder

122' total right-of-way

...then the highway meets modern Interstate standards, period, and is not "too narrow," according to AASHTO. The only factors that would reduce the speed limit are a combination of both steep grades and curves. That means the only segments likely to have a reduced speed limit due to design are a short segment including the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel plus two miles or so on each side, and the segment between Breezewood and the Blue Mountain Tunnel. That's a grand total of 43 miles on a 359-mile-long highway.

Otherwise, the only thing that'd lower the speed limit is traffic volume, which means that the segment near Philadelphia, and possibly a short segment near Pittsburgh, would more than likely be the only places effected. That'd be another, oh, 52 miles of Turnpike, meaning that the remaining 260 miles of Turnpike would have a speed limit of 70.

By the way, here are some "before" and "after" photos of construction on the Turnpike to illustrate just how thoroughly that I know what I'm talking about compared to everybody else:

MM 70 before

MM 70 after

MM 74 before

MM 74 after

These photos are from a recently-reconstructed segment in Westmoreland County. The majority of the highway in western Pennsylvania has been reconstructed from the ground up. The road bed is twice as thick now too, which means this segment won't have to be reconstructed for at least 50 years. Just the occasional resurfacing of the top layer of asphalt every so often.

But by all means, do me a favor and stay off the Turnpike, 'cuz it's narrow and dangerous! Stick to U.S. 30 instead, and leave those of us who aren't intimidated by Interstate driving alone.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Because of the cost of fuel; many trucking companies govern their trucks speed. Several companies have their truck’s speed set at anywhere between 58 mph to 62 mph.

On the outskirts of Albuquerque, New Mexico the speed limit is 75 mph on Route I-40. There are also signs stating that the minimum speed in the passing lane is 65 mph. Some of the governed trucks were not legally fast enough to pass!

I have driven though many states with speed limits higher than 65 mph. I never felt like it was more dangerous than our state - however; I do have concerns. One of the biggest safety concerns, of higher speed limits, are dark object on the highway at night. I saw one small red sports car hit a set of tandems, at night (that slid out from under a 53 foot trailer). The sports car was traveling at over 75 mph and there was not too much left. I once hit an ICC bumper, off commercial trailer and laying on blacktop at night, with my car. I was lucky - it did minimal damage; but it could have been much worse. Black bears and commercial truck tires laying in the roadway could also be a major problem at night in the higher speed limit areas.

The positive note to higher speed limits is that you will arrive at your destination quicker. There is less time to fall asleep at the wheel. It is also not as boring as driving at slower speeds.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
They can always make a different speed limit for night time: Google Image Result for http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/seguingazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/83/08347fc6-d421-11e0-b31c-001cc4c03286/4e5eb65d3d22f.preview-300.jpg

Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The positive note to higher speed limits is that you will arrive at your destination quicker. There is less time to fall asleep at the wheel. It is also not as boring as driving at slower speeds.
Honestly, this is one of the key reasons why I believe that the safest drivers are actually the ones driving slightly faster than the flow of traffic. In my experience, I'm more alert and keen to my surroundings at higher speeds. I make quicker decisions, and my maneuvers feel more fluid and less clumsy.

With that said, there are limits to smooth maneuverability and quick decision-making, which is why I say that my ideal cruising speed if there was no speed limit would be 85 to 90 on flat rural Interstates, and 75 to 80 on mountainous rural Interstates. Any faster would make me feel uncomfortable.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, this is one of the key reasons why I believe that the safest drivers are actually the ones driving slightly faster than the flow of traffic. In my experience, I'm more alert and keen to my surroundings at higher speeds. I make quicker decisions, and my maneuvers feel more fluid and less clumsy.

With that said, there are limits to smooth maneuverability and quick decision-making, which is why I say that my ideal cruising speed if there was no speed limit would be 85 to 90 on flat rural Interstates, and 75 to 80 on mountainous rural Interstates. Any faster would make me feel uncomfortable.
Probably; safety is more about driving to the existing conditions. If you have rain, snow, leaves, salt, traffic or curves - then you slow down. Aggressive driving, road rage and other emotional distractions take a toll on safety. Texting and drug use are always dangerous.

If all drivers could keep their mind on the primary job (driving) and use common sense; there would be no problem - even with higher speeds.

One problem I always had with speed enforcement is: You hardly ever see speed traps when the weather is bad. When you do see a speed trap; you have to presume it is a rookie! I think that our police do not like to get cold and wet? Of course our police respond in all weather when there is a accident. I always felt that it was silly to tell motorist to drive according to conditions and then not enforce our laws when the weather is bad.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Probably; safety is more about driving to the existing conditions. If you have rain, snow, leaves, salt, traffic or curves - then you slow down.
Well that's common sense. I have no problem driving below the speed limit in poor weather conditions. When there's snow, I drive no faster than 35 to 40 (I have all-season tires), and when there's ice, I drive no faster than 10 to 15. During rain, it depends on the intensity, and how well the road is shedding the water. Similarly with fog, it depends on how dense it is. I drive no faster than 45 to 50 if the fog is dense, or 35 to 40 the road isn't shedding water well.

Quote:
Aggressive driving, road rage and other emotional distractions take a toll on safety. Texting and drug use are always dangerous.
I believe that aggressive driving is simply the reaction to passive driving, so the way to alleviate aggressive driving is to start punishing the passive drivers for a change. Texting while driving is just one form of passive driving, because those who do it obviously believe that driving require so little effort that they can fiddle with their phones while they do it.

Quote:
If all drivers could keep their mind on the primary job (driving) and use common sense; there would be no problem - even with higher speeds.
Bingo. Stupidity kills, not speed. Saying that speed kills is like saying that guns kill people.

Quote:
One problem I always had with speed enforcement is: You hardly ever see speed traps when the weather is bad. When you do see a speed trap; you have to presume it is a rookie! I think that our police do not like to get cold and wet? Of course our police respond in all weather when there is a accident. I always felt that it was silly to tell motorist to drive according to conditions and then not enforce our laws when the weather is bad.
I don't think cops are even allowed to run radar during rainy conditions because people stabbing their brakes on a rain-slicked road could cause a crash. (People don't necessarily have to be exceeding the speed limit to stab their brakes when they see a cop either; it's the guilt complex.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania