U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 17,757 times
Default Moving to York,PA

My husband and I are thinking of moving to York, PA. We are an African-American family with a handicapped adult son. We live in the greater dc metro area now and are very tired of the rat race. Any thoughts on what this transition might be like? Before buying our home here we lived near the Poconos in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 AM

991 posts, read 3,304,043 times
I researched the are of Lancaster last year for special needs, I found that there were alot of services in the schools surrounding Lancaster, I hope this helps I also researched the Milford area in the Poconos and the Pittsburgh area I hope that this helps they were all helpful and seemed to be able to provide my daughter with what she needs per her IEP, she is 17.Good luck !

Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Thank you so much! It gives me a direction in terms of seeking placement for him.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 PM

8 posts, read 23,177 times
Default moving to York PA

This is the place I have lived for 54 years. The town is really growing. People are moving up from Baltimore because taxes and houses are lower, I suppose. I live out in the country and it only takes 15 minutes to Hanover and 15 minutes to West York and 20 from East York to do my shopping. Houses in the east part of York are really more expensive than the west. Some seem a quarter as much more. There is also alot more traffice in the east side. Houses south east are expensive, too towards Dallastown and Red Lion. We built in the south west of York back in 1978 because it was really country, but there are developements going up and now our taxes have really jumped. Schools are taxing all of us to death. Not like 30 years ago. But I suppose its like that everwhere. It takes about 45 minutes to Gettysburg and 1 hour to Harrisburg and 4 hours to the Atlantic Ocean. I don't know about special needs for children, though. But I'm sure since York is really booming, you won't have any problem. We have the York State Fair here in West York every Sept. and Apple Harvest Festival every Oct near Gettysburg. Harrisburg has great things happening all the time and of course there's Hershey park and big concerts there. I work with African American people in Harrisburg and alot of them are great and nice people to work with. They are really friendly and church goers. Good luck

Old 09-21-2006, 10:16 PM

1,834 posts, read 3,710,720 times
I went to college down in York. The area grew a lot durning my 4 years of college and I expect it continue to grow and improve over the next few years with the redevolpment of the Northwest triangle and the new baseball stadium that just broke ground. The place of life is a little bit slower than where I grew up in the suburbs of NY.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:18 PM

Thank you so much for the information. My husband and family traveled to York this past weekend and although we only got to see a few parts, we felt very at home. Somewhat away from the rat race. I believe we will be making it our home. Again, thank you!

Old 09-26-2006, 07:47 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,343,983 times
I'm from the DC area as well and my mom lives near Harrisburg and most of my extended family lives in the general Harrisburg/York region. My mom actually moved back there just last year (she's originally from there) to get away from the rat race as well and is very happy. I have to add one thing that I'd be remiss if I didn't mention, which is the fact that the area is very conservative as you may be aware, and a little behind the times in some issues, and race relations aren't exactly the greatest so it might be a bit of an adjustment coming from the multicultural DC area environment.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:16 PM

98 posts, read 298,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I'm from the DC area as well and my mom lives near Harrisburg and most of my extended family lives in the general Harrisburg/York region. My mom actually moved back there just last year (she's originally from there) to get away from the rat race as well and is very happy. I have to add one thing that I'd be remiss if I didn't mention, which is the fact that the area is very conservative as you may be aware, and a little behind the times in some issues, and race relations aren't exactly the greatest so it might be a bit of an adjustment coming from the multicultural DC area environment.
This is expected for many slow pace towns. Many parts of the Poconos are that way as well and once you get into the little towns in Pa wel that is how life is because that is All they know. People move away from the City and its Culture to Get Away to a Slower way of life.

You will like York- Good luck and Welcome to PA!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,915 times
Hi,

I am new to the York area. I moved here about 1 year ago from MA. It is very different here. I miss the coast and the friendliness. I am trying to hack it here but I find it difficult. Any suggestions?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM

9 posts, read 32,605 times
Default "That's all they know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinpa View Post
This is expected for many slow pace towns. Many parts of the Poconos are that way as well and once you get into the little towns in Pa wel that is how life is because that is All they know. People move away from the City and its Culture to Get Away to a Slower way of life.
"That is all they know?"

Puh-leeze. That is exactly how we feel about city dwellers. Nothing like living all jammed together to develop mass psychosis like liberalism.

One guy says it, the rest start repeating it, and pretty soon it's common knowledge, even if it's bullcrap. And if you dare to go your own way, you're ostracized. I live in York County. I've lived in Seattle. Grew up there. Stupider bunch of sheeple you'll never find.

Get to a more rural area, where there's some room to breathe. You'll be able to pursue truth and happiness on your own terms, and best of all, be left alone. If that appeals to you, you're probably already a conservative. If you want to control what other people think, go to a big city near you. You can follow the herd--and even think you're leading them.

Baaa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania