Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM

78,396 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Remember how everybody outside of Pennsylvania began to assume that Jerry Sandusky would be acquitted simply because some of the jury members have ties to Penn State, and that anybody who's even remotely associated with Penn State or State College is "out of touch with reality"? Well, ironically, they're the ones who are out of touch with reality, because the reality is that almost everybody in Centre County believes that Jerry Sandusky is guilty and wants to see him go to prison for the rest of his life. What a huge chasm between perception and reality!
Convicting Sandusky is one thing.

Now if we can only manage to deal with the people that want PSU to face no punishment because they can't go without their precious football and the spectre of NCAA sanctions is looming?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Now if we can only manage to deal with the people that want PSU to face no punishment because they can't go without their precious football and the spectre of NCAA sanctions is looming?
You know, I don't think that it's that they won't accept some form of "punishment" but calling for the death penalty is a bit much.
I'd rather see most football proceeds (for the few years ) go for therapy for victims of all sex abuse (not just Sandusky's victims) Education, and a good chunk sent to the Penn State Hershey Hospital Pediatric unit.

Home - Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital

Instead of tearing down, why not build up? Why take a program that can be used for a benefit and trash it?

In fact, if you look under the news tab on the link, it states that proceeds from the bowl games will be used to fight child abuse (paraphrase)
So, expand it and make them give up more proceeds

Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Sanctions don't have to involve the "death penalty," you know. They can involve reduced scholarships, TV blackouts, bowl bans, forfeiture of any revenue earned over and above team expenditures, or any combination of the above.

You seem to believe that the only way to atone for the innocent victims of Jerry Sandusky is by making many more innocent victims with the fallout. That's what's hilarious, and I'm done explaining your hypocrisy to you.

Go away.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
PSU football, as the more superficial among the crowd expect it, is finished. That might not prove to be a bad idea for a couple of years; this disaster is unique within the history of the sport, and might be recalled as an example of bad judgement long after all of us are gone.

But the viciousness expressed on this, and several other threads, is also likely to be viewed in a somewhat different light as time passes and cooler heads prevail. And there remains enough tradition among the Pennsylvania families long affiliated with the University to restart something when the circumstances are right.

So let the jackals bray, and let the lynch mob do its damnednest; you can still see the sun rise over Mount Nittany every morning, just as I did from Shunk Hall some 44 years ago.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If they don't find him guilty it will not reflect well on the community. Nationally we wonder why there have been 14 hours (at this point) of deliberation. Juries are strange in small towns.
Yeah, they probably should have rushed through the whole thing so they could get it over with.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Sanctions don't have to involve the "death penalty," you know. They can involve reduced scholarships, TV blackouts, bowl bans, forfeiture of any revenue earned over and above team expenditures, or any combination of the above.

You seem to believe that the only way to atone for the innocent victims of Jerry Sandusky is by making many more innocent victims with the fallout. That's what's hilarious, and I'm done explaining your hypocrisy to you.

Go away.
Gnutella, I totally get what you are saying and I agree with you. Way too many people want to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Well, I guess it's easier that way than thinking through the ultimate ramifications of knee-jerk reactions.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Gnutella, I totally get what you are saying and I agree with you. Way too many people want to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Well, I guess it's easier that way than thinking through the ultimate ramifications of knee-jerk reactions.

WHEN THE BATHWATER IS DIRTY YA CLEAN OUT ALL THE TUB AND START FRESH----penn state has not done that yet---adding clean water to dirty only mucks it up

Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
WHEN THE BATHWATER IS DIRTY YA CLEAN OUT ALL THE TUB AND START FRESH----penn state has not done that yet---adding clean water to dirty only mucks it up
yes but you take the baby out first (I would hope)
Put another way:
Some people don't just want to close the barn door after the cow is out, but they want to burn down the whole flippin' farm.
What good would that do?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post

Most of the people in that tub aren't dirty and did nothing to deserve the ramifications of the punishments some of you wish to mete out.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM

78,396 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:

Go away.
Your mental fart occurs where you mention "sandusky" and then wave your hands.

If this were JUST Sandusky, then I wouldn't even be calling for some of the penalties you are calling for.

This is the entire athletic leadership of the university engaging in over a decade of child-rape cover-ups AND MORE.

Aw....but by all means keep waving your sick sick hands because you wannna watch ur fooooooootballllll yeaaaaaah.....that this is JUST about Sandusky.

Honestly, I want to throw up after reading your post. What stage of mourning are you in for your god? Denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania