U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-28-2012, 06:18 AM

7,940 posts, read 8,685,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Whatever their reason, it was the individuals who did it, NOT the university.
When people right on up to the president of the university were involved in the coverup, it absolutely was the university. That doesn't mean that the students are at fault, just like when the Catholic church covers for pedophile priests, we don't blame the parishioners....but that doesn't mean the Church still isn't at fault and shouldn't pay the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-02-2012, 08:50 AM

Gee, big shocker, St. Joe Paterno had a bigger role in the coverup than the Kool Aid drinkers want to believe:

Joe Paterno influenced Penn State officials to keep quiet about Jerry Sandusky, emails reveal - NY Daily News

Doesn't surprise me, its always been obvious that Paterno was running the show at State Penn, and that the buck stopped with him. Anyone who thinks he was just the naive old innocent grandfather are just deluding themselves in the name of their football religion.

Unread 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM

3,525 posts, read 4,875,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Gee, big shocker, St. Joe Paterno had a bigger role in the coverup than the Kool Aid drinkers want to believe:

Joe Paterno influenced Penn State officials to keep quiet about Jerry Sandusky, emails reveal - NY Daily News

Doesn't surprise me, its always been obvious that Paterno was running the show at State Penn, and that the buck stopped with him. Anyone who thinks he was just the naive old innocent grandfather are just deluding themselves in the name of their football religion.
While there will be some people who will continue to deny Paterno's responsibility and claim that this email doesn't prove anything, for many it will amount to the smoking gun.

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:03 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,219,376 times
I've always figured Joe Paterno had a major role in the decades-long Penn State child rape cover-up. If he was still alive, he'd most likely be charged with perjury, failure to report and child endangerment.

As an alum, I will have no relationship with this university until they melt Paterno's statue, strip Paterno's name off the library, fire Spanier (he's still employed as a professor and is on sabbatical with the Dept of Homeland Security), open all records to the sunlight (Freeh investigation helps), admit institutional guilt, emphasize academics over football, and clearly outline procedures to prevent such a conspiracy from ever happening again. Never again shall a football coach be deified, endowed with powers beyond the control of the institution.

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:10 AM

435 posts, read 245,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I've always figured Joe Paterno had a major role in the decades-long Penn State child rape cover-up. If he was still alive, he'd most likely be charged with perjury, failure to report and child endangerment.

As an alum, I will have no relationship with this university until they melt Paterno's statue, strip Paterno's name off the library, fire Spanier (he's still employed as a professor and is on sabbatical with the Dept of Homeland Security), open all records to the sunlight (Freeh investigation helps), admit institutional guilt, emphasize academics over football, and clearly outline procedures to prevent such a conspiracy from ever happening again. Never again shall a football coach be deified, endowed with powers beyond the control of the institution.
Luckily for you, you have Pitt to fall back on. I have Kiski Area HS

I agree with everything you said. I never gave two craps about PSU football up there.

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,219,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Luckily for you, you have Pitt to fall back on.
I've consoled myself with this many times.

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

I agree with this 100000%. And I am a PSU alum as well.

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,271,651 times
Here in the Lehigh Valley in Eastern PA it seems every store from Macy's to Marshalls to sporting goods stores have their PSU logo wear in the deep discount area.

A few days ago at Macy's they had PSU t-shirts ans sweatshirts at 80 percent off and it's looking like their just collecting dust.

Who want's to be affiliated with a "brand" that is now so tarnished that it will take decades to recover?

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,271,651 times
I fully agree.

Quote:

Unread 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM

13,935 posts, read 24,329,745 times
The comment that Paterno's family made about how shocked and upset they are that the emails were leaked is just alittle too self serving...they need to keep their mouths shut and their comments to themselves...
ANYONE who has someone come to them with a story that is halfway as inflamatory as what McQueary told Paterno about a young boy that MIGHT have been sodomized by someone who has regular access to similar children and did NOTHING has a can tied to his/her tail...
they can say that Paterno did what he was supposed to do legally but morally they know he failed to live up to his image/reputation as a molder of men...
he wanted to keep Sandusky's crimes in the shadows and as long as he used other places to assault his prey Paterno and everyone else who knew could live with that -- the idea that Sandusky was preying on young boys who had basically no other recourse was find with them...
that is a sucky attitude--and the guilt of the admin staff in the coverup is going to mean PSU will pay a HUGE damage suit to every one of those boys who testified...
AND those guys wll see jail time I bet--even Spanier with his holier than thou attitude

and doesn't it make anyone wonder why the boy in McQueary's story has not come forward???
IF he is alive he has to know this story has been out in the open for 6 mos---but no one has claimed to be that boy...
makes me wonder if Sandusky did not get rid of him--sell him into sex slavery because I bet he knows how to do that with his history...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania