Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
By the time you hit South Jersey, you’re well into the Atlantic Coastal Plain, which is very flat. Because so much more of South Jersey was farmland going into the postwar era, you also see conspicuously autocentric infrastructure much closer to the city. I really like Collingswood and the Haddons, though. Cooper River Lake is a great running trail, too.

I do see what you mean, however. While I’ll certainly have a lot more in common with someone from Cherry Hill than Coraopolis, there are a lot of shared experiences we have, as Pennsylvanians, that don’t cross state lines even within the same metropolitan area.
Western Monmouth County with its hills and farms reminds me of PA. Lambertville and New Hope are similar in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:31 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agreed! I grew up about 10 miles from Ohio, and I consider myself a Pennsylvania native. Ohio has no place in my psyche (not to diss Ohio).
Pittsburgh native and resident and Ohio and WV are never in my thought process. I would imagine though a lot more people in Ohio and WV have Pennsylvania in their though process just because of how rural the areas near this state are, so you will see a lot of plates from those two states at the malls and sporting events.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Western Monmouth County with its hills and farms reminds me of PA. Lambertville and New Hope are similar in many ways.
The fall line more or less follows Route 1, which is why North Jersey is much hillier than South.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:03 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The fall line more or less follows Route 1, which is why North Jersey is much hillier than South.
Interesting. I've never considered Route 1. The terrain does change south of that old road.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:17 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
More like neither of those places, at least from where I'm originally from Central PA on the Eastern edge.

If you live closer to the border, I'm sure you can feel more like it spreads over.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, if I had to pick a state that Pennsylvania "resembles," I'd pick Maryland over any of the other states that border it, though I think the poster in the original discussion who put New York State at the top has a very good point.
Yes, the historical aspects (ubiquitous colonial-era or early nineteenth century aura and being part of the "Original 13"), topography (99% of the state is either rolling hills or mountains), and built environment (generally very dense cities/urban cores that are very often rowhome-based and where stone and brick dominate), and dense foliage with small plot, generations-old farmland interspersed, makes Pennsylvania aesthetically unequivocally East Coast/Mid-Atlantic, with Maryland or New Jersey serving as the closest analogues.

The conversation as to which state Pennsylvania most closely resembles in modern cultural terms is where this gets much more debatable. This has been debated over many threads, but I think the general consensus is that the highly urbanized Southeastern quadrant of the state (everything east and south of the Allegheny and Pocono ridges) is very firmly aligned with the East Coast/Northeast Corridor, with the rest of the state serving as Interior Northeast/"Rust Belt"/Northern Appalachia.

There's certainly strong arguments that Interior Northeast has some economic commonalities with the Midwest (in particular, the Great Lakes Midwest), but there are still some nuances that would make a typical rural town in Pennsylvania at least a little different than a typical rural town in Ohio.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-27-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania