Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Why do you always try to start an argument? I did not state it was on this forum, but on FB on the PSU page, and local news pages. I am stating where people say that PSU degrees are worthless now, and this has been posted many upon many times.

You are good at riling people up and starting arguments without breaking the TOS.

Thank you.

Block

Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I do disagree with you, as the NCAA says, very clearly in the consent decree, that the football culture is the problem and is why the sanction have been put in place to bring it down to a sane level and the "avoiding the consequence of bad publicity was the most significant cause for the University's failure to protect child victims". There was nothing stated about profit or income.

Now there is the bad publicity and that damage is happening as you have said. Yet the criminality was extremely bad and of course there will be consequences and penalties. Some people will suffer that had nothing to do with with the wrong but a cultural wrong and and a way to a cultural correction does not always see individuals. I do agree that is wrong to dishonor the degrees of the University and more so the difficult Science and Engineering Degrees. I think that many people view some degrees that have been taken by football players as being invalid but that has always been the assessment of people who know that some football players, not all, are given a pass on requirements at many Universities with fanatical football programs, not only yours. It is wrong to look at the Professors and Research as less than the best.

You must know as being an achieving student that Administrators, faculty, professors and students have spoken out against this fanaticism, for decades, because they do not see it is morally right to pad athletes grades, to forgive them for bad behavior and to allow admittance to a University, which they value, to those who do not have the intellectual capabilities to be in college but only can play a game. So, as to add more insult, let them be there for free. Those who receive dishonest degrees diminish those who receive honest degrees.

It is the mass of fanaticism, from the media, some of the community and some students, that enables the coach and the football program to think of themselves as more than just a coach and just a game. This coach receives this adoration and took the power to the extreme and believed he was above the law. However, that is not only your university, it is all that have this fanaticism; it is all the cities and towns where football is an extreme obsession. What will be hurt is some of the football fans and students who just enjoy and game and know that where it fits in the overall culture and not the only culture of life.

That is why I dislike the football culture because it robs those who have earned and worked honestly for their degrees. It robs the real heroes of the University, the professors, the staff and the outstanding researcher and students. It gives degrees to some, not all football players, that do not deserve it. It gives too much recognition to the coaches of just a game. It does this to provide entertainment for money and that is not the purpose of a University which is education. In addition, it is not the purpose of a University to fulfill the atavistic primitive pleasure of some in the surrounding community.

Livecontent
I'd LOVE proof that PSU players did not earn their degrees. Absolutely love it.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Why do you always try to start an argument? I did not state it was on this forum, but on FB on the PSU page, and local news pages. I am stating where people say that PSU degrees are worthless now, and this has been posted many upon many times.

You are good at riling people up and starting arguments without breaking the TOS.

Thank you.

Block
Start an argument? I ask you to verify something and you call that starting an argument? I've never seen anything like that, nor have I heard that from my brother, who is a PSU grad living in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania