U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 PM

118 posts, read 138,160 times

Advertisements

This subject is getting up there with politics and religion. We had an implementer in for a large software system we just purchased. This is an IT person. Her job depends on being able to think logically.

We were chatting over lunch and she commented that she feels sorry for Sue Paterno. I agreed and said I could not begin to imagine how it must feel to find out your husband had essentially enabled a child rapist for years. Hard to even wrap your head around that. Then, to my shock she says that she is a huge Paterno fan and he would never have done such a thing.

Had to change the subject quickly....I didn't even know how to respond.

Like politics, I guess. 10% fringe element still insists on canonizing Paterno. 10% on the other side saying they always knew he was a schm*ck and have been proven right. And the remaining 80% of us somewhere in the middle....sad and disgusted...and wondering why the folks in power cared so much about personal glory and reputation....and so little about innocent children.

Last edited by KatWag; 07-18-2012 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 PM

33,756 posts, read 19,816,322 times
I think they should but a child statue next to it that says,"Thanks for nothing"

Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,408,912 times
Catholics still have pictures of the Pope and he's protected hundreds of pedos as Paterno, can't count on people to be decent human beings

Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM

5,009 posts, read 3,331,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Catholics still have pictures of the Pope and he's protected hundreds of pedos as Paterno, can't count on people to be decent human beings
There's no evidence the Pope protected any pedophile or covered anything up.

However, several bishops & monsignors are guilty as all of the PSU conspirators and richly deserve to get Sanduskied in prison themselves. I don't see any Catholic layperson defending the guilty ones.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM

9,678 posts, read 8,573,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWag View Post
Like politics, I guess. 10% fringe element still insists on canonizing Paterno. 10% on the other side saying they always knew he was a schm*ck and have been proven right. And the remaining 80% of us somewhere in the middle....sad and disgusted...and wondering why the folks in power cared so much about personal glory and reputation....and so little about innocent children.
And each fringe wondering why more people don't support their views.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 838,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
This whole opinion piece is garbage. He is correct, he never did have actual statements from Paterno, nor other evidence.

I love how you call an article that doesn't jump to the conclusions you agree with "garbage". Tells me all I need to know about your objectivity on the matter.

The bold part of your statement is all that matters, without damning evidence you can't just slap someone with a crime. I don't care how heinous the crime is or how many people think he was culpable, this is still America. If you want to throw people under the bus with assumptions and a couple of general emails then China would probably be a better fit for you.

Just look at how many people are being freed from death row each year due to recent DNA evidence exonerating them. The justice system has proven time and again that jumping to conclusions without hard evidence can ruin innocent people's lives.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:58 PM

434 posts, read 302,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I love how you call an article that doesn't jump to the conclusions you agree with "garbage". Tells me all I need to know about your objectivity on the matter.

The bold part of your statement is all that matters, without damning evidence you can't just slap someone with a crime. I don't care how heinous the crime is or how many people think he was culpable, this is still America. If you want to throw people under the bus with assumptions and a couple of general emails then China would probably be a better fit for you.

Just look at how many people are being freed from death row each year due to recent DNA evidence exonerating them. The justice system has proven time and again that jumping to conclusions without hard evidence can ruin innocent people's lives.
He has evidence that they knew of the crimes. Period. That is enough for me to know that they knew of the crimes from their emails. I am not questioning why they didn't report it, such as if there was a higher authority not allowing it. I am judging them on IF they knew it was going on, and I can conclude that they DID know from those emails recovered.

But I am a mental midget.

There could be more to the story. But the simple fact that they knew of the crimes is there in black and white. So go back to worshiping your pedophile enabling hero genius.

I am not arguing on what else isn't stated. Hell, I think it has to do with our governor. But I can't jump to those conclusions as they aren't in the report. However, I can conclude that those four men knew of the crimes being taken place, and had 100% power to stop it. Then you have the audacity to throw in some stupid comparison with DNA evidence and some stupid China reference to try to deny the fact that there are emails in black and white where these men clearly indicate they knew what was happening on their campus.

btw, I am not on a Jury listening to attorneys argue their case and decide on the fate of a man. I am a person who is trying to use my own reason and intuition on if I felt Joe Paterno really was a pedophile enabling person who deserves to have his statue taken down from the school I paid a lot of money too. From the evidence I have seen, I say take that statue down.

Last edited by SPSGuy; 07-19-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 03:16 PM

125 posts, read 120,512 times
This actually is a simple matter re: the statue. The relevant question is whether Paterno knew of the 1998 incident and criminal investigation at the time of the 2001 rape. If he had, then he would have understood the import of what McQueary saw and there would be no excuse for his turning a blind eye to Sandusky's ongoing presence after reporting the 2001 assault to Shultz. Paterno testified before the grand jury that he did not know of the 1998 assault. The report and evidence that since has been revealed is quite damning in that he did know of it. So he placed children in danger from 2001 onward, which led to additional rapes. Not to mention he perjured himself. That one issue (knowledge about the 1998 incident) is enough for me to say take the statue down.

Now, there are other findings in the Freeh report, which I have read. i.e. that Paterno was the one who convinced Shultz, Curley and Spanier not to turn in Sandusky. The evidence supporting these other findings, while circumstantial, is also quite damning, and reveals Paterno to be even more of a scumbag. HOWEVER, put the other findings aside. Paterno's knowledge in 2001 of the 1998 incident alone, and his subsequent false testimony about it, is enough for me to say the statue should be gone.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:41 PM

118 posts, read 138,160 times
Heard an interesting take on WIP sports radio today. Stan Hochman, a very well known former columnist from the Philadelphia Daily News. He was asked if he thought the statue should come down.

His suggestion? Leave the statue. Erect a statue fifteen feet away with a young child reaching out for help. Then spin the Paterno statue so his back is to the child.

Might be the most fitting suggestion yet.....

Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 PM

584 posts, read 408,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWag View Post
Heard an interesting take on WIP sports radio today. Stan Hochman, a very well known former columnist from the Philadelphia Daily News. He was asked if he thought the statue should come down.

His suggestion? Leave the statue. Erect a statue fifteen feet away with a young child reaching out for help. Then spin the Paterno statue so his back is to the child.

Might be the most fitting suggestion yet.....
i don't think you understand the culture there. they would be more likely to have the joke-pa statue slaying a dragon to save the child. rewrite the history 99.9% of the population know, and keep the cult believing.

they already put the blue ribbon on his mural.. he was about the furthest thing this side of sandusky himself from being a friend to the sexually abused children, but hey..the mural has him with the ribbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania