U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,002,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
As much as the current news is dominating all aspects of things in SC, I seriously doubt it will kill the university, the largest in the state. Yes IF enrollment drops (considering the waiting list, I can't imagine it will... is there evidence of this?) yes there will be layoffs.
Considering that many (most?) incoming freshmen who apply to PSU main campus are sent to branch campuses instead, it would seem to me that any student who decides they don't want to go to Penn State would simply be replaced by someone who would have gone to a branch campus. Enrollment drops at Penn State would not affect main campus at all; they would affect the branch campuses.

I haven't seen any news about drops in applications, so I kind of doubt this will happen anyway. I just wanted to chime in on what would hypothetically happen if application numbers dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I don't think enrollment will drop at PSU, but it may affect the types of students that attend PSU....the more intelligent, studious, and academically-inclined may choose to go elsewhere, and more marginal students who are more interested in the Animal House kind of college experience, rather than their GPA, may end up there. And well know PSU has enough of those types now.
I could see the opposite happening, actually. Those looking for a fun football school could shy away from PSU based on what has happened recently, while students who are serious about a major in which Penn State ranks highly would not be willing to settle for a lower ranked school just because of this scandal.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM

434 posts, read 302,036 times
Again, smart kids look for a "fun" school as well as academics. Have you people ever gone to a big 10 school before?

It isn't as simple as A) Party kid, bad GPA, doesn't study B) Smart Kid, Good GPA, studies all the time, doesn't party.

Life and people arn't that black and white.

Lets get this thread back to answering the OP anyways about State College.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Again, smart kids look for a "fun" school as well as academics. Have you people ever gone to a big 10 school before?
Graduated from the one we're discussing.

Quote:
It isn't as simple as A) Party kid, bad GPA, doesn't study B) Smart Kid, Good GPA, studies all the time, doesn't party.
No, of course it isn't that simple, but it is safe to say that some kids are attracted to PSU more for the atmosphere and some kids are attracted to PSU more for the academics. We're not talking about what happens after the kids go to PSU (trust me, I know the smart kids all learn how to party); we're talking more about what makes a kid apply to the school.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 PM

130 posts, read 119,066 times
Why would one monster cause students to not attend psu? You saying that about Virginia tech where they have had at least 2 shooting incidents where students were shot.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM

2,153 posts, read 1,610,103 times
Quote:
crime base is very low.
Of course, we now know that much of the most serious crime has been covered up by the university in the past.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 PM

584 posts, read 407,577 times
totally ignoring the whole 'worst scandal in the history of college sports' thing, state college is a terribly boring, pointless place to live unless you work or attend ped state, or really really like cows.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,576,496 times
Quote:

Life and people arn't that black and white.

Lets get this thread back to answering the OP anyways about State College.
If you're going to go to a "fun" school, better off to look at Miami, USC, UCLA, place near a beach, or maybe New York City, Philadelphia, etc. I don't know how basically a town in the middle of nothing in the middle of PA qualifies as fun....its probably why there's so much of an alcohol problem, and why booze-fueled riots are a regular occurrence in Happy Valley....there's not much else to do there but get drunk.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,739,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
totally ignoring the whole 'worst scandal in the history of college sports' thing, state college is a terribly boring, pointless place to live unless you work or attend ped state, or really really like cows.
OP, please don't listen to ppl like this. Its not boring. Its a great place to raise a family and there are a lot of things to do. If you want NYC or even Philly style excitement and night time entertainment , then SC probably isn't for you. But if you want a safe, vibrant place to raise your family, then go for it.

And I disagree with the earlier poster's comments about bad food. State College has its share of franchises that most cities have plus their share of mom/pop places that are just great.

I contend if you visited State College, you would see how great it is.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM

9,674 posts, read 8,559,568 times
Quote:
I don't know how basically a town in the middle of nothing in the middle of PA qualifies as fun....
Being in the middle of nowhere doesn't seem to bother the Universities of Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa or Missouri. Penn State is no more distant from the nearest major city (Pittsburgh) than any of those others.

Quote:
...its probably why there's so much of an alcohol problem, and why booze-fueled riots are a regular occurrence in Happy Valley....
Embellish much?

There's an alcohol problem in State College because it's a college town, and college students tend to be irresponsible with alcohol. I live in a college town exactly 561.3 miles away from State College (from city hall to city hall), and many of the students here boast about their alcohol problems. The cops do great business on football weekends in particular.

Furthermore, I've only ever heard of one riot in State College, and by a small fraction of the student body at Penn State to boot. If one occurrence suddenly qualifies as "a regular occurrence," then Jesus Christ regularly rises from the dead; Mount St. Helens regularly blows its top off, and you regularly have something intelligent and worthwhile to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania