Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,082,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We live in the Valley (Wilkes-Barre) so our power rarely goes out during even the most torrential storms. I admit we are spoiled in regards to that. The power flickered last night for probably a second and I started getting nervous. I hate being without power and I'm not very good at "roughing it" at home.
I hear ya and can sympathize, nothing scares me more then loosing power during extreme heat or cold...glad you faired well...some have not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,974,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
many years ago, I lived in Kunkletown, nice area, hope you are happy there in Swiftwater...have not returned since I moved away about 16 or 17 years ago. Loved it up there...
Be well
Creme
Me and my wife have lived in Monroe County for 65 years. 35 years in Swiftwater. Kunkletown was just a farming community when we were kids growing up. It has changed considerably – but it is still a very picturesque area to live.

We have always had problems with storms missing us where we live. I think that it is just the way the prevailing winds hit the mountains. It is great to be missed by sheer winds and torrential rains. For the winter; the game changes and we get just as much precipitation.

There is one little pond close to my house that was about five feet deep and it is still dry as of this morning. Last year it had a few feet of water all year round.

Take care!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Me and my wife have lived in Monroe County for 65 years. 35 years in Swiftwater. Kunkletown was just a farming community when we were kids growing up. It has changed considerably – but it is still a very picturesque area to live.

We have always had problems with storms missing us where we live. I think that it is just the way the prevailing winds hit the mountains. It is great to be missed by sheer winds and torrential rains. For the winter; the game changes and we get just as much precipitation.

There is one little pond close to my house that was about five feet deep and it is still dry as of this morning. Last year it had a few feet of water all year round.

Take care!
Yes, it was then a great community and extremely picturesque, I used to fish in Shawnee area...and also in Luzerne County....camped World's End...Swiftwater must have changed extremely with the Lodge there?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 AM

24,342 posts, read 22,897,800 times
We avoided the "unusually dry" status here in SE Pa accoring to US drought monitor website. We're in a circle surrounded by drought conditions, though. Hopefully we get some more rain today and tonite. Maybe I'll have to start cutting the grass again then.
Here's what I almost did yesterday. It was about 98 degrees and I debated going out to rake leaves. Our neighbor has a poplar tree that is shedding leaves like crazy and they're all brown and shrivelled. I thought it might be fun to say I raked leaves in July in 98 degree heat. But then I thought, ehhhh go sit in the air conditioning.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,067,933 times
It's been fairly normal here in my part of Franklin county

Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,361,778 times
Thank you,

We received over an inch of rain yesterday.
Earlier yesterday it was extremely hot and beyond our normal humidity and dew point levels that we normally see.

It was still mostly sunny when our dew points reached into the mid seventies.
It was like being in New Orleans or southern Florida.

I reside in South Allentown on South Mountain that borders I-78 so I'm pretty far south in the city.
The borough of Emmaus is close to us.

I eat at the Coopersburg Diner quite a bit and the drive down 309 to get there is for the most part very lush and green as it should be this time of year.

SE PA has been very very lucky in avoiding most of this dry situation.

I hope you received some rain as well.

Quote:
I live a few miles south of you...it seems always, the rain effects so many communities around us, but we never usually receive the weather other communities around us get.
Cousin lives in Coopersburg and they are surely getting a lot of rain...Hope you faired well yesterday Julian...heard you guys got a lot of rain again.

Take care

Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,682,223 times
We have been getting rain on and off.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
Quote:
My car registered 102 yesterday on the way home?
Hope your having a good day.
Official high temperatures across Pennsylvania (July 18)

100° - Philadelphia
100° - Reading
98° - Allentown
97° - Lancaster
97° - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
96° - Harrisburg
96° - Williamsport
96° - York
91° - Altoona
91° - Pittsburgh
89° - State College
84° - Erie
84° - Johnstown

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,586,000 times
We have been getting a nice steady rain for the past 6 hours with up to 2 inches predicted, so that is going to help out some.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Where I am situated, we didn't get much, but anything is better then nothing...
Heard Jim Cantori say last evening that you guys were getting hit pretty badly...hope you retained your electric. Be well
Creme
Thanks so much, oh, and by the way, I love, love, love Jim Cantori...
Anyway, I woke up and it was pouring...and we're supposed to recieve rain a good part of the day and tonight, but I wish others who are much worse off then us, would be getting this to...
thanks for the well wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania