U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM

13,529 posts, read 12,124,691 times

Advertisements

I don't get what is going on...and please someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

We are in a drought, 26 - 28 states have been declaired an emergency right?

Yet I'm hearing, nothing, NOTHING about conserving water, no reports on the local news about there is a ban on watering, filling swimming pools, etc??????? Years ago, when we were in a drought, people got fined for watering, and car washes had to use recycled water over and over again, even the hand held car washes???? What is going on with this generation? I mean, we're in a droubt, the president has declaired a national emergency within 26 or 28 states, and yet, no one is talking about water conservation? Our local news isn't even telling us how many inches we are low?

And is anyone getting sick? So so many people in our area are complaining of dizzyness, sick to the stomach, chills, etc, and we feel it's from the heat? Anyone else feeling this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM

9,714 posts, read 12,345,017 times
Everything is all fine here. It's a little bit dry, but our well is doing good and we've got up to an inch of rain forecast tonight.

A bit hot and humid today but PA is nothing like what I experienced living down south most of my youth, where you would live in air conditioning for 5-6 months of the year. Before you know it in mid August it will start getting cooler and summer will start to end by Labor Day.

If people are getting dizzy, sick to the stomach, sounds like they have other problems or they need to get a window AC or drink some electrolytes and plenty of water.

Me conserving water here doesn't do anything for Colorado or Texas, so I could care less as my actions do not impact them.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,616,716 times
All I know is that my grass is burning up, and I say keep it coming. The less of my summer I have to spend cutting grass, the better.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM

9,698 posts, read 8,629,832 times
Right now, it gets drier from east to west in Pennsylvania. The Pittsburgh area is in a moderate drought right now, but there are some thunderstorms rolling through today. The only reason eastern Pennsylvania is not in a drought is because May was abnormally wet. Otherwise, April, June and July have been pretty dry.

Philadelphia officially notched its second 100 day of the summer today. It's still too early in the day to tell what the official high temperature will be, but it will be at least 100.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM

4,660 posts, read 3,401,098 times
Because the rain that we are getting is spotty; some of us should be declared drought area and some of us should not.

Where I sit in Swiftwater; we usually miss the rainfall. It splits and goes north and east or it goes south and east of us. Right now the Tobyhanna and Mount Pocono areas have been hit with thunderstorms for the last hour or so and we have not seen one drop. We are hoping that we get some of the rainfall – it looks like we might get some around four or five today.

I have a small pond that has been dry for the last two weeks. Last year it did not go dry. A next door neighbor's pond has been dry for the last week. Several days ago we did get two inches – but the ground is dry if you just dig down one inch. The rain just ran off. We need a good day or more of soaking rain to replenish our water.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 PM

16,781 posts, read 16,365,014 times
Drought Covers One-Third Of U.S. Counties, The Largest Agricultural Disaster Area Ever Declared | ThinkProgress

PA may not be far behind a drought declaration. DE already is and MD is 8+ inches behind for rainfall/snow for the year.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 PM

9,698 posts, read 8,629,832 times
Here's a map illustrating the percent of normal rainfall across the continental United States in the last 90 days:

Pay close attention to the key. Light yellow means 90% to 100% of normal rainfall, and gray means 100% to 110% of normal. Those two colors indicate "near normal" precipitation, hence no drought in those areas. The slightly darker yellow means 75% to 90% of normal rainfall. That's considered "abnormally dry," but a simple cluster of thunderstorms is still capable of wiping out the rainfall deficit. Orange, red, brown, and all shades in between are the colors of drought, and as you can see, none of those colors appear outside of western Pennsylvania. Furthermore, the drought gets markedly worse west of there. This illustrates why much of Pennsylvania is not in a drought at the moment: for much of the state, 90-day precipitation totals have been near normal. And there is no chance of a long-term drought for at least another year because 2009, 2010 and 2011 were all abnormally wet for Pennsylvania.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:42 PM

4,660 posts, read 3,401,098 times
While everybody else got torrential rain today; it is still dry under my trees. It is also supposed to stop in just about half an hour. It missed us again. However; there are areas of my county that have had flash flood warnings. I'm afraid that we will have to wait for a hurricane to lift our drought.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM

11,198 posts, read 8,120,064 times
I know in my county some municipalities have put in water use restrictions. We'll find out tomorrow if we've been added to the " Unusually dry" status of the US drought monitor list. We've had about an inch of rain in the last ten days or two weeks, which is keeping the crops going but they are dry. But to date we're only about 4 inches down for the year thanks to some heavy rains back in the late spring. This is in SE Pa. Its been very hot and dry from mid June to mid July, though.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,737,240 times
It's been dry here in the Lehigh Valley of eastern PA.
With that being said we also received a very large amount of rain in early through mid June.
We have been living on that reserve here for quite awhile however we did receive over an inch last week and over an inch today.

The most drought stricken areas of the country have been with little rain for months.
Crops in this area like corn remain very viable , green and tall.
It's my assessment that this part of southeastern PA is not in a drought at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania