U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 PM

222 posts, read 197,223 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about Pennsylvania, the demographic, jobs, ect ect.
I just read that Pennsylvania has a slight European feel to it--and i goggled a few images and liked the forest/mystic feel of it. And seeing as how I will probly never venture out of the US this doesn't seem like a bad idea. I am just unclear if this is even worth the thought.

About me. I guess you can say im a late starter in life.
I plan to to graduate college soon--I will be 26 in August.
Currently I live in California. And I am single. In other words I am broke and if you can imagine life in California is not an easy thing to make happen when you are working part time and trying to make school happen at the same time. Even if I had two part-time jobs I probably would not be "happening".
I just now consider moving out of state just to see if the "grass is greener".

So where in Pennsylvania could you see working out for me ?
(Things I think you may want to know about me so we can narrow things down for me).
I am an odd person--I guess.
I am a bi-sexual. Black Male.
I guess I am some what hippie/skater. I have a few tattoos that I consider to be a tribute to sailors/Salty Dogs and a few Pin-up girls inked on me. I love everyone of them and they are all in places that cannot be seen unless i wear a tank top and shorts...I will not lie I enjoy living near a beach hence my tank top/shorts. And if im not wearing that im usually dressed in all black generally. I love being around people, very social. Are the people friendly ?
What are the laws on Marijuana in Pennsylvania ? I ask because I am in huge support of its consumption. So this is very important to me. Not really looking for it to go back in the alleys.
I am sure im missing a few things but thats all that comes to mind currently.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When are you moving? Unsure, maybe when I am done with school next year sometime.
Where are you coming from? California
Why are you moving? Change in life, scenery. Cannot really afford it.
Where will you be working? Unsure, head shops currently. More than likely something in PR.
Have you been here yet? No. Never.

Will you buy or rent? I will pay off my car beginning of next year.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Far from even thinking of owning a home.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Loft perfered. But I honestly do not care.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? not sure of what this is but Hi-Rise just because it sounds more lofty.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids.

Do you have pets? No but will probly get a dog if I can afford one.
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity.

What do you want to be closest to? Nightlife/Shopping.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Similar age is necessary and of course sexual preference. I do not care about race as long as the people are not crazy/nasty.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? Don't care about sports.

Last edited by RumNCoke; 07-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Just saw the sticky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM

8,857 posts, read 7,635,475 times
I'd stick to one of the big cities, philly or pittsburgh, probably philly. marijuana is illegal so you'll have to buy it illegally (not necessarily back alleys of course). in philly I believe it's a flat $250 fine but on payday the scent of marijuana is usually common.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM

3,933 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Do you want a big city or smaller city? Pennsylvania is blessed to have cities of all sizes. Erie has a beautiful beach. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the big cities, and what cities they are! Smaller cities like Harrisburg, Lancaster still have a cosmopolitan vibe and big city amenities. People are friendly in PA, housing is cheap if you're not in one of the big cities, and there are plenty of gay and bi people.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM

222 posts, read 197,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Do you want a big city or smaller city? Pennsylvania is blessed to have cities of all sizes. Erie has a beautiful beach. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the big cities, and what cities they are! Smaller cities like Harrisburg, Lancaster still have a cosmopolitan vibe and big city amenities. People are friendly in PA, housing is cheap if you're not in one of the big cities, and there are plenty of gay and bi people.
Theirs a brighter out look. How conservative would you say these places are ? Im sorry but when I think conservative I can only think of hate and oppression (sorry if offends). But never the less it sounds cool. I really should find some way to visit one of these days just still unsure of where.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:01 AM

584 posts, read 407,577 times
PA does not seem like a very good fit.
you love living near a beach. unless you can adapt to that being the great lakes, there are better places. bring your snow shovel.
marijuana laws, not great in PA...you have to find a good 'dealer', and 100% hide it from all but your closest friends. you can't sit on your porch and smoke it unless you live in a very sketchy neighborhood or out in the woods.

don't get me wrong. you could find a place you like. I'm not familiar with Philly but Pittsburgh has some neighborhoods that you could find plenty of people living similar lifestyle.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM

8,857 posts, read 7,635,475 times
fwiw, philly is about a 60-70 minute drive from the beach

Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,610,103 times
Erie is on a beach.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM

584 posts, read 407,577 times
Thats true, Americas 3rd coast.

but really as much as I love parts of PA, im not going to tell a young progressive hippie pot smoking beach loving guy from CAli, who hates sports and has never stepped foot in the state of PA that this is his eden. Because it isnt. There are a lot better options to 'move blind' to in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM

61 posts, read 53,913 times
I'd have to say that I don't think Pennsylvania would be a very good fit for you, and I'll list some reasons why:

1. You're coming from a beach area and mentioned that you enjoy the beach - you won't be near a beach unless you live in Philly. Even then, Philly is a bit of a hike from the beach (I guess it's all relative, but be ready for 1-1.5 hour drives if you want to be at the beach)

2. People in Philly are diverse, yes, but generally less friendly than what you're probably used to. I don't like to stereotype too often, but I find it to be true that people in Philly generally have a bit more of a chip on their shoulder and aren't afraid to tell it like it is. Some people like this, but some people find it very rude and off-putting. Pittsburgh is very different - much more friendly people (especially driving wise) here.

3. Not caring about sports. I don't care about sports either, which in both big cities in Pennsylvania might limit your friend circle a bit. Most people have at least a passive interest in sports, and there are a lot of huge Penguins/Flyers, Steelers/Eagles, Sixers and Phillies/Pirates (okay...maybe there aren't TOO many Pirates fans ) in the two cities. It might sound crazy, but I've gotten weird looks and/or rude comments for saying I don't follow sports from people in both Philly and Pittsburgh. It gives you a lot less to talk about.

4. I don't know about a European feel to the area. There are a lot of woodsy areas that look romantic along the Appalachian areas, and yes there are lots of woodsy areas not far from...well, basically ANYWHERE in Pennsylvania (sylvan gives that away), but outside of the big cities you will find a very conservative and sometimes xenophobic mentality. Again, this isn't the RULE, but that has been my observation.

If you're hippie/skater, stick to the big city areas. Marijuana is illegal and cops crack down in smaller towns, not so much in college areas from what I see, but it is still illegal everywhere and will be a risk no matter what. It might be worth it to check out Bethlehem as well - it's not necessarily a huge city, but it certainly has some nicer areas from what I understand. Come visit Philly and Pittsburgh of course, but these are my opinions. You will find Pittsburgh and Philly to be a bit cheaper than what you're used to I'm sure, and you might enjoy a change of scenery (wouldn't we all), but I'm not so sure if you're anticipating everything you'll experience. I would recommend visiting a couple times, once in the winter and once in the summer if possible - winters and summers are fairly similar across the state.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,098 times
Maybe...maybe you'd be happy in Philly if you were able to take frequent trips to the beach. The problem is that only a very small part of Philly proper has mystical forests, so that's a problem if that's what's drawing you to PA in the first place. Unless you set up a tent in Wissahickon parkland, you'll probably be living in a brick/concrete jungle. Are you okay with that? The scenic, forested areas of PA might not take very kindly to a black, bisexual, liberal, potsmoking hippy. Then again, you might be seen as an eccentric and might be accepted, to a certain point. I'm not trying to take shots at the good people of rural PA. I'm just thinking more about comfort level for both you and them.

Last edited by mancat100; 07-24-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania