U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 AM

51 posts, read 109,987 times

Advertisements

My husband may be accepting a job offer in Salem County, NJ. I have looked around the towns in NJ and I am not sure if I want to raise a family in South Jersey. I am looking for a safe area (low crime rate), excellent school systems, friendly community, affordable housing and not a long commute to NJ for my husband. I am also interested in a nice downtown area if possible. The thought of Philli and Camden being close by scares me with all of the crime I hear on the news. Does anyone have any information that would make our decision a little easier?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,687,684 times
I thought of the Aston, PA area. The school districts are great, it's about 30 minutes to Salem, low crime but not a big downtown shopping area. There are plenty of stores along Route 202. Not giving up on PA but you may want to consider Delaware.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 AM

680 posts, read 1,905,129 times
How much are you looking to spend on housing? NJ has lots of nice safe towns. Haddon Heights and Haddonfield have nice downtowns and good schools - easy commute to Salem down 295. Also, even closer to Salem is Mullica Hill and Woolwich Twp. These areas are newer - not sure if they have downtowns but they are nice. Don't let Camden or Philly scare you. The crime does not filter in to the suburbs.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM

3,971 posts, read 8,603,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellys3angels View Post
My husband may be accepting a job offer in Salem County, NJ. I have looked around the towns in NJ and I am not sure if I want to raise a family in South Jersey. I am looking for a safe area (low crime rate), excellent school systems, friendly community, affordable housing and not a long commute to NJ for my husband. I am also interested in a nice downtown area if possible. The thought of Philli and Camden being close by scares me with all of the crime I hear on the news. Does anyone have any information that would make our decision a little easier?
If you want to live in Pa. and are looking for a nice little downtown I would suggest Media 30-45 minutes from salem, or West Chester 45-1 hr. from Salem. Keep in mind that there is a $3 daily bridge toll to get you from PA to NJ. If you don't need a town center then Aston(older) Garnet Valley,Concord Twp, Bethel Twp.(all newer) are closer to Salem.

As Jerzboy mentioned there are some great small towns in south jersey, although salem,Penns grove do not fit that description. Haddonfield,Woodbury Heights,Voorhees, Mount Holly,Mount laurel are very nice but the commute is probably the same if not longer than Media or West Chester.

Good luck

Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM

Thanks for responding so quickly. As I mentioned before, this move is different than any other time we have moved because we now have three children to consider. We just want them to be safe and happy. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone have any information on Media, PA. I went on the website and read about the town. It seems very similar to the area my family and I live in now. I was wondering about the school districts, the crime, the cost of living, and how long of a commute would it be to Salem, NJ (Hancocks Bridge).

Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 AM

266 posts, read 999,217 times
Media is a very nice, affluent small town. Housing is on the more expensive side & there is not much that would be new or "newer" construction. But you would have options of twins, townhomes or apts to consider as well as single houses.
Penncrest is the high school and is a decent, safe high school, recently renovated. Most students are planning on 2-4yr colleges after grad.
RoseTree-Media would be the school district for checking into elementary or middle school. Also there are private schools and Catholic schools nearby that many residents choose for their children
Lots of good options and a very nice, safe community! Don't think you can go wrong.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Thanks for your feedback on the Media area. My family and I are traveling to PA this weekend to check it out.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 PM

3,971 posts, read 8,603,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Media is a very nice, affluent small town. Housing is on the more expensive side & there is not much that would be new or "newer" construction.

I personally wouldn't call Media affuent. The surrounding areas like Upper Providence,Rose Valley,Edgmont could be considered affluent but you can find houses in the town for under $200k.

Nether Providence was ranked the 9th best town in the usa by Money magazine this year. Thats about a mile or 2 to the east of Media, its an older residential area with lots of character, its worth a look.

The school district is one of the better ones in Delaware County. Not much crime to speak of. Cost of living would be tough to measure- depending on where you are coming from. If you are coming from DC,NYC,Bos it will seem low. If you are coming from Reading or Pittsburgh it will seem high. I would put the drive at 45 min- 1 hr but its a fairly easy drive. Once you get over the bridge to Jersey its a straight shot on a highway that has almost no traffic.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks for your input! Are the areas of Upper Providence, Rose Valley, and Edgmont nice places to raise a family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania