Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2006, 10:53 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

I am looking to move and have found potential job options in Oil City and in Juniata County (not sure what specific town in Juniata Co.)

I know Oil City is in the NW part of the state and Juniata County (which looks like it might be a prettier setting) is sort of S. Central Penn.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two places? We have young children so of course crime, gangs, meth, schools are important issues.

Cost of living/housing and housing availability is also a factor.

Anyone familiar with these areas or have any thoughts/tips/advice? I really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 10:03 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,089 times
junietta county is somewhat cheap in taxes etc. i dotn think oil city is in that county

Old 10-03-2006, 10:45 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times
Thanks. No, Oil city is in another county, I had just seen job announcements in my line of work in those two areas. The one in Juniata County is now closed, and the Oil City one may well be too at this point. However, I'm hoping to go more NE in Pennsylvania anyway. Now looking at something outside the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro area, or possibly Wyoming County, but we're not really leaving anyplace out.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can find a library position somehwere in PA!

Old 10-04-2006, 06:35 AM

my personal opinion, is that in most cases any small town is decent.

by all means ym me- so as to be timely. turboredcart on yahoo

Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 18,119 times
I am originally from Oilcity, and was just up over the weekend visiting my parents. It is a beautiful place as far as the settings in the area, but it is a dying city and the drugs are awful. There are always people from detroit being arrested for drugs there. Not sure about the schools, but my niece does go there. Seneca area is right outside of oilcity, which is where I went to school (Cranberry High), and I have family that goes there also. The seneca Cranberry area is really building up.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:40 PM

222 posts, read 1,410,632 times
juniata county is pretty nice. it is really a valley surrounded by mountains. it has a river juniata which bisets it and flows into the susquahanna, which then goes into the chesapeake bay. parallel to the river is rt 322. That is pretty much the only access to and from the county. the towns of cuba mills, mexico, thompsontown, port royal and mifflintown are nice. they are pretty much small towns, where people travel to get to work.

a lot of people from that area are a) farmers b) truck drivers or c) travel to harrisburg, lewistown or state college for work. we have a cable company here in harrisburg (about 40 minutes SW of there) where 3 guys drive to get here 5 days a week. they are really nice guys, but basically one come here because hte pay is good and they dont have many jobs. basically employment options arent that great. they have a lot of used car lots, a mcdonalds, a racetrack, and a few gas stations. there are a few light manufacturing places and home construction companies.

the area is unbelieveable beautiful. you have mountains on either side or in the distance and there a lot of farms around. they have fowlers hollow, colonel denning and little buffalo state parks that are only a few miles away. and the Appalacian National Scenic Trail runs not too far from the area.

that's all the information i know. i have travelled in the wwestern half extensively, honey grove, reeds gap, waterloo, all are small nice villages that would be great to live in if you want to 'escape' and relax and get away from everything.

thanks care, hope i helped ~daniel~ openless@aol.com

Old 12-21-2006, 12:48 PM

Junietta is said to have lower taxes. Tho- teh realitor I talked to, said that is changing.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 AM

222 posts, read 1,410,632 times
i think that's true about the taxes. there is a very large number of people who live ther and commute to state college or harrisburg. you'd think it's funny you hear in los angelese and nyc how bad the traffic and the commute is, but year, tons and TONS of people do it. i work at a gas station, and one guy drive from tower city, which is 35 miles away. 5 days a week. i dont know why. oh well. the taxes are definatly going up in every area. people are leaveing harrisburg and lancaster and carlisle and moving the the mountains and building these huge houses, the counties re-assess themselves at least once every 10 years. east hanover twp i ndauphin county had their taxes almost double in the past 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania