Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,492 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old new RN from NJ. I just took a position at Reading Hospital & Medical Center, and I start in less than a month (Oct. 8) I am looking for a good place to find an apartment somewhere between Reading and West Chester Area.
With the risk of sounding unreasonably picky, this is what I am looking for: (I understand that I might as well be looking for a Unicorn)

1. Within 30 (ish) miles from West Reading (hospital)

2. Not tooooo rural. I am from NJ, very close to NYC, and am used to everyone being in a rush. So maybe a place with a downtown area thats just a little bit busy?

3. Also, I went to school in Storrs, CT and felt totally trapped because if I needed anything besides groceries, I had to drive at least 20 minutes and it seemed like such a big ordeal everytime. I need some access to shopping- being within 10 miles of a target/walmart etc makes me feel like I am not in "the sticks"

4. Basically, I want to live in a place that has the sass of NJ but still the beauty of PA.

Anyone have any sugggestions? I have no idea what I am doing, but am so excited to make this move.
Please help.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
You might try asking in the Lehigh Valley forum. Its not very active but you might find some suggestions there. Reading isn't strictly part of the Lehigh Valley but its close.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM

130 posts, read 310,356 times
I would check out Phoenixville. Actually West Reading has become very trendy these days as well.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM

429 posts, read 719,303 times
The Reading Hospital is "Technically" in Reading, but basically in West Reading - zip code 19611, and a block from Wyomissing, zip 19610. Type in a search for apartments and those zip codes and you'll get places that are near work.

Honestly, I think West Reading would suit you. Lots of shops, a busy area but green. You can hop on the route 422 bypass a few blocks away and get home to New Jersey in a jiffy, but you'll be convenient to work. The Reading Hospital is a wonderful place to work.

I work with someone who live in the Victoria Crossing apartments (19610) and likes her apartment, but that's a bit more suburban, maybe. The Wyomissing Garden apartments Metropolitan Management Group - Apartments in Reading and Berks County
seem nice and are handy to work. Either of the above zip codes would get you a decent place.

Oh, and, I think this IS the correct forum to post this question on. Reading and environs is definitely NOT Lehigh Valley. Good Luck and welcome to the area!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,492 times
Thank you! This was very helpful. I am going to that area tomorrow to check it out and have been doing a lot of online apartment searching in Wyomissing, West Reading, Phoenixville. What is Royerstown like?

I appreciate all the help! Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
If you have to use 422 as your means/mode of travel, be aware that it gets VERY congested during peak hours, and during non-peak times it is still very busy. I know of people being in traffic for an hour for a 15 miles commute, and without taking back roads through farms and developments, they have been up to 2 hours late for work if there is an accident on 422. You might want to also consider south of Reading a little bit, as one person mentioned Wyomissing~it's a quick trip to Lancaster, Hershey and easy access to the PA tpk. to get back to Philadelphia or New Jersey.

That side of 422 and 222 has the Berkshire Mall, lots of restaurants, Best Buy, furniture stores, Home Depot etc. I think you would find it a great location for a "new to PA" position. Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,330 times
For what you're looking for, I'd suggest checking out Penn St in Reading and Penn Ave in West Reading. It's a very walkable area, plenty of cabs. Traffic is congested for this area, but compared to Jersey, it's nothin.

I'm also from Jersey, (dirty south) and I couldn't imagine being in the thick of anything. I live a couple miles outside Reading, and that's about as close as I want to get.

Also, to the person who posted about Lehigh. Reading is SEPA not Lehigh, this should go in the Philly forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs07012 View Post
Thank you! This was very helpful. I am going to that area tomorrow to check it out and have been doing a lot of online apartment searching in Wyomissing, West Reading, Phoenixville. What is Royerstown like?

I appreciate all the help! Thanks again everyone!
Wyomissing is a great suburban shopping area, it reminds me a lot of what Cherry Hill was when I was a kid.

If you mean Royersford, it's a small old town. I always felt very unsettled there. I used to work in one of the shopping centers, and the whole town felt very creepy to me. Maybe it was the proximity to Limerick or the proximity to Pennhurst, but I could just never shake the creepy feelings there. Phoenixville is just a few miles away and is a beautiful town.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 PM

75 posts, read 219,752 times
My first thought was Morgantown or Elverson due to their proximity between Rdg and WC. You might find them too hicky however but definitely check them out. From there you can get to more hip places in 20 mins.

My advice is to stay as far away from Reading as you can. Also, if possible, live in a county other than Berks. The area is dying. Get some experience at RH (good place) and FLY.

(this is coming from a lifetime Berks guy)

Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
My first thought was Morgantown or Elverson due to their proximity between Rdg and WC. You might find them too hicky however but definitely check them out. From there you can get to more hip places in 20 mins.

My advice is to stay as far away from Reading as you can. Also, if possible, live in a county other than Berks. The area is dying. Get some experience at RH (good place) and FLY.

(this is coming from a lifetime Berks guy)
I disagree with your assessments. Well, Morgantown and Elverson are rather backwater, though the convenience to 176 and the turnpike is nice.

Berks is not dying, it's been steadily growing, as is Reading. And I don't know why someone would advise a person looking for a bit of a city feel to avoid Reading but move to Morgantown. I understand if you don't want to live in this area or if it's not right for you, but don't accuse the area of dying just because you're unhappy here.

I love Berks, it's among the fastest growing regions in the state, just a hair behind Lehigh. Reading's about as good a city feel as you're going to get out here, and Morgantown and Elverson are indeed rather backwater.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I'm not sure why you'd want to work in West Reading and then commute a fairly long distance. You have plenty of shopping in Wyomissing/West Reading/ Sinking Spring. A mall, a Target, a Wal Mart, more malls and more malls. Not as much as KOP but still good. You could get a place close by and walk to work. What you'd save in rent and the cost of gas and time, it seems a pretty easy decision. The area has some sprawling suburbs which quickly give way to more rural spaces.
The only thing I hear the area is lacking is the bar and club scene which it is. As for NJ sass, there are lot sof transplants who have left NJ for greener pastures and moved around there. PA is PA and NJ is NJ and I think both have their plusses and minusses. And they should stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania