Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
"America Starts Here" was a slogan in effect during the governorship of Tom Kean. Used to tick me off every time I visited (was living in NY and NJ then) and I'd go across the Delaware River on I-80 and the sign would say "America Starts Here" and I'd think, "Wait, where have I been all this time?" I took it as a direct slap at NJ/NY, though obviously it's because of the Constitutional Convention, etc.
Truth be told, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. It seems like this slogan can have several different meanings, depending on how you'd like to interpret it. I understand that Philadelphia is the birthplace of America. But, in another light, this slogan seems like a slap in the face at New England, New Jersey, and all of the parts of New York State located entirely to the east of Pennsylvania and the Delaware River. Pennsylvania, after all, is the most conservative state in the Census Bureau's definition of the Northeastern United States and it borders both the South and Midwest. Although the parts of the South and Midwest that border Pennsylvania are not overly conservative by any means (or conservative at all, for that sake), it can be concluded that Pennsylvania borders two regions where extreme conservatism is housed: The South and Midwest. Growing up in New England, I always kind of felt as though "General America" began due west and south of Greater Philadelphia. I mean, let's face it, you'd be hard-pressed to find any very conservative areas north and east of Central Pennsylvania. That's just my opinion. I'm the OP, by the way. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Truth be told, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. It seems like this slogan can have several different meanings, depending on how you'd like to interpret it. I understand that Philadelphia is the birthplace of America. But, in another light, this slogan seems like a slap in the face at New England, New Jersey, and all of the parts of New York State located entirely to the east of Pennsylvania and the Delaware River. Pennsylvania, after all, is the most conservative state in the Census Bureau's definition of the Northeastern United States and it borders both the South and Midwest. Although the parts of the South and Midwest that border Pennsylvania are not overly conservative by any means (or conservative at all, for that sake), it can be concluded that Pennsylvania borders two regions where extreme conservatism is housed: The South and Midwest. Growing up in New England, I always kind of felt as though "General America" began due west and south of Greater Philadelphia. I mean, let's face it, you'd be hard-pressed to find any very conservative areas north and east of Central Pennsylvania. That's just my opinion. I'm the OP, by the way. LOL.
I'm confused as to your reference to conservatism as it relates to the founding of America. I don't see why anyone would take offense to the slogan either. So many things that did lead to the founding of America took place here. No one is lying or exaggerating. Why should NY or NJ take umbrage to the facts? Let's look at New England. Yes, the English landed there in the 1600s but they did not start America. One could argue the idea of America, democracy and freedoms of religion were planted by these fine people. But a seed is not a tree. That tree did not grow until the 1700s when the revolution took place.

Finally, this is a marketing slogan obviously aimed at getting tourists into the state. Delaware's is "It's Good Being First" (first state to ratify the constitution). Should we take offense at this? Is DE trying to say they are better than the others who also ratified the constitution? Of course not! It's a slogan meant to convey a certain image or mood to be associated with the state. Massachusetts' hook is "The Spirit of America" obviously referring to their revolutionary history that helped America become what it is today. Again, shall we take offense to such an innocuous piece of marketing? I say no. All of our states had a hand in making America great and instead of crowing about why PA has the "audacity" to proclaim America starts here, maybe we can appreciate each state for what it represents about various pieces of our country's rich history.

Last edited by Magritte25; 10-05-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm confused as to your reference to conservatism as it relates to the founding of America. I don't see why anyone would take offense to the slogan either. So many things that did lead to the founding of America took place here. No one is lying or exaggerating. Why should NY or NJ take umbrage to the facts? Let's look at New England. Yes, the English landed there in the 1600s but they did not start America. One could argue the idea of America, democracy and freedoms of religion were planted by these fine people. But a seed is not a tree. That tree did not grow until the 1700s when the revolution took place.

Finally, this is a marketing slogan obviously aimed at getting tourists into the state. Delaware's is "It's Good Being First" (first state to ratify the constitution). Should we take offense at this? Is DE trying to say they are better than the others who also ratified the constitution? Of course not! It's a slogan meant to convey a certain image or mood to be associated with the state. Massachusetts' hook is "The Spirit of America" obviously referring to their revolutionary history that helped America become what it is today. Again, shall we take offense to such an innocuous piece of marketing? I say no. All of our states had a hand in making America great and instead of crowing about why PA has the "audacity" to proclaim America starts here, maybe we can appreciate each state for what it represents about various pieces of our country's rich history.
I think that we can take pride too far. It is fine to be proud of what we have accomplished. On the other hand; we cannot sit back and rest on our past accomplishments. Even if we were number one in the country; others would want to take our place. We are not number one now in many categories and we should be a little hungry to do better.

I would much rather see us be able to brag that we have the strongest economy and the best schools in the nation, or that we have no drug or crime problems, or that homelessness does not exist in our state and nobody is poor. Until that time I would rather keep the volume of the celebration turned down a little. We should never be so proud that we cannot imitate what another state does better.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Truth be told, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out.
The slogan was put into place by the PA tourist board in February 1989 to replace "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" At the time many people questioned it's accuracy Given that Pennsylvania was the 12th of the original 13 colonies. And the slogan "America Begins in New England" was already being used.

When it comes down to the bottom line, it wasn't really worth fighting about. The increased in historical travel is a rising tide that floats all boats. If you go to Gettysburg, and Philadelphia Hall you are just as likely to also go to Williamsburg or to Faneuil Hall . While the slogan is a little far reaching, it wasn't hurting anybody.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
I'm settling this once and for all!

Quote:
- THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE (present day I-76) was the first limited access, divided highway in the U.S. The 260 km section between Irwin and Carlisle was the first section of freeway opened to the public on Oct. 1, 1940. The Turnpike's design was used as a model for the construction of much of the Interstate system.

https://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~aaron...nterstate.html

Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 PM

^^^What does that settle Hopes? (genuinely curious)

Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The slogan was put into place by the PA tourist board in February 1989 to replace "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" At the time many people questioned it's accuracy Given that Pennsylvania was the 12th of the original 13 colonies. And the slogan "America Begins in New England" was already being used.

When it comes down to the bottom line, it wasn't really worth fighting about. The increased in historical travel is a rising tide that floats all boats. If you go to Gettysburg, and Philadelphia Hall you are just as likely to also go to Williamsburg or to Faneuil Hall . While the slogan is a little far reaching, it wasn't hurting anybody.
I'm not going to bore everyone with a history lesson about America and Philadelphia. Suffice it to say, the slogan "America starts here" does not refer to PA being the 12th of 13 colonies.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm settling this once and for all!
They aren't talking about a limited access highway, it's joust a route apparently laid out over numerous existing roads. As far as the Turnpike goes here is going to be disputes about that too. Similar limited access roads were in place in NYC and I think Washington before the Turnpike however they were no where near as long as the turnpike connecting major urban areas.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Seriously, it is a vague slogan conjured up by a tourism board. There is nothing definitive so it doesn't matter if you argue for first attempted settlement, first actual settlement, first landing, first constitution, first capital sight, first freeway, etc. None of them are definitive.

Even the name is arguable. It is clear that Amerigo Vespucci came to the South America a hundred years before the British settled Jamestown. His writings were responsible for a stylized version of his name being attached to all of North and South America. There are 600 million residents of The Americas that do not live in the USA, and some of them object to the name America being used solely to mean citizen of the USA. Even Benjamin Franklin preferred the name Columbia, as in District of Columbia or Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean over the name USA, which he thought was too ugly and bureaucratic a name for a nation.

Of course, when USA passed on the name, it was eventually taken by another nation.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,929 times
York, PA uses the slogan "First Capital of the U.S."...which is true depending on how you process the info. The Articles of Confederation were drafted and signed while the Congress was seated in York. It is the precursor to the Declaration of Independence. The congress moved to York after escaping from Philadelphia. They spent on day in Lancaster, but moved across the Susquehanna River for greater protection. btw, many of the reps. hated York....bad water....to much lime.....German language spoken.....and straw for bedding.

Also, York was the first 'setting off place' to move west. It was the St. Joe of the 1700s. Provisions were purchased there, and the travelers left from York....being the last western community on the old road.

Shippensburg/Carlisle was thriving, but they were not on a direct route from Philadelphia. My 7 or 8x grandfather laid out the road between York and Carlisle.

Also, read about the Conway Cabal which took place in York. Saved Washington's position in the army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania