U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2006, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,019 times
Default Info on Freedom, Pa?

Can anyone supply info about the Town of Freedom, quality of life liveability etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 PM

21 posts, read 70,949 times
Stay away from this area, better yet stay away from any town in Beaver County. The area is so runned down and not enjoyable to anyone. Take a drive through the county its a dump. Look into Butler,Washington,Lawrence,Fayette,Somerset,Mercer county areas

Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 PM

67,276 posts, read 54,864,175 times
I would say I agree with andyd33, but as soon as I do, someone will come on here and say it's a wonderful place! So I will say instead, check the stats on city-data. They give you a wealth of information. You don't say why you are interested in Freedom, but if you are looking for a place to live, you should go to Freedom and take a look.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,551,316 times
How about a little bit of real info on Freedom Now? Unlike the other posters, I've actually been there in the last 10 years.
Drive along route 65 in either direction. Get off at the Freedom exit. Drive 3/4 of a mile while paralleling 65 on 4th avenue, and you will end up right back on 65 again. That's Freedom. You will pass a church, a bank, a corner store, Harry Gilarno's garage, the firestation/library, and the Vicary house. The Vicary house was an old sea captains house that was restored by the historical society.The Rochester police officer sitting at the library is probably my buddy B.G., or Chief Joe. Give them a wave. Freedom also goes about three or four streets up the side of a hill. It's all old houses built on top of each other, just like any other river town.
In between Harry's garage and the library you will find 9th street. Go ahead and take a drive up the hill. On the way up you will have a rock wall on your right. Watch out for the water pipe sticking out. It will snag your car door. On your left you will see about four houses that are over a hundred years old. The white line is painted right up against their front porches, while the rear of these houses are on stilts. They over hang about a 300' dropoff. One house used to have a pool in the garage with no back wall. Continue to the top of the hill and you will now be in beautiful New Sewickley Township. The Oak Grove cemetery is on your right. Pop over the hill and head to the first intersection. If you turn right onto Harveys Run You will go right back to Freedom, and also see where the schools are located. I would suggest that you turn left instead. That's Pine Run Road. Turn the corner and stop to see Charlie and Debbie at Pine Run Market. Get some hot wings, or a Charlie Burger with potato wedges. The rest of New Sewickley Township is rural farmland that goes all the way to Cranberry, and Zelienople. It's the second largest land township in all of Pa. It also has a Freedom address just like Conway, and parts of Economy Borough do. That's why you have to be specific when you ask how Freedom is. Because Freedom is a hole in the wall, while there are some very beautiful areas that are sometimes confused with Freedom just because of an address.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
Beaver county definitely has it's share of 'old mill' towns but to classify the county this way as a whole is rather unjustified. I have lived in the Western PA area for 40 years and I have been to all of these counties and towns. Butler, Washington, Lawrence, Fayette, Somerset, Mercer county all have their share of problems. The Beaver county area was hit hard by the collapse of the steel industry and most of the old river towns are just that old. It is funny but somewhat true that the farther away from the river you are the better, with exceptions of course. Is there a place you wish to be near? If you are looking at Beaver County then you could try Beaver. I currently live in the Cranberry area and I am thinking about leaving but staying in the west PA area. If you have kids like I do, pay close attention to the schools and do a little research on them.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 AM

How about a little bit of real info on Freedom Now? Unlike the other posters, I've actually been there in the last 10 years.

I too, have been there in the last 10 yrs. In fact, I drove through Freedom about a month ago. I have become reluctant to use terms like "good" and "bad", especiall bad ones, b/c someone who just loves the place is always at the ready to jump my case. See the last post as a case in point. IMO, you could find a better place to live than Freedom.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:59 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,551,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post

I too, have been there in the last 10 yrs. In fact, I drove through Freedom about a month ago. I have become reluctant to use terms like "good" and "bad", especiall bad ones, b/c someone who just loves the place is always at the ready to jump my case. See the last post as a case in point. IMO, you could find a better place to live than Freedom.
Very true, you can find a better place to live than Freedom. Just driving to the top of the hill is a better place. If it's all you can afford though, Freedom isn't that bad. It's not a dangerous place like Aliquippa. It's just run down and old. It's also very small. The first three roads were removed when they built route 65. That's why the lowest road is 4th avenue. There's a tunnel that goes under 65 to the railroad tracks and the river. I've seen the town flood out because of that tunnel too. The houses have steps instead of driveways. There is no such thing as a yard to play in. I wouldn't live there, but if your buying rentals, or just starting out, there are worse places to buy too.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Freedom has a looooong, long history of flooding. My dad's family went to church there, and I have heard many stories of the St. Patrick's Day flood of 1936 and how the pews were floating in the aisles. That church was taken out when 65 was widened/improved.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,930 times
Default What???

Freedom isnt a big town at all. But they have history about it. Yeah, they have some stores that arent operating, but any place in America is like that. Lived in Beaver County all my life. Not to much happens in Freedom

Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,770 times
When you drive by Gilarnos cover your ears, I used to live in Beaver County and left when all the mills then the bars shut down.There's a whole other world out there.The SOI was a great hangout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania