Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I know lots of people make that argument. It is true, but it is also true that if you buy Cheetos, part of your money goes to pay the salary of the Cheetos delivery guy but nobody thinks of themselves as having employed the Cheetos guy. If you really think that rents will drop by 3% after the tax load is switched, then you've had different landlords that I have had.
. whether or not rent will drop is a different story since property taxes may or may not make up 3% of the cost of rent. rent is determined by supply and demand as well as cost, just like home prices. (setting aside mortgage subsidies, interest rates, etc). anyway, I'm not trying to make the argument that we should eliminate property taxes. I think that's an extreme that isn't necessarily good. the state should have diversified revenue and spending needs to be kept in check. i tend to agree with you that we need to be careful about the repercussions of a switch en masse (and I've tried to highlight the ones I can think of). I also agree with you that this would shift the burden onto younger people while relieving boomers...though I'm sure it's more of a seniors vote and there are a lot of them type thing than intentional generational theft.

Last edited by pman; 10-02-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 02:22 PM

357 posts, read 888,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh for G*d's sake! Many states rely less and less on local property taxes, which, when I took political science were considered extemely regressive, and more on state sales and income taxes to fund schools. Now sales taxes are also considered regressive, and one can make numerous counter-arguments about each of these tax forms, but the Baby Boomers is not a valid argument, IMO.
Yeah, but if you follow the media you'll note that they always play the "grandma is going to lose her home because her property tax is too high now" card when ever this issue is discussed. Clearly the most important issue related to property tax is "protecting seniors"... :-)

Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
Yeah, but if you follow the media you'll note that they always play the "grandma is going to lose her home because her property tax is too high now" card when ever this issue is discussed. Clearly the most important issue related to property tax is "protecting seniors"... :-)
Do you have some link for that?

I agree that elderly people on low incomes who own their own homes have a concern. Some states have some sort of "homestead exemption" for seniors below a certain income.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I invite folks to scroll to post #12 of that thread. Envelopes sometimes are good for sniffing out BS

There had to have been something wrong with the budget scoring of the bill initially for it to even get considered. A billion dollar shortfall isn't too tough to spot from afar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania