U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM

933 posts, read 1,842,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFreeSpirit View Post
Truck Driver.Not OTR type just local dump truck,concrete truck,delivery stuff.
If you're planning on getting a CDL in PA, maybe Lancaster County would be a better suit. Low crime, low rent, lots of local/regional trucking. Dark, Penske, Pepperidge Farms, Tyson and ACME all have large hubs in the county, or near the county like (I think Penske is in Berks, close to the line though). Lots of farm related gigs as well. Schools are safe outside the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM

126 posts, read 85,978 times
Sounds perfect for us. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Is there anywhere like Lancaster county with its low crime,rent and good schools and jobs that isn't as big? I would prefer nothing over 50k people..

Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM

933 posts, read 1,842,852 times
Quote:
Is there anywhere like Lancaster county with its low crime,rent and good schools and jobs that isn't as big? I would prefer nothing over 50k people..
The only municipality in Lancaster County that is over 50k people is Lancaster City, which is moderate crime (high for the area), iffy schools and has a large latino population. In your first post, you did say you wanted to be close to a town of 50k+ Did you mean close to a town under 50k?

If you mean an entire county with a population under 50k, there are a few but none are particularly known for having jobs or quality schools.

Depending where you live in Lancaster county, there are different commerce hubs. In the northeastern corner, Ephrata (12,000) and New Holland (5,000) are the dominant towns. In the center, it's Lancaster city (59,000). In the northwest, it's Mount Joy (6,800) and Elizabethtown (12,000). In the south, it's Quarryville (2,000). Then generally a bunch of unincorporated communities and villages around these areas.

Admittedly, I've never been to West Virginia, though the image that comes to mind would be something like Elk or Potter County in Northern PA. I've spent my entire life within 60 miles of Philadelphia, and what I think of as rural (Lancaster) seemed very suburban and dense after spending a week in Potter, Elk and Clarion counties.

Somewhere like that may be more your speed, perhaps someone who knows more about that area can chime in.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM

Close meaning I want to live in a town of no more than 20k but within 50 miles of a LARGE city...Sorry I didn't specify...I really like Johnstown from the picture I saw on the pic thread and it seems nice.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM

14,453 posts, read 25,476,843 times
Washington, PA?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,238,174 times
Quote:
Any particular places around Pittsburgh to look at?
Sorry about the late response, I have been very busy lately. I say that from what I have read, I could second the suggestion for Washington PA or the surrounding area, I say that the feel can be comparable to Morgantown or Wheeling (I am only familiar with northern WV but hopefully those mean something to you.) Also, Bridgeville seems like a nice community and it is about 15-45 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh depending on traffic. Another possibility would be Monroeville, which is in a above average school district, about 15-45 minutes from downtown depending on traffic, and has a great deal of shopping. If you were willing to look into the city, Greenfield feeds into Taylor Alderdice which ranks among the best schools in the state, but I understand that urban living just isn't for some people. As I stated previously, the Pittsburgh thread is one of the most helpful in the entire forum in my opinion, and I believe that you would get a large number of helpful responses if you had any further questions (also, these were just off the top of my head, if I can think of any other area, I will be sure to let you know.)

Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,989,070 times
Chambersburg, right off I-81, and about 50 miles or so from Harrisburg, not far from many other places.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,655,496 times
Rents in Washington near town are highly inflated due to the Marcellus shale. Even a shack house starts at $1200/month and those have all been solidly rented since 2008. HUD 3BR slum apartments go for $750 - $800 /month. You might be able to find something in Richeyville or Mariana or Avella or a place like that, but those are out in the rural areas. What I found is that you have to buy a home to get anything decent. The newer townhouses w/ 3BR go for $1800/mo & up. There aren't many apartment complexes or townhouse complexes there. Most rental stuff is small apartments in old houses. Most people with kids want the Peters Twp area, like up toward McMurry.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM

What area is this in? Washington,Pa I know is south of Pittsburgh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania