Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM

17 posts, read 33,616 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to relocate to PA from FL in the near future. I am a licensed gun owner and pretty much never leave home without my 9mm. I know my CC license is valid in PA just would like to hear from locals if it is frowned upon? Alot of people down here carry religiously. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,936,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevardscout85 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to relocate to PA from FL in the near future. I am a licensed gun owner and pretty much never leave home without my 9mm. I know my CC license is valid in PA just would like to hear from locals if it is frowned upon? Alot of people down here carry religiously. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
As a former PA resident and gun owner, I dont know if your out of state permit is still valid once you become a PA resident, but CCW permits in PA are easy to obtain.

As far as how accepted it is, that probably depends on where you are. You will not see open carry in PA like you do here in the west. In more rural areas I suspect its more accepted than in the more urban/suburban areas.

PA is a right to carry state except in Philadelphia, but in 10 years I never saw anyone openly carrying in any part of the state. Having a gun in your car is considered concealed in PA. I'm sure you'll hear from others more well versed on the laws than I.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM

932 posts, read 1,931,975 times
Absolutely, friend. PA is a "shall issue" state, meaning unless you are a disqualified gun owner, you'll be approved. There are no registrations for firearms in PA, no need for licensing to own guns or ammo. PA is among the top in NRA members, gun owners and gun carriers per capita, and has the most licensed hunters by a wide margin.

I've been carrying since I was legally able. I've OCed and CCed, it's not uncommon for my shirt to hike up a little over the butt, or for me to print through my pants/shirt. Never had any trouble. Some questions, never a negative reaction though. I would advise deep concealment if entering Philadelphia, however. SEPA is the exception to the rule in Pennsylvania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
As a former PA resident and gun owner, I dont know if your out of state permit is still valid once you become a PA resident, but CCW permits in PA are easy to obtain.

As far as how accepted it is, that probably depends on where you are. You will not see open carry in PA like you do here in the west. In more rural areas I suspect its more accepted than in the more urban/suburban areas.

PA is a right to carry state except in Philadelphia, but in 10 years I never saw anyone openly carrying in any part of the state. Having a gun in your car is considered concealed in PA. I'm sure you'll hear from others more well versed on the laws than I.
I want to expand on this a little bit. By "right to carry", I believe you're saying unlicensed open carry is legal, which is correct, with the exception you stated above. Unlicensed OC is also illegal during a declared state of emergency, and in Philadelphia. Licensed OC is legal in Philadelphia, however, I feel this would be a foolish venture.

I'm sorry you never saw anyone OCing while you were here, there is a growing number of PA gun owners organizing OC events, meet and greets mostly.

I will also add, carry is not legal whatsoever beyond the security checkpoints in court houses and airports, nor in post offices. Most people will say schools are also off limits, however there is a "lawful purposes" clause in the law that bans carry in schools which has gone untested to my knowledge. I certainly wouldn't want to be the test case for that one.

One other thing, I'd advise adding this contact information to your phone's contacts in case you ever have legal trouble regarding your firearms.

Philip Kline, Esq
519 Juniper Street
Quakertown, PA 18951
215 538 4444

Phil Kline is the premier gun rights lawyer in PA. He's located in Quakertown, which is near the line between Greater Phila and Lehigh Valley. He has gun law workshops that you can attend and is an ardent supporter of 2nd amendment rights. I have never had to contact him, but I keep his information in my phone "just in case".

Last edited by BTA88; 11-25-2012 at 06:13 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM

17 posts, read 33,616 times
Thank You Both for the info! This is music to my ears, haha. I am excited on my familys new venture back up north and glad my 9mm and the rest of my collection can come with me! I look forward to running into fellow CC'ers! Take care.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
You definitely want to spend some time here.

Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum

Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM

908 posts, read 1,547,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post

To the OP, I think Pa, aside from Philly, is the most lax on gun laws in the north. This site has more info. : Pennsylvania Open Carry Gun Laws, Information, Fliers and Forum - paopencarry.org

To John292:
Since you know the area, can you tell me of a decent gun store? I want to buy from respectful businesses, not bigots or male chauvinist trash. Unfortunately, there is many of that type up here. I don't go to Walmart based on principal, I definitely won't give hundreds of dollars to idiot gun shop owners. The gun I have now is fine for the house, but not easy for concealed carry, so I need to buy something new before I get my CC license. Are there any nice shops in Lehigh Valley you can recommend, or even in the Poconos? Nothing fancy or extreme killing machines, just a simple, easy to handle handgun that will back an attacker up is all I need.
I appreciate your assistance.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevardscout85 View Post
I am excited on my familys new venture back up north and glad my 9mm and the rest of my collection can come with me!
Be sure to read up on the firearm and ammunition laws of the states you'll be traveling through with your collection especially if you'll be traveling through NJ. I would avoid traveling through there with gun if at all possible.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM

932 posts, read 1,931,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
To the OP, I think Pa, aside from Philly, is the most lax on gun laws in the north. This site has more info. : Pennsylvania Open Carry Gun Laws, Information, Fliers and Forum - paopencarry.org

To John292:
Since you know the area, can you tell me of a decent gun store? I want to buy from respectful businesses, not bigots or male chauvinist trash. Unfortunately, there is many of that type up here. I don't go to Walmart based on principal, I definitely won't give hundreds of dollars to idiot gun shop owners. The gun I have now is fine for the house, but not easy for concealed carry, so I need to buy something new before I get my CC license. Are there any nice shops in Lehigh Valley you can recommend, or even in the Poconos? Nothing fancy or extreme killing machines, just a simple, easy to handle handgun that will back an attacker up is all I need.
I appreciate your assistance.
colorfulchic83, if I may make a suggestion, you might want to try Cabela's in Hamburg. I, personally, don't enjoy the shopping experience there, but they are a very large store with lots of diverse employees and a huge selection. Since it seems you won't be shopping as frequently as someone like me, I think that might be a good choice for you. Since it is a large chain store, you have the added benefit of not dealing with a small minded owner, and if you do have to deal with a rude employee, there is a management structure to rectify the issue. It's at the intersection of 78 and 61 north of Hamburg.

By the way, you'll want to certainly see what suits you the best for a conceal carry gun. I can tell you right now, the store employees will recommend a revolver, probably an S&W featherlight. Or they'll recommend an LCP. I can tell you that the LCP has a long, fatiguing trigger pull -- and this is coming from a 6' tall male who shoots recreationally. I carry a Taurus TCP, I find it has a much better trigger. The down side being, it has a propensity to jam until broken in, so if you do buy a brand new Taurus, be sure to set aside some range time to put at least 2 or 3 boxes of ammo through the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Be sure to read up on the firearm and ammunition laws of the states you'll be traveling through with your collection especially if you'll be traveling through NJ. I would avoid traveling through there with gun if at all possible.
That's an excellent point. New Jersey and Maryland are two of the most strict in the country. It may be adviseable to take a long scenic detour through West Virginia. Be sure to research fully. I believe South Carolina is also a tough state on outsiders with guns.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,547,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
colorfulchic83, if I may make a suggestion, you might want to try Cabela's in Hamburg. I, personally, don't enjoy the shopping experience there, but they are a very large store with lots of diverse employees and a huge selection. Since it seems you won't be shopping as frequently as someone like me, I think that might be a good choice for you. Since it is a large chain store, you have the added benefit of not dealing with a small minded owner, and if you do have to deal with a rude employee, there is a management structure to rectify the issue. It's at the intersection of 78 and 61 north of Hamburg.

By the way, you'll want to certainly see what suits you the best for a conceal carry gun. I can tell you right now, the store employees will recommend a revolver, probably an S&W featherlight. Or they'll recommend an LCP. I can tell you that the LCP has a long, fatiguing trigger pull -- and this is coming from a 6' tall male who shoots recreationally. I carry a Taurus TCP, I find it has a much better trigger. The down side being, it has a propensity to jam until broken in, so if you do buy a brand new Taurus, be sure to set aside some range time to put at least 2 or 3 boxes of ammo through the gun.

That's an excellent point. New Jersey and Maryland are two of the most strict in the country. It may be adviseable to take a long scenic detour through West Virginia. Be sure to research fully. I believe South Carolina is also a tough state on outsiders with guns.
Thanks for the advice. My dad has a Taurus, and he loves it. My husband does too. Its nice but I have very small hands. I'm just not a big person. My dad would still show me how to clean it, and handle it when I was a kid growing up in NJ. I found out the old nut was showing my sons the ropes too, but at a much younger age,lol. I had reservations, but my husband was fine with it. Go figure, men,lol. I just want one for every family member(once they get of age) in case they need it, and i pray we NEVER need it. My husband finds them to be a beautiful species, and may go insane in Cabella's. He also wants to take the boys hunting, so I guess its OK. Imagine that, peace loving, progressives who love guns,lol? We are quite the oxymoron,lol.

Oh, a question on NJ gun laws. I have family there, and visit often. Is it easy to get a CC license if you live out of state? Well, not easy, its NJ. I guess I should say, is it possible? I love NJ, but some places I shop at are rough, and thugs today are no longer the type that only bother other thugs.
Thanks again for advice!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,936,046 times
Actually, I haven't bought a new gun in a long time so I really can't recommend anything. Cabellas also came to mind for me. Coincidentally I was in one here in AZ yesterday looking for snake shot. They were out of it.

almost impossible to get Carry permit in NJ if you are a resident, I dont see it being any easier being a nonresident. Get one in PA. I had a NJ carry permit in the 80s for a job I had at the time. It took months to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania