Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what high speed rail is good at. first of all, how can a $7 bn project be more expensive than a $151 bn project? the reality is, Philly-NY is densely populated and will be incredibly expensive to build. not saying it should or shouldn't be done, but it will be exponentially more expensive than building new right of way in sparsely populated central PA. third, high speed rail's sweet spot is exactly where NY/Philadelphia and Pittsburgh lie...500 miles and under. the high speeds don't mean as much over short distances, cutting travel time from 7.5 hours to 2.5 hours is an enormous change, cutting travel time from 65 minutes to 37 minutes is much less. bear in mind. the cost of Amtrak's plan to tunnel under Philadelphia is $12 bn and will save just a few minutes...more than the entire cost of building HSR to Pittsburgh. to the extent that people support doing that instead of the Pittsburgh segment it's the complete suspension of good judgement. I'm sure New York will appreciate absorbing n ever greater share of the nation's resources, washington too. NY'er Paco couldn't even let a bening comment in a Philadelphia-Pittsburgh thread go without asserting the preeminence of NYC.
I was talking about the $151 billion project of course with my comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
I am still struggling with the $7bn comment. Most costs for 300 km/hr HSR are in the range of $50m-$80m per mile assuming no tunneling.

Even the Amtrak proposal for $151 billion for the 438 mile Northeast Corridor works out to $345 million per mile

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I am still struggling with the $7bn comment. Most costs for 300 km/hr HSR are in the range of $50m-$80m per mile assuming no tunneling.

Even the Amtrak proposal for $151 billion for the 438 mile Northeast Corridor works out to $345 million per mile
* Concept 4 - New passenger only high speed rail line between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh,
generally following the Pennsylvania Turnpike or other major transportation corridor. (Cost
$6.3B).
$50 million a mile would be ~$10 bn...since I don't have the details of the assumptions and neither do you, we cannot know why it's cheaper though perhaps right of way acquisition was mimimal. the turnpike, afterall, follows a partially built rail line that was to be shorter and faster than the current one.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
No, student populations are not included in census counts because they are not permanent residents... but they are around for about 8-9 months of the year, so I like to include them. The total population count of Center City (using the Spring Garden to South Street, River to River borders) and University City would be approximately (and slightly higher than) 140,000 and growing at probably about 2,000 to 3,000 a year. Add in approximately (and slightly higher than) 100,000 students in the area, approximately 30 million yearly visitors to the city, approximately 250,000 daily commuters from the suburbs and you get one hell of a vibrant downtown. That is not including anyone else coming in from other parts of the city or any others coming from the suburbs for any other reason such as shopping, restaurants, bars, plays, museums, downtowns, etc...
Students are counted at their college residence.

College Students Count in the Census, but Where? | Pew Social & Demographic Trends
http://www.census.gov/population/www...sid_rules.html
**College students living away from their parental home while attending college in the U.S. (living either on-campus or off-campus) but staying at their parental home while on break or vacation - Counted at the on-campus or off-campus residence where they live and sleep most of the time.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
since I don't have the details of the assumptions and neither do you, we cannot know why it's cheaper though perhaps right of way acquisition was mimimal. the turnpike, afterall, follows a partially built rail line that was to be shorter and faster than the current one.

I just want to know what study you are citing.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I don't know why I thought of this, but what if Philadelphia and Pittsburgh were one city?

City population would be 1,843,955 (still 5th largest in US), but both are growing

Metro population would be 8,321,628 (4th largest in US)

We would have one killer skyline...

There would be 42 buildings taller than 400 feet, 6th most in the US behind NYC, Chicago, Miami and just slightly behind Houston and San Francisco.

With the 500+ foot PNC Tower under construction and the 450+ foot Cira South and now 700+ foot W Hotel about to begin construction in Philadelphia, we would likely surpase Houston and San Francisco.

Also, we would undoubtedly and unarguably have the 3rd largest and 3rd best downtown in the nation.

We would easily be the best area in the country for college.

Add in all the great neighborhoods in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and it would make one awesome city.

It's interesting to think about.
HAHAHA The first thing popped up in my mind is that we will have a killer skyline! Great minds think alike!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Why do you think I stuck Pittsburgh's residents next to North Philly? In 10 years, after you guys have chased out the trash in the North, we'll relocate you down between West and South West.
BTA88 LOL! That is very mean of you. LOL. Although I secretly love your idea!
It's like instant gentrification

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM

OH and one more question:
What would happen to the entire Alabamian population? You know, the old saying: "In PA state, there are Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in the middle..."

Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
OH and one more question:
What would happen to the entire Alabamian population? You know, the old saying: "In PA state, there are Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in the middle..."
James Carville's famous saying is not really that accurate.

Politically, middle PA is much more Democratic than Alabama. Alabama also has a much higher percentage of regular Wal-Mart shoppers and pickup truck owners. People in middle Pennsylvania are also more likely to own stocks, less likely to own a gun, and rate Jon Stewart much more favorably than Alabamans.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
James Carville's famous saying is not really that accurate.

Politically, middle PA is much more Democratic than Alabama. Alabama also has a much higher percentage of regular Wal-Mart shoppers and pickup truck owners. People in middle Pennsylvania are also more likely to own stocks, less likely to own a gun, and rate Jon Stewart much more favorably than Alabamans.
What, pray tell, does being a Walmart shopper have to do with being a Republican? In some communities, it's the only game in town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania