Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 AM

518 posts, read 2,523,748 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to give some props to forest county. you rarely hear of it, and most people do not even know it exists, but its a nice place for a weekend getaway out in the woods. In the county, there are no red lights, and very little traffic.
there's a few small towns there, such as marienville and tionesta. There are no wal-marts or other chain stores in the county. It is very much separated from the rest of the modern world.
Cook's Forest is a nice place to visit, as well as the Allegheny National Forest which has a station in Marienville. Marienville has a pool and a park for in the summer. They also have a great july 4th celebration every year.
Fishing is great in that area. Its a short drive to the Allegheny Reservoir, which is where several state record fish were caught. You also have the Allegheny River nearby, Tionesta Creek, Spring Creek, Bluejay Creek for trout fishing and the Tionesta Reservior for bass/pike/muskie.
I stayed in the Microtel Inn in Marienville and it is a very nice place for only 40 some bucks a night. They also allow pets there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:28 PM

21 posts, read 108,806 times
I agree, we just moved to tionesta from Kingwood WV the other month. My 2 Kids go to the Forest Area School District. It's a very very very small district with only a few towns in the county.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:52 PM

222 posts, read 1,405,905 times
forest county doesnt even have a traffic light, and half of the homes are vacation homes, its very relaxing, just a few hours to elk country.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,237 times
I am a property owner in the county, and I have known the area since I was a child, the only thing going on that people arent aware of is the natural resources in that county alone being tapped into...hence the destruction of the land. But of course the DEP will argue that fact all day, like I have always stated "its not hard to read an open book". But the area is WONDERFUL, and the people are like family. It is "the country" and worth the visit...your central to Ny, Oh as well!! I hope if you find this post you check into visiting us fine folks in Marienville!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 AM

50 posts, read 395,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Walker View Post
I am a property owner in the county, the only thing going on that people arent aware of is the natural resources in that county alone being tapped into...hence the destruction of the land.

I am in the Power industry. Gas Turbines!!! People complain, Wind Energy, Nuke Energy, Wind Energy people complain...

Cyrstal,
Unless you do not use Electric, Gasoline, or Gas or fuel oil to heat your house... Why would you make such an ignorant remark. Destruction of the Land??? Sorry, but have a friend who company is working in Forest County. I know the restriction and conditions that are applied as well as the Bonds he has to buy...

Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM

50 posts, read 395,906 times
I forgot... Hydro Electric Plants get complaints too... Kills the Fish!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:57 PM

58 posts, read 199,624 times
We need to bring down those dams!

Conserve our natural resources for future generations to enjoy.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 PM

354 posts, read 852,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
I just wanted to give some props to forest county. you rarely hear of it, and most people do not even know it exists, but its a nice place for a weekend getaway out in the woods. In the county, there are no red lights, and very little traffic.
there's a few small towns there, such as marienville and tionesta. There are no wal-marts or other chain stores in the county. It is very much separated from the rest of the modern world.
Cook's Forest is a nice place to visit, as well as the Allegheny National Forest which has a station in Marienville. Marienville has a pool and a park for in the summer. They also have a great july 4th celebration every year.
Fishing is great in that area. Its a short drive to the Allegheny Reservoir, which is where several state record fish were caught. You also have the Allegheny River nearby, Tionesta Creek, Spring Creek, Bluejay Creek for trout fishing and the Tionesta Reservior for bass/pike/muskie.
I stayed in the Microtel Inn in Marienville and it is a very nice place for only 40 some bucks a night. They also allow pets there.
Warren county is also very beautiful and remote and it has one good sized town that has a Wallmart and a walk able down town. Forest County would just be too inconvenient for me to live in.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:09 PM

602 posts, read 2,026,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
I just wanted to give some props to forest county. you rarely hear of it, and most people do not even know it exists, but its a nice place for a weekend getaway out in the woods. In the county, there are no red lights, and very little traffic. .
As someone who owns property in Cooksburg, I wish fewer people heard of it! Not thats it ever gets horribly noisy or busy up there, but we definitely notice the influx of tourists during the summer. The best weekends are during the early summer or in the fall on non-holiday weekends, when there's no one up there. Not to mention, on a clear night, you can see stars you didn't know existed. Everything just moves at a different pace up there and we love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania