Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times

Advertisements

[quote=colorfulchic83;27706309

In any case, outside of Philly, I guess Pittsburgh(I don't know personally, but my girlfriend lives there and said its OK), and the Lehigh Valley, Pa is a racist's haven. Sporadic tolerance doesn't make it otherwise. LOL, what the internet says about this forum is proving true every day.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much explained the entire US of A outside of any urban area, whether is's a small town in PA or another state. Take you never have been or lived in the south?

To generalize the entire population out of Philly, Pittsburgh and the Lehigh Valley as being "racist" is not a true but I do have to agree with you on there being a higher % of this along with a lot of xenophobia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
What on earth are you talking about? Without Pittsburgh/Philadelphia we'd lose a ton of diversity and progressive minds. It would be hillbilly heaven (sorry to the hillbillies out there). I know it's hard for some on here to take any criticism of PA but we all have our opinions.
Plenty of Progressive minds outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, tally up all the higher education institutions and that should answer your question, even if they tend to be filled with people from elsewhere

Didn't Bucknell add a class on NASCAR trailer watching on the Golden Strip recently?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Pretty much explained the entire US of A outside of any urban area, whether is's a small town in PA or another state. Take you never have been or lived in the south?

To generalize the entire population out of Philly, Pittsburgh and the Lehigh Valley as being "racist" is not a true but I do have to agree with you on there being a higher % of this along with a lot of xenophobia.
I have to agree with the bolded, even "progressive" California can get very conservative outside of the coastal metro areas.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post

I never said all, just far too much for comfort. I guess since Pa is in the North East, especially The Wyoming Valley being less than 3hrs from NYC, I was very shocked to see such hatred. I was ignorant to assume it was only in the south. Actually, I have friends who moved here from the south, Carolina's, and they said they were shocked at how bigoted it was up here. It was just not expected so close to NYC.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
The LEAST racist place I ever lived was in a very small town in Western, PA. Some of they most racist were larger cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Education levels never seemed to affect it either way.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
You don't have to live in ALL of Pa to know there is racism in much of it. I know far too many people in many different parts of Pa, and ALL say the same. Of course these are minorities who are the target of racism/xenophobia, and progressive/liberal whites aren't having that despicable madness. Again, I don't care what city-data's extreme right loons think. I'm posting for the progressives & liberals, who like me, assumed they'd get an accurate description of an area on city-data. It is common knowledge that Pa is filled with racists who are NOT willing to change. There is a reason President Obama, Gov. Rendell, John Murtha , and other politicians said Pa is very racist. It only gets worse the further you go from NYC. The people in Wilkes-Barre call African Americans "colored", as if its OK. What year are they living in? I've seen a lesbian couple, one of whom had a mixed race kid, and all you heard from these racist trash is "colored" & the "n" word! Yes, only in Pa do you find racist homosexuals, who hate their own mixed-race kids. Many of these white girls here have babies with African Americans. I thought it was a sign of change, but when you take time to listen to them interact with the poor kids, and see the racist ways the kids are treated, you know nothing has changed. Is it everyone? No, it is not, but its far too many for anyone who is not a bigot to feel comfortable living here. Wilkes-Barre Scranton is supposed to be the more modern part, and that speaks volumes, because they are decades behind in many ways, especially socially & racially.

So progressives & liberals, stay far away, whatever your ethnicity is. Don't be a fool like my friend, thinking you can change these people. They do NOT want it. Just read the comments from their local newspaper sites to see what they are about. The fact that some of the nasty comments are allowed, shows on a greater scale what a racist, backwards dump the place is. No respectful newspaper would allow some of the horrible things these folks say. Just read all the denial form city-data users. They make more excuses & justifications for bigotry, or deny its existence than any site. If you are a minority it will be even more difficult for you to live in much of Pa. Get advice from like-minded people, and those who are sensitive to xenophobia/racism, whether its because they are the target, or they care about it. Honestly, the source is important because many could care less about racism/xenophobia, will never tell you the truth, and accuse everyone of pulling "the race card".
I'm a progressive/liberal and just want to say that your statement does not accurately represent me nor does it accurately represent the state.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I'm a progressive/liberal and just want to say that your statement does not accurately represent me nor does it accurately represent the state.
OK, so either you think outside of the urban areas mentioned, Pa is not largely racist(which is false) because you haven't seen it yourself, or you have no problem with the bigotry and don't even consider it racism? Are you a minority? It can change your perception if you are. Some times you won't notice bigotry if you are not the target. I know many people who are oblivious to it, simply because they aren't the target, some very close to me. Some liberals/progressives are not sensitive to bigotry, and I'll admit a some are even a bit bigoted themselves, though on smaller, less malevolent scale than true racists. Recent polls taken after Obama was re-elected prove it. I notice your location is Philly. Its also difficult to make an accurate assessment when you don't live in the largely racist parts. I foolishly thought the area was OK, because I still spent more time in NJ/NY when I 1st moved here, and my husband & I both still worked in NJ. Once we started working here things weren't OK. The more we interacted with locals the more I saw what my friends who left because of the racism went through. I had to apologize to many for not being sensitive to their hardship living in Pa as a minority.

For those who are more likely to be affected by the vitriol racism here, and sorry if you're white or NOT in an inter-racial relationship, you may not notice it, know that despite what some say here, much of Pa is NOT friendly. My sister didn't notice it either. She thought they were just ignorant because they have few minorities. That's until she became close friends with a foreign man with dark skin. Then the evil racism came out of no where. These were folks she never knew were so hate-filled, until she went to lunch with a brown skinned dude. Not all of PA is like this, but enough to make the odds against you. Why play Russian Roulette with your well-being? Far too many people, outside of city-data's denial crew, agree Pa has a very high rate of racism, even its politicians agree. It is well known for racism among those who are largely discriminated against, minorities. Progressives/liberals who actually see it and fight against racism, and are sensitive to it also agree. Step outside of city-data to learn more, because you will NOT get an accurate description here if you are a minority. Just scan the forums, and look how they respond to questions by minorities.
I should have taken heed of all the warnings to stay away, but I gave the place a chance, and foolishly assumed it couldn't be that bad. It IS! So, people can listen to whom they wish, but ask minorities, and multi-ethnic families, or people of foreign decent, how they are treated in much of Pa. People who fit into these categories have already stated that its miserable and people are bigoted. So listen to them, not those who refuse to take off their rose colored glasses, especially when they are not the target of it. Ask a minority, if you can find one on the forum, because most leave after their 1st few posts. Google it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Huh?

Of course politicians always tell the truth and a majority of Pennsylvanians voted for a Black man, but are actually closet racists. :what:

Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I thought I'd post a direct link to the image of what Virginia's three claimed counties in PA looked like. Presumably they would have been subdivided further if they stayed in the state.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
so has West Vriginia outlived its utility? should it be rolled back into Virginia? seems like that could really cut the trip time between Pittsburgh and VA.
--meandering thoughts of a PA resident, err, backwards, loony, right wing, racist pedophile (please feeel free to let me know if I missed one). things are great in buffalo but as soon as you get to erie it's all talk radio, cross burnings, and raping little kids. this thread has been so illuminating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania