U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM

134 posts, read 197,445 times

Advertisements

Hello, wonderously helpful City-Data folks

I posted a little while back in the Connecticut forum asking for help about finding a town to live in, and now my boyfriend and I are driving back east in a month (from the Midwest) to do some in-person looking about.

Quick question - last time we drove east, we stopped halfway across Pennsylvania. The hotel was... adequate... but the town didn't seem to offer much. This time, we'd prefer to stop somewhere we could actually stay overnight and perhaps visit the town for half a day or so. We generally stay at Marriott or Choice hotels as we belong to their reward programmes.

Are there any towns you'd recommend about halfway across the state in the above criteria that you think are worth a stop? Something with a cute downtown to stroll, some nice (not expensive) restaurants, coffeeshops, scenery, etc?

"Halfway point" for us would be somewhere between, say, Clarion and Lewisburg. We'll be driving on I-80.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas! Thank you in advance...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM

6,619 posts, read 7,452,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaMarlowe View Post
Hello, wonderously helpful City-Data folks

I posted a little while back in the Connecticut forum asking for help about finding a town to live in, and now my boyfriend and I are driving back east in a month (from the Midwest) to do some in-person looking about.

Quick question - last time we drove east, we stopped halfway across Pennsylvania. The hotel was... adequate... but the town didn't seem to offer much. This time, we'd prefer to stop somewhere we could actually stay overnight and perhaps visit the town for half a day or so. We generally stay at Marriott or Choice hotels as we belong to their reward programmes.

Are there any towns you'd recommend about halfway across the state in the above criteria that you think are worth a stop? Something with a cute downtown to stroll, some nice (not expensive) restaurants, coffeeshops, scenery, etc?

"Halfway point" for us would be somewhere between, say, Clarion and Lewisburg. We'll be driving on I-80.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas! Thank you in advance...
You didn't say how far off I-80 you were willing to travel. The weather probably won't be the greatest for sightseeing. If I stayed close to I-80 the choices would be Clarion, Brookville, Bellefonte and Lewisburg. Either Bellefonte or Lewisburg would be the best choices.

If you are willing to drive away from I-80, State College would be a good choice. On Feb 2, Punxsutawney celebrates Ground Hog Day. It would be about a 20 mile drive off I-80 from Brookville on Route 36. There will be a large crowd and not much else to see in Punxsy.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM

Oh, I apologise - perhaps 15-20 minutes away from I-80, or a half-hour for something really great?

Thanks for the town suggestions, although we don't know much about any of them what would be most interesting about Bellefonte, Lewisburg, or State College?

(We're not leaving early enough in Feb. to catch Groundhog Day, although it sounds fun!)

Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 AM

21,534 posts, read 19,331,352 times
Bellefonte would be an ideal place to stay overnight and look around town in central Pennsylvania. There's a big hotel in the downtown that looks like it came from Austria or Switzerland and the park and fountains are beautiful. And there are mansions, too.
I -80 is a love hate relationship, mostly hate. Its usually a fast drive, but traffic is a pain( trucks) and construction delays can be aggravating. From Lewisburg to Bellefonte I avoid it completely taking 192, or sometimes 45, which is nearly as fast, practically no traffic( no trucks) and the scenery is far superior.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM

35,516 posts, read 64,776,237 times
What town did you stay in that "didn't offer much"?

Clarion, Brookville or Lewisburg are good choices. Clarion and Lewisburg are college towns; Brookville has some good antique shops. I've never been to Bellefonte, but it sounds like it's worth exploring.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM

9,611 posts, read 15,057,822 times
Quote:
Oh, I apologise - perhaps 15-20 minutes away from I-80, or a half-hour for something really great?

Thanks for the town suggestions, although we don't know much about any of them what would be most interesting about Bellefonte, Lewisburg, or State College?
State College is home to Penn State University. The walkable downtown is fun to browse and shop, there's good restaurants and bars with live music, an ice rink, and don't miss the Creamery: Penn State Creamery — Penn State College of Ag Sciences

Bellefonte is a quaint town with Victorian architecture and a walkable downtown with shopping and restaurants.

Bellefonte and State College are only about 10 miles apart so you could probably hit both - if you're coming off I-80, you'll have to pass Bellefonte to get to State College anyway!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM

IcyTea, that sounds great! Thank you We may try the alternate scenery route, having made the I-80 drive about six times now I think we've seen all there is to see on the highway itself.

OhioGirl, don't want to insult what may be a perfectly good PA town to some people on a public forum!

PA2UK, thanks for the extra info

I think we're going to try a Bellefonte/State College combo, and we may try IcyTea's other route, depending on the weather. Thank you all for your help!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,236,163 times
Icy Tea's alternate routes will bring you into Lewisburg, which is just a short distance south of I-80 so you can easily hop back on to continue your trip to CT.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM

2,921 posts, read 4,878,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Bellefonte would be an ideal place to stay overnight and look around town in central Pennsylvania. There's a big hotel in the downtown that looks like it came from Austria or Switzerland and the park and fountains are beautiful.
I think you're referring to what was once known as the Brockerhoff Hotel (now known as the Brockerhoff House). Currently, it serves as housing for the elderly disabled.

Quote:
I think we're going to try a Bellefonte/State College combo...
If you do decide to stay in Bellefonte, you should definitely plan on staying in one of their beautiful, Victorian-era B&B's. Those located on Linn St. are an easy walk to Bellefonte's downtown shopping district. (Look under "Lodging" on the website referenced below.)

Victorian Bellefonte: Old-world charm in a modern world

Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM

2,978 posts, read 2,935,796 times
Penns Cave

http://www.pennscave.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania