Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nice try, but I am talking about police using a device that isn't accurate.
Police perceptions aren't 100% accurate either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Police perceptions aren't 100% accurate either.
No one's perception is 100% accurate, but if you are going to mess someone's life up and potentially have someone lose their job, you better have an accurate device to decide someone's fate. I don't blame police, but the policy. Police, fireman, cyclists, dog walkers and others will make mistakes, but to rely on a device that isn't accurate is obviously wrong.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
PA Lawyer Wants To Do Away With Breathalyzers « CBS Pittsburgh

Hope this is a statewide thing. These stupid devices are no accurate at all and there are way too many people that have lost jobs, had lives destroyed and more because of these devices that don't work properly.

Curtis, there are essentially two ways to prove someone was impaired while operating a car. One, is from physical observations. So, regardless of whether or not someone blew a .136 or a a .254 they still can be covicted of a DUI. Also,the article said the Judge found the machines inaccurate at low levels and at high levels. He found them to be accurate in the middle. The other way is breath or blood. So, even if the tests are thrown out the person could still be found guilty of DUI. In my experience it is rare when someone passes the field sobriety test and fails either the blood or breath test.

Frankly, my guess on why the Pittsburgh Police still use them is that they don't want to transport the person to the hospital and wait while blood was drawn. Who cares if it takes a week or so to get the results.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Don't you have to the right to tell them no? Out here if we are stopped for a possible DUI, we can get arrested, and then get the blood test, which is far more accurate.... and usually takes way longer for them to administer....

By the way -- I NEVER drink and drive ... my alcohol tolerance is SO low that I'm near plastered half way through one drink.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM

250 posts, read 359,687 times
The issue is not the inaccuracy at high or low levels, though that is a concern. The much bigger issue is false positives, and whether or not a cop believes that you swerved because of a gust of wind, or can't say the alphabet backwards, or just in general have bad balance. If he doesn't, and you are a diabetic, low-carber, painter who was recently working, asthmatic who recently used an inhaler, or just suffering some acid reflux... Enjoy your surprise trip downtown to spend some quality time with fine upstanding people while you get poked with needles. Or, if you're unlucky enough to be in the wrong jurisdiction, just get charged without any additional testing.

Again, it may not seem like a big deal because it would seem a rare case for all these factors to align. But they do happen. So to endorse such things is to accept that you are intentionally putting innocent people through the ringer. Some people can live with that attitude I guess; ruin lives to save lives. Personally I think it's reprehensible.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
well the solution seems simple enough- take people back to the station and run a blood test. if breathalyzers can return false positives, they shouldn't be the sole method used to determine BAC. but that doesn't mean you can't use them at all.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 PM

250 posts, read 359,687 times
If you have no objection to cuffing innocent people, stranding their vehicles, forcing them to give up hours so you can take them downtown and jab them with needles against their will... then, uh, yeah I guess it's a simple solution.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
If you have no objection to cuffing innocent people, stranding their vehicles, forcing them to give up hours so you can take them downtown and jab them with needles against their will... then, uh, yeah I guess it's a simple solution.
So what would you recommend as the fairest way to detect and properly address those driving under the influence?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Quote:
PA Lawyer Wants To Do Away With Breathalyzers « CBS Pittsburgh

Hope this is a statewide thing. These stupid devices are no accurate at all and there are way too many people that have lost jobs, had lives destroyed and more because of these devices that don't work properly.

Here are statistics for 2010 which are currently the most up to date compiled data of such.
Source; Crash Facts :: PA DUI

• 459 people died in alcohol-related crashes.
  • 91% of the alcohol-related occupant deaths (drivers and passengers) were in the vehicle driven by the drinking driver; 75% were the drinking drivers themselves.
  • 72% of the drinking drivers in traffic crashes were male.
  • 72% of the alcohol-related crashes were during the hours of darkness, usually on weekends.
  • On average each day, 34 alcohol-related traffic crashes occurred.
  • On average each day, 1.3 persons were killed in alcohol-related traffic crashes.
  • On average each day, 26 persons were injured in alcohol-related traffic crashes.

In my opinion if you even have one drink YOU DO NOT DRIVE PERIOD!!!

Breathalyzers are an extremely important tool in order to fight this scourge and blight upon the roads of this country.

If you don't like it that's your problem if you end up killing someone because of your stupidity then it's everyone's problem!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
So what would you recommend as the fairest way to detect and properly address those driving under the influence?
Seems if there is one accurate way to tell if someone is over the limit, then the answer is blood test. You can't have officers having faulty equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: