U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM

230 posts, read 262,449 times
Default Will I ever get a Spanish teaching job in PA?

So, I'm from PA. Went to school in PA (Greenville High school...then St. Vincent College...then Seton Hill College)...got my teaching certification in PA...then moved to MD where I started my teaching career and have been teaching here for 11 years. I'd like to move back to PA and do what I do best : Teach Spanish.

But, WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT FOR TEACHERS TO FIND JOBS IN PA?? People are telling me to forget it. Won't happen.

Can anyone shed light on this? Are there ANY opportunities at ALL? (obviously I don't want to teach in the ghetto).

Frustrated and wanting to move back home....
eav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM

10,263 posts, read 16,294,548 times
Easy question!

*Pennsylvania schools pay well and have strong Unions.

*We have thousands of kids that graduate from our many colleges with education degrees. Everyone of these students student taught in local schools and is Pennsylvania certified. Principals and the HR people would just as soon hire someone that has already done test run in their schools.

*Districts that are having budget problems often eliminate the non-core subjects first, which includes Foreign languages.

*No one wants to teach in our lower paying, challenging city schools which makes the non-city schools much more sought after.

*Because of budget cuts there are many out of work experienced teachers also looking for work.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 PM

I am from Pa and got my original teaching certification in PA and passed all PA Praxis tests--Maryland just happens to have reciprocity with PA so I didn't have to do anything else...so, although the updated certification says MD on it, all coursework was done in PA...I student taught in PA. will that matter? I'm just sad. I want to move back home but need a job.

how BAD are Pittsburgh Public Schools?

Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM

16,649 posts, read 15,638,179 times
I spent my first 15 years teaching in MD trying to move back to PA to teach. I'm in year 29 in MD now.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM

A friend of my son's has been teaching in Pittsburgh schools for two years now. It was his first teaching job out of college. He's a PSU grad. His parents say that he finds it challenging but enjoyable.

eav1221, Were you able to keep your PA certs up to date? Principal's often don't want to bother with someone that is lacking current certifications when they can get someone that is good to go.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM

42,414 posts, read 47,526,931 times
If you taught Latin, you'd be hired in a heartbeat by one of the highest paying school districts in the state.

If you taught secondary Math or Science, you'd have your choice of school districts in the large metro areas where the pay is better.

If you taught secondary English or History, you'd be able to find a job somewhere in the state but it would likely be low pay in a rural area.

But you teach Spanish. You're going to have to work harder to find a spot. That might mean moving here and sub'ing to network.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Well I'm working on Teaching ENglish as a 2nd language. Does that give an edge to your certification? I also speak basic Chinese and French. Thinking about getting endorsed in both languages. what I'm hearing is that there's a good chance of me getting in the system without any difficulty? Just kidding

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Well I'm working on Teaching ENglish as a 2nd language. Does that give an edge to your certification? I also speak basic Chinese and French. Thinking about getting endorsed in both languages. what I'm hearing is that there's a good chance of me getting in the system without any difficulty? Just kidding
Any type of education or certification can't do anything but help, right? I'm assuming that you are certified to teach Spanish K-12?

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM

85 posts, read 78,635 times
I work for a Community Action Agency in Williamsport, a non-profit, and they are always looking for Head Start teachers who know Spanish. Of course, that means you won't be teaching Spanish, just communicating with Spanish speaking students.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up! It's a start Low pay, I'm assuming...maybe I'm wrong though?? probably not. I need to make X amt. of dollars...above 50K...to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania