Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am a registered nurse currently living outside of Philly with my husband and young son (7 yo). I've read a number of threads regarding Johnstown, pa, the good, the bad, and the ugly. We are considering a move to Blair or Cambria county, and I am fascinated by all the conflicting accounts regarding Johnstown and altoona. I would like to hear from people who currently live or work in these areas, or who know them well. I don't think that finding employment would be an issue in my field, and coming from where I live the cost of living seems pretty reasonable. I currently pay 2500 a year in property taxes on a tiny little twin home in a crappy neighborhood in a crappy school district. The greater Philly region has its charms, but I think I'm over it. I'm an outdoors kinda lady at heart. My husband is Hispanic, I am white, would that be an issue? More info on your region please! Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM

10,295 posts, read 10,539,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosiePA View Post
Hello all, I am a registered nurse currently living outside of Philly with my husband and young son (7 yo). I've read a number of threads regarding Johnstown, pa, the good, the bad, and the ugly. We are considering a move to Blair or Cambria county, and I am fascinated by all the conflicting accounts regarding Johnstown and altoona. I would like to hear from people who currently live or work in these areas, or who know them well. I don't think that finding employment would be an issue in my field, and coming from where I live the cost of living seems pretty reasonable. I currently pay 2500 a year in property taxes on a tiny little twin home in a crappy neighborhood in a crappy school district. The greater Philly region has its charms, but I think I'm over it. I'm an outdoors kinda lady at heart. My husband is Hispanic, I am white, would that be an issue? More info on your region please! Many thanks
You may not have trouble finding a job but there are few jobs in both Johnstown and Altoona. The situation in Johnstown will probably get worse since Congressman Murtha was able to bring many government related jobs to this town. Many of these contracts will not be renewed.

Western PA, West Virginia and Southeastern Ohio have one of the lowest percentage of Hispanics of anyplace in the US. As long as this doesn't bother him, it shouldn't be an issue in finding a job as long as he is fluent in English.

Be very careful about researching school districts. School districts in this area vary widely. Check the online test data and visit the schools in the areas you are considering. The city schools are bad, but many of the rural schools are just as poor.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 12,519 times
The Johnstown region is second to nome with outdoor beauty, low cost of living, theatre, arts, and sporting events. BTW Murtha is gone and the contracts were renewed because of a talented hard working workforce.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,941,906 times
Quote:
Don't do it. Johnstown is a soul-sucking hell hole. Your children will resent you for moving them to that utter pit of despair. Move to Pittsburgh or one of it's suburbs instead. The cost of living is low because you don't actually live in Johnstown.....You just sit around waiting for your heart to stop beating.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,941,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crssay60 View Post
The Johnstown region is second to nome with outdoor beauty, low cost of living, theatre, arts, and sporting events. BTW Murtha is gone and the contracts were renewed because of a talented hard working workforce.
This is someone's life we're talking about here. "second to none" in terms of arts and theater? "SECOND TO NONE"? I'm at a loss with that statement. I just don't know what to do aside from laugh.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,750,185 times
Quote:
a friend of mine ni the philly suburbs pays $2k a year for a somewhat dated rancher in a good school district. I have a coworker who lives in (or more accurately outside of) johnstown and loves it but her kids are grown. Of the two I'd probably pick altoona. the railroad is still very much in business and last time I was there Penn State was busy buying buildings downtown. you may also want to consider small times in central PA such as elizabethtown

Old 11-01-2013, 02:58 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,111,299 times
I think you should look at the Pittsburgh area or State College instead of Johnstown. It's a very scenic area, but economically it's in rather bad shape.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 12,519 times
yes pick the declining g city of Pittsburgh you can see NFL players get assaulted on the south side

Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,621 times
I don't know anything about Johnstown, PA or any of that area, but from what I was reading about Pittsburgh is a better place. Pittsburgh has flaws also. Its a very friendly fun place I know Pittsburgh somewhat because of my relatives. I could walk the streets and run into somebody I am related to and not know it I have so many and I grew up in Michigan so I didn't get to know all of the family. Anways, it is very polluted. All of my relatives have either experienced cancer or are dead from it. People get sick there a lot (throwing up).

Your right about being a nurse you could live anywhere. If I were you and your family you guys should do some vacationing in different places to find out where you want to go. Good luck in what you want to do.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,997,453 times
If you want to live in that general area, check out Hollidaysburg. It's a beautiful town.

Johnstown is awesome if you're into historic old cities that are gritty and way past their prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania