U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM

724 posts, read 758,217 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to York, PA in a couple of weeks. It will be me and my boyfriend, no kids. What are some areas to be avoided and why? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 AM

3,933 posts, read 4,060,007 times
I've walked all over the city of York. In spite of the high crime rate, I felt safe in most areas, except for the area around South Queen Street, south of downtown York. This part of town had a lot of very unsavory characters roaming the streets and just felt very sketchy to me. That said, just exercise street smarts and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. York is a fascinating and beautiful small city.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 AM

724 posts, read 758,217 times
So, the south side?

Also, I looked up York's crime statistics. Why is the crime rate so high?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,907,587 times
The crime rate is so high because of the numbers of crimes for the population. York has a fair amount of gang activity and it's also the transfer point for drug traffic from Baltimore/Washington DC to Philadelphia/NJ and New York City. But, that being said, York itself as a whole is a great community. There are many places that have a York address and zip code, that are removed from the sketchy part of the city (downtown). The areas I would avoid (as the poster above mentioned) are pretty much anything off of South Queen Street & South George, West Market out to Richland Avenue, the area around the fair grounds, the areas north of Market and Philadelphia until you get to the state streets, and parts of Philadelphia and Market Street. During the summer they become the cruising circuit and traffic is crazy busy, the streets are often closed for parades or events. The fairground area parking is impossible during the 10 days of the York Fair (permits required, lots of foot traffic). There are some nice areas in/around Beaver Street, East Market near the YWCA and then the area of East Market street near where it intersects with Route 83 are charming and safe. Going south on Queen Street and George Street, as you get near the hospital and strip malls you are somewhat out of the city (into Spring Garden Township) but still have a York address, these areas are safe and populated with apartments. West York area (past the fairgrounds) seems to be pretty good. My advice would be to find a place outside the city limits, and go into the city for restaurants, market, happy hours, etc. but the suburbs for living & shopping.
I lived in York for 23 years, so if you have specific questions about specific streets, apartment complexes etc., please PM me.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 PM

20 posts, read 9,945 times
Get a place over by the Harley plant Caterpillar plant.
Check Sycamore drive. Hollywood drive. I have family on both. Very cool.
Better yet, you might love Wrightsville or Columbia, just a few miles away.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM

68 posts, read 46,366 times
Honestly, just drive around and see for yourself. Its pretty easy to see the bad areas from the good areas.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 13,841 times
York neighborhoods really are a case by case basis. I have a place in the Avenues in downtown York and I feel incredibly safe there, have never had a single problem, and know all my immediate neighbors and they look out for each other. I have walked all over central York and have seen one block be absolutely fine, nice houses, clean fronts, people treating each other respectfully and then the next block is absolutely the opposite. York has quite a bit of crime, but it tends to involve people involved in criminal activity...as a person just minding their own business, and who exhibits some smarts out on the street, it is just a wonderful community to live in.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:28 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,584,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
The crime rate is so high because of the numbers of crimes for the population. York has a fair amount of gang activity and it's also the transfer point for drug traffic from Baltimore/Washington DC to Philadelphia/NJ and New York City. But, that being said, York itself as a whole is a great community. There are many places that have a York address and zip code, that are removed from the sketchy part of the city (downtown). The areas I would avoid (as the poster above mentioned) are pretty much anything off of South Queen Street & South George, West Market out to Richland Avenue, the area around the fair grounds, the areas north of Market and Philadelphia until you get to the state streets, and parts of Philadelphia and Market Street. During the summer they become the cruising circuit and traffic is crazy busy, the streets are often closed for parades or events. The fairground area parking is impossible during the 10 days of the York Fair (permits required, lots of foot traffic). There are some nice areas in/around Beaver Street, East Market near the YWCA and then the area of East Market street near where it intersects with Route 83 are charming and safe. Going south on Queen Street and George Street, as you get near the hospital and strip malls you are somewhat out of the city (into Spring Garden Township) but still have a York address, these areas are safe and populated with apartments. West York area (past the fairgrounds) seems to be pretty good. My advice would be to find a place outside the city limits, and go into the city for restaurants, market, happy hours, etc. but the suburbs for living & shopping.
I lived in York for 23 years, so if you have specific questions about specific streets, apartment complexes etc., please PM me.
I grew up in York and a lot of the streets you mentioned were my newspaper route back in the days. I don't think York is bad compared to the big cities. I still drive through the old neighborhoods when I am in town.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,796 times
SERIOUSLY thinkin' about buying property in the SPRINGDALE area - after looking at some small farm properties North of York... but now kinda' concerned /confused with you mentioning & warning about 'anything off South George & South Queen' - which is the boundary for SRINGDALE.... ANY further insight would be appreciated from a (possible future) neighbor [depending on what area YOU are in...). And just curious... are you a teacher with your 'handle' (TEACHBEACH) - as MOST teachers know well the kids - parents and areas they work (and live) in....

Thanx again for any advice....

And curious as to what 3DIVINA found in York to live , and what she NOW THINKS of the area she (maybe) moved into IN York.....

Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,907,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4legd View Post
SERIOUSLY thinkin' about buying property in the SPRINGDALE area - after looking at some small farm properties North of York... but now kinda' concerned /confused with you mentioning & warning about 'anything off South George & South Queen' - which is the boundary for SRINGDALE.... ANY further insight would be appreciated from a (possible future) neighbor [depending on what area YOU are in...). And just curious... are you a teacher with your 'handle' (TEACHBEACH) - as MOST teachers know well the kids - parents and areas they work (and live) in....

Thanx again for any advice....

And curious as to what 3DIVINA found in York to live , and what she NOW THINKS of the area she (maybe) moved into IN York.....
Be sure and visit the area...many parts of Springdale are wonderful, stately older homes with lots of character. Also VERY high taxes if they are part of York City..if they are in Spring Garden Township they will be lower. Springdale butts up to the back of York College, which can be peaceful and serene during the summer and full of parties and wild times when the students are in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania