Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On the Urban Planning subforum, the discussion drifted recently to the various boroughs in the Eastern PA Coal Region. Mostly because of how unusual their urban typology is for the U.S.
Lehigh Valley's population could increase by 227,000 over next 30 years. Both Lehigh and Northampton counties will continue to add more than 30,000 residents a decade for the next 30 years.

Scranton, Wilkes Barre is not fundamentally different than the Lehigh Valley. I think the same forces at work there will eventually have some effect on NE Pennsylvania but probably to a lesser degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A light rail line is something that could probably work really well in the Scranton/W-B area. Generally speaking you have a 3 mile wide stretch of densely and loosely connected cities and boroughs that is 30+miles long. I don't know the condition or if it's even possible to use but the rail beds are already there. Some of them may be in use for cargo.

The busing service is already in place servicing these areas, they could eliminate some of those bus routes so they were not competing with the rail and better utilize them as extensions of the rail service.

As for service to Philly, NYC I don't think that will work at all. It would be novel for short time and then falter.
I can see a diesel Light Rail similar to the NJT RiverLine running from Carbondale to Wilkes Barre. I would also run some Diesel MU's all the way down to Harrisburg stopping at towns like Berwick-Nescopeck , Bloomsbury , Danville , Sunbury , Harrisburg. These trains would operarte with speeds up to 80mph and 12 roundtrips daily. In Sunbury I would create a branch to Williamsport with stops in Northumberland , Milton , Watsontown , Montourville and Williamsport.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I'd take it one step further, SEPTA isn't needed in reading. the reason I mentioned limited stop diesel keystone style service is because this thread is about the coal regions and that kind of service is really what's needed in reading and perhaps pottsville or perhaps it goes to harrisburg not slow electrified commuter service. SEPTA doesn't need to go past phoenixville or possibly pottstown. just adding phoenixville would be a big step and much cheaper. another place that could use limited intercity (think lynchburg) type service is williamsport. a healthy williamsport would be good for a host of smaller places in that region.
With the Rapid growth in PA , extending SEPTA up to Reading and Allentown along with Oxford , the Stony Branch and Newtown will greatly ease the stress on the Regional Roads and Highways in the long run. Keystone type Service should between Harrisburg and Allentown and onto New York which is already called for in the long term plans as Lehigh Express service. Electrification may seem far fetched now , but many countries and companies are currently Electrifying or Re-Electrifying entire networks due to rapid growth and fuel prices going up which they will here eventually... The 6 Extension cost assumed the Ivy Ridge line was to restored , take that out and you'll probably drop the price by a decent amount... Seeing as there is a Nuclear Power Station in Pottstown Electrification should be all that expensive. Outside SEPA , Lehigh Valley and Harrisburg region most of the other lines should be diesel. With the Exception of the proposed Harrisburg-Baltimore line , that should be Electric...along with the Lehigh Line. As for the proposed Harrisburg/Carlisle/Chambersburg/Hagerstrom line and the Hanover/Gettysburg line those should be Diesel with 6-10 round trips daily.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
With the Rapid growth in PA , extending SEPTA up to Reading and Allentown along with Oxford , the Stony Branch and Newtown will greatly ease the stress on the Regional Roads and Highways in the long run. Keystone type Service should between Harrisburg and Allentown and onto New York which is already called for in the long term plans as Lehigh Express service. Electrification may seem far fetched now , but many countries and companies are currently Electrifying or Re-Electrifying entire networks due to rapid growth and fuel prices going up which they will here eventually... The 6 Extension cost assumed the Ivy Ridge line was to restored , take that out and you'll probably drop the price by a decent amount... Seeing as there is a Nuclear Power Station in Pottstown Electrification should be all that expensive. Outside SEPA , Lehigh Valley and Harrisburg region most of the other lines should be diesel. With the Exception of the proposed Harrisburg-Baltimore line , that should be Electric...along with the Lehigh Line. As for the proposed Harrisburg/Carlisle/Chambersburg/Hagerstrom line and the Hanover/Gettysburg line those should be Diesel with 6-10 round trips daily.
I don't see that as being worthwhile for PA to pursue (harrisburg-lehigh valley). I'd go with with extensions of the current septa network to bethlehem and keystone style service to reading and hershey. oxford would be nice but west chester should come first. electrification is expensive and probably isn't appropriate for low frequency new routes in the current environment. williamsport should feed the keystone corridor.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
A Philadelphian takes an "Anthracite Heritage" road trip.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:32 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I was just in Wilkes-Barre, Shamokin, Mount Carmel, Centralia, Ashland and Frackville last week!

What a trip!

Highlights of the trip: a hot dog "with the works" at Coney Island Lunch in Shamokin! "Barbecue" (really a kind of 'Sloppy Joe' sandwich in Mount Carmel) Pioneer Mine Tour in Ashland. Found a couple of good thrift stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania