Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a no-frills kind of place that doesn't have the sports obsession of some areas. Somewhere that people don't care what teams you root for, or whether you root for any team whatsoever or even know who's on the roster of such in such teams.

Also somewhere that people don't think locals born and raised in such in such place are better than everybody else.

Somewhere that a person could get by without a car would be nice too, especially with local grocery stores that can be walked to and from relatively easily, and that has some kind of a public transportation link to the outside world (e.g. Greyhound, Amtrak, commuter transit).

Somewhere that has nice parks and neighborhoods where folks can get their exercise by walking, and a place where there isn't so much hunting going on that even if you're wearing blaze orange while out walking you get a little nervous about the gunfire. Also somewhere where there aren't a bunch of loose dogs, especially like neighborhoods where people think it's perfectly okay to just let their guard dog run loose and hence intimidate anybody who "dares" to walk through their neighborhood, meaning neighborhoods where people think they own the street and sidewalk in front of their house as well as the house. In other words, I want a recreational walker friendly place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
You might consider Kutztown; it's situated about halfway between Allentown and Reading on US 222, and has a college which is usually considered the most "liberal" among those that comprise what was once known as the Pennsylvania "Teachers' College" system. What is now referred to as "KU" specialized in Art Education at one time, and the town has a reputation as somewhat of an artist's colony -- was home to the late Keith Haring.

The are very few places outside the major cities where I'd recommend trying to live without an automobile, but Kutztown is home and hub to the Bieber bus system, which has a substantial number of regular departures to New York via Allentown, and a respectable system of connections, particularly into New England. The downtown is walkable, and has a much higher proportion of local business than chains -- no McDonald's and most of the other franchise joints are a couple of miles out of town. The surrounding countryside is also considerably more bike-friendly than most (you can get into Allentown via the back roads snd Trexlertown has a velodrome), probably due to the presence of a goodly contingent of Mennonites and Old Order Amish.

Like everywhere else in rural Pennsylvania, a lot of the male population has a strong interest in hunting and fishing, but the passion for sports is more concentrated in the "Coal Cracker" communities to the north; the single biggest anomaly around here seems to be a passion for amateur baseball. It might also be noted that in many of the outlying communities, participation in, and respect for the military has been a strong local tradition.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-09-2013 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: duplicate post

Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
the obvious answer is Philly. is that too big? there are neighborhoods that feel like small towns

Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 AM

How about West Chester, is that nice ?

Reading my post, I sound a bit rude ! Apologize for that. I was in a bad mood. I've no problem with people hunting, but it would be nice to be able to walk somewhere where there isn't a ton of hunting going on, and I guess it depends on the season. Deer season is the best time to avoid walking in a heavy hunting area in my experience, even wearing blaze orange. Also, I definitely do have a problem with neighborhoods where unrestrained guard dogs are used essentially to prevent people from walking through their neighborhood. Who deserves to get attacked or intimidated by a guard dog on the other side of the street from a property ? Owners who would allow this to happen are not very nice.

As for my comment about avoiding places where "locals are better than anyone else" that was just my bitterness talking. Although I don't want to live anywhere that transplants are treated with the cold shoulder even if they've been there for a long time. Not sure if there are any places like that, but you hear about places like that.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
west chester is a beautiful town. looks like a slice of philly. lots of bars and coffeeshops, even a market in town. there are a lot of college kids but its not just a college town. if youre looming for nice large towns, phoenixville, media, ambler are also nice as is chestnut hill, mt airy, and manayunk in Philly. ive been encouraged by what im seeing in lancaster city as well.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
west chester is a beautiful town. looks like a slice of philly. lots of bars and coffeeshops, even a market in town. there are a lot of college kids but its not just a college town. if youre looming for nice large towns, phoenixville, media, ambler are also nice as is chestnut hill, mt airy, and manayunk in Philly. ive been encouraged by what im seeing in lancaster city as well.
Thanks ! I guess the problem with West Chester is it might be too expensive. I guess that's why Kutztown might be a better choice. But I'll definitely look at the other locations you mentioned.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Thanks ! I guess the problem with West Chester is it might be too expensive. I guess that's why Kutztown might be a better choice. But I'll definitely look at the other locations you mentioned.
Have you considered Central Pennsylvania?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Have you considered Central Pennsylvania?
Been there and done that. (State College). That's kind of where the "sports obsession" comment came from. I'd like a place where sports, particularly Big 10 football/basketball, Steelers, & Penguins aren't so dominant in the daily conversation.

Anywhere other than State College that you had in mind in central PA?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
You might visit York and see what you think. I was blown away.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
You might visit York and see what you think. I was blown away.
I've been there once, but only briefly. I've been around the I-83 bypass a few times enroute to BWI airport from State College.

I did get a favorable impression of York and that region of PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania