Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,409 times

Advertisements

I am possibly thinking of moving to Pennsylvania and I'm not sure which location would best suit me and my family. PA is a big state but I'm possibly thinking of areas in Western PA, Central PA but nothing near Eastern PA. So I'm wondering what are the Good and the Bad points of PA? What would you list as good things about PA and what would be bad things about PA? Any comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
What are you looking for? Urban, Suburban, rural, middle-of-nowhere?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:32 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,409 times
Nice town with shopping and malls but that small town feeling.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Major good points, in most parts, if you stay out of larger cities:

Reasonable housing and cost of living
Low auto insurance rates
Access to Washington DC, Baltimore, NYC
Major airports close to most suburban areas.
Good school systems
Decent medical care or referrals to Hershey, Philadelphia, John Hopkins or Pittsburgh specialties
Four seasons of weather, with all sports in all seasons very accessible (skiing, swimming, boating, biking, hiking).
Great selection and variety of college, universities, trade and training programs for post high school education.
Hard work ethic, solid family values, loads of religious backgrounds.

The bad:
roads could use some work, PennDot occasionally misses a beat with maintenance or repairs.
Some micromanaged municipalities-might be better off regionalizing or combining some for cost savings and expanding services.
Some of the attitudes of "it's always been done this way", provincial thinking and insular mindsets. Reluctant to change, be changed or think outside the box.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Nice town with shopping and malls but that small town feeling.

here's a few areas in western/central pa that would fit:
Chambersburg (though I would not live in a 2 block radius of the main street)
Indiana (do not live by IUP campus though)
Dubois
Grove City
Brookville (though not much shopping there, you would have to go to Dubois)
Bedford (no mall though)
Boiling Springs

Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Bellefonte is a nice small town in central PA. It's close to State College, which has a mall and lots of other stores, plus Penn State.

Montoursville is nice, and near a mall and other shopping. Selinsgrove and Lewisburg are also nice, and near a mall and other shopping. These three have populations of around 6,000 and good schools also.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:08 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Me, I've lived in PA all my life, but knowing what I know, about PA...I love the wide open spaces and forests of PA, which can be found way up in the Wellsboro area...Potter County or Western PA. I, years ago, almost bought a farm up there which was completely reverbished by an excentric...it was an awesome 60 acre farm on the side of a mountain, bordered on the south side by The Allegheny River. So, I would definately suggest those areas if you enjoy nature and living a quiet life of solitude, away from the hustle and bustle of gridlock and love those ol fashioned stores with the ol wood planked floors.

I remember while up there, in the Coudersport area, that the biggest crime was fining people for letting their keys in their cars, while they shopped in that ol step back in time area. It was marvelous....but certainly, by now, has probably changed...

What ever you decide, I firmly suggest taking two weeks off, and you and your family come in and tour the areas after researching information.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania