Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 21,136 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My family is currently living near Hershey, but we don't really love it here - it's a little too conservative for our taste. My whole family lives here, though, so we stay for that reason. Also, my husband is a journeyman electrician in the Harrisburg area, and he's had good luck finding decent jobs - only a couple short layoffs when the economy was really terrible in 2008. I work during the academic year at a college, but our primary income comes from his job.

I used to live in State College, and a couple of my best friends still live there. It's also a really beautiful area. So my husband and I have been giving some thought lately to trying to move back up there. My concern is with work. Anyone know what the economy is like for the skilled trades in State College and the surrounding area? DH is used to driving up to an hour to work at a site, so he doesn't need to work right in SC. The Harrisburg area is relatively stable, so leaving makes us both nervous. Any advice or input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM

189 posts, read 704,953 times
I would say that it is pretty stable. The State College economy as a whole is very stable, with a low unemployment rate. I would say to start looking at Penn State jobs at psu.jobs. Many of the OPP jobs require electrical skills and training. Good luck to you! However, what exactly do you mean by "too conservative"?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 21,136 times
It's hard to describe - it's not even necessarily a political thing, because I don't particularly care about people's politics. It just seems like people in south-central PA (especially when you get outside Harrisburg) are kind of, I don't know, dour. I moved back here from Virginia, and it seemed like people were a lot friendlier in Virginia. It just isn't a particularly interesting area, I guess. I liked State College because the influence of the college meant there was always something going on, and even though it's not as liberal as some college towns, it had more diversity in terms of groups of people who were into different causes and issues. I heard a guy on the radio one day saying that one reason south-central PA did a little better in the recession than some other areas is because there is a conservatism here that kept the housing bubble from happening here - people weren't willing to bet on the market like they were in other places, and investors around here don't get overenthusiastic (again, this is according to the guy on NPR - I don't actually know economics myself). So on the one hand, that's a good thing - that people were conservative enough to keep the economy from getting into the mess of, say, Florida. But I think that conservative, unenthusiastic attitude transfers into daily life here.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 PM

189 posts, read 704,953 times
Ah, I see! I definitely agree with you, there is always something going on in State College! Wonderful community events all year round. Another thing that I love about State College is that it has many of the amenities of a city, yet at the core it is still just a friendly central PA town. People who move here from elsewhere always tell me how surprised they are with the friendliness of everyone. Sounds like State College would be a great move for you and your family!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times
But watch out - it is well know here that it is tough to find a job. The economy is *very* stable, but very few jobs are available. We absolutely love living here, but jobs are scarce (and I'm told it's very difficult to get a job at Penn State!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania