Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 PM

10 posts, read 55,482 times

Advertisements

When buying a house, should I use a real estate agent or attempt to buy the house myself?(using a real estate lawyer of course). What are the pros and cons of attemting to buy a house without an agent? Which option would you choose? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,098 times
I would use an agent. They know all the ins and outs of the real estate world.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2007 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
I sold a house on ly own about 15 years ago. An Agent is NOT needed, A lawyer, YES, an agent, NO.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 AM

20 posts, read 74,179 times
the only pro to using an agent is that they have more listings at their hands and they will deal with the owner for you - which isnt always easy. the thing to remember though is they get a percent of the sale so they arent always ready to help you get a good price. I have a few friends who are agents and I would never buy a house from them!! yet they sell millions of dollars in real estate every year and have few problems - I sold my last house with thier help. Ive found that dealing with the owner yourself they are more willing to disclose little facts about the schools, neighbors, and the house that you normally wouldnt get from the agent. EVEN WITH AN AGENT A GOOD REAL ESTATE LAYWER IS NEEDED!!! you have a lot to think about and protect no matter how you buy a house. the question is how much time are you willing / do you have to devote to finding a house?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 AM

50 posts, read 239,068 times
My advice to you would be to interview at least 3 agents who are certified as "Buyers Agents", and are not acting as Dual Agents. They will provide extensive research on the market and direct you as to what to offer on the house. If you have never purchased before, definitely use an agent. If you have purchased before, then you are more educated on the process. If you decide to go it alone, please contact me and I will try to walk you through the process, so you get the best deal possible.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,049 times
As a buyer, why not use an agent? You don't have to pay the commission, the seller does. The only plus, as a buyer, for not using an agent would be possibly negotiating the 3% (what the typical commission is for a buyers agent) off the price or in some other concession. However, in this market you can do that even with a buyer's agent so why go it alone?

Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM

10 posts, read 55,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
As a buyer, why not use an agent? You don't have to pay the commission, the seller does. The only plus, as a buyer, for not using an agent would be possibly negotiating the 3% (what the typical commission is for a buyers agent) off the price or in some other concession. However, in this market you can do that even with a buyer's agent so why go it alone?
Am I to understand that the seller pays the commission and not the buyer? Is that the case in all real estate transactions?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:05 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamilux View Post
When buying a house, should I use a real estate agent or attempt to buy the house myself?(using a real estate lawyer of course). What are the pros and cons of attemting to buy a house without an agent? Which option would you choose? Why?
Depends what you're looking for. If you want the lowest price read up on foreclosures, tax liens, short sales. If time is of the essence just go to realtor.com, prudential.com and other real estate listings.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,049 times
Default You understand correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamilux View Post
Am I to understand that the seller pays the commission and not the buyer? Is that the case in all real estate transactions?
In PA the seller pays both the buyer's agent and seller's agent commissions unless some other deal was worked out, which I'd say is very rare.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 8,556 times
I am buying my deceased grandmother's home from my uncle and father. Paperwork seems to be the hold up. Should I involve a real estate attorney or is their a guide I can obtain to ensure that all of the necessary forms are in place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania