U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 PM

31 posts, read 72,097 times

Advertisements

Today coming back from Philly I accidentally missed the ticket lane getting on the turnpike and drove through EZ pass by mistake. When I got to my exit I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to run the EZ pass lane again so I ended up in the cash lane and tried to explain the situation. My friend did something similar a month ago while coming back from the shore, and I remembered they gave him a one time forgiveness. I tried to be as apologetic as possible, but it didn't stop the worker from tearing me a new one. I've never been so degraded in my life by anyone until today. I usually have a thick skin, but I was on the verge of tears and already feeling guilty I was holding up traffic. I think she felt bad then or pitied me in some way because she then said it happens all the time and I had a one time exemption. She ran my license I was offering the whole time and I paid the regular fee and got out of there as quickly as possible.

Will I still be billed a fee on top of everything? This was my first time traveling back home on the turnpike and I'm not sure if I should trust the worker's word that I wouldn't be.

Also would an EZ pass be worth buying if I'm planning several more trips this year and would be going through the turnpike? I just want to avoid the horrible mess I had today over a stupid mistake on my part.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,921,246 times
EZ Pass would definitely be worth the purchase. The fees you pay are slightly reduced, and you'll never compromise on the many highways and bridges that utilize the EZ Pass. It's like the big safety net for traveling.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:35 AM

9,894 posts, read 10,254,090 times
E-ZPass actually saves you a good 20% roughly now on the PA Turnpike toll alone. That is not the case everywhere (other states, bridges, etc), but for any significant distance on the PA Turnpike you want E-ZPass for sure. There's an annual fee of a few bucks, but that will be covered in one trip most likely. You also have to tie up some money in the account: it's prepay at I believe $35 minimum for PA's E-ZPass, and when it gets below $10 balance it will hit your card for another $35 to top up. So, in between trips you could have $30-40 sitting in there. That's the only real downside, and it's not that much of one IMO given the savings you'll have plus being able to glide through the E-ZPass lanes.

Sorry you had to deal with the a-hole toll taker. My guess is they were upset because of some kind of extra procedural hassle they would have to do, or they were just using the situation to throw their tiny little bit of power over you around. Ugh. The system takes a pic of your license plate when you go through the lane so that is how they would track. If you went through E-Z on both ends, they would send you a bill plus violation fee. Trying to correct it before then, like you did, should be encouraged I would think, but that doesn't mean the person you roll up to on a given day is going to be pleasant. They don't care, they don't have to.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 AM

3,630 posts, read 2,856,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
E-ZPass actually saves you a good 20% roughly now on the PA Turnpike toll alone. That is not the case everywhere (other states, bridges, etc), but for any significant distance on the PA Turnpike you want E-ZPass for sure. There's an annual fee of a few bucks, but that will be covered in one trip most likely. You also have to tie up some money in the account: it's prepay at I believe $35 minimum for PA's E-ZPass, and when it gets below $10 balance it will hit your card for another $35 to top up. So, in between trips you could have $30-40 sitting in there. That's the only real downside, and it's not that much of one IMO given the savings you'll have plus being able to glide through the E-ZPass lanes.

Sorry you had to deal with the a-hole toll taker. My guess is they were upset because of some kind of extra procedural hassle they would have to do, or they were just using the situation to throw their tiny little bit of power over you around. Ugh. The system takes a pic of your license plate when you go through the lane so that is how they would track. If you went through E-Z on both ends, they would send you a bill plus violation fee. Trying to correct it before then, like you did, should be encouraged I would think, but that doesn't mean the person you roll up to on a given day is going to be pleasant. They don't care, they don't have to.
so true--i can relate--happened to me too but i called penn dot and spoke to someone that was very nice to me and made me feel less anxious about it

Old 06-30-2013, 11:51 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,108,871 times
Ugh...tolltakers like that are just another reason the Turnpike should go all-electronic. I'm sure there's a procedure to be followed and there was no need to be rude to you.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM

31 posts, read 72,097 times
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead with the EZ Pass for my trips from now on and save myself a lot of grief.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
Traveling from out of state, I mistakenly went through one EZ pass at the border of NY and NJ. Do you know what needs to be done on my part to correct this? (am not sure of exact toll/EZ pass location).

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM

516 posts, read 388,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsato View Post
Traveling from out of state, I mistakenly went through one EZ pass at the border of NY and NJ. Do you know what needs to be done on my part to correct this? (am not sure of exact toll/EZ pass location).

Thanks!
If you do not have an EZ pass transponder registered to the vehicle, whichever agency is in charge of that toll will send you a violation in the mail.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:21 PM

316 posts, read 83,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriwriter View Post
Today coming back from Philly I accidentally missed the ticket lane getting on the turnpike and drove through EZ pass by mistake. When I got to my exit I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to run the EZ pass lane again so I ended up in the cash lane and tried to explain the situation. My friend did something similar a month ago while coming back from the shore, and I remembered they gave him a one time forgiveness. I tried to be as apologetic as possible, but it didn't stop the worker from tearing me a new one. I've never been so degraded in my life by anyone until today. I usually have a thick skin, but I was on the verge of tears and already feeling guilty I was holding up traffic. I think she felt bad then or pitied me in some way because she then said it happens all the time and I had a one time exemption. She ran my license I was offering the whole time and I paid the regular fee and got out of there as quickly as possible.
Turnpike employees are the worst. She was just pissed off that you forced her bureaucratic brain to function on a level beyond mindlessly handing people their change for $30/hr. I once had a toll collector get wise with me (called me a dumba$$) for accidentally dropping my ticket in sub-freezing weather as I was attempting to hand it to her. Since I knew damn well that I wouldn't get anywhere by complaining, I decided to get even in a different way, by wiping a big, nasty booger on my ticket the next time I came through her booth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania