U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-08-2007, 09:16 PM
 
11 posts, read 100,912 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Young family looking for a small town in PA with lots of charm and a peaceful atmosphere. Slower pace of life, but not entirely geriatric. A population of around 10,000 is ideal. Good schools. Reasonable house prices. Open to new people.

Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Center City Philadelphia
1,099 posts, read 3,269,232 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMx3 View Post
Young family looking for a small town in PA with lots of charm and a peaceful atmosphere. Slower pace of life, but not entirely geriatric. A population of around 10,000 is ideal. Good schools. Reasonable house prices. Open to new people.

Any suggestions?
Carlisle or Mechanicsburg.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 AM
 
10,900 posts, read 18,422,530 times
Reputation: 5244
Narrow it down a little bit. What part of the state?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Selinsgrove, PA
1,512 posts, read 4,801,090 times
Reputation: 526
I'll chime in with my usual: Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Bloomsburg, Bellefonte, Montoursville
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 AM
 
11 posts, read 100,912 times
Reputation: 21
Thanks. I also came across a website that suggested Lititz. Any info on that one?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
 
77 posts, read 16,612 times
Reputation: 13
central, north central, south central, or northwest pa
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Selinsgrove, PA
1,512 posts, read 4,801,090 times
Reputation: 526
Lititz is a nice small town in the Lancaster (Pa Dutch/Amish) area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 01:30 PM
 
10 posts, read 70,137 times
Reputation: 14
Does anyone know anything about Warren PA? I'm orginally from PA but moved to the UK 7 years ago. I'm looking to move back home next year some time but don't want to go back to the area from which I moved here from...Ellwood City. Although I don't care to live in big cities, Ellwood is just too small of a town for my liking actually it's a bit run down and employment is almost non-existant. I was looking at houses in Warren and liked what I saw, looked at the census and liked what I saw but I can't seem to find any information regarding the economy and employment opportunities. I'd be willing to travel 30-45 minutes to work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 AM
 
511 posts, read 1,451,113 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by January66 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Warren PA? I'm orginally from PA but moved to the UK 7 years ago. I'm looking to move back home next year some time but don't want to go back to the area from which I moved here from...Ellwood City. Although I don't care to live in big cities, Ellwood is just too small of a town for my liking actually it's a bit run down and employment is almost non-existant. I was looking at houses in Warren and liked what I saw, looked at the census and liked what I saw but I can't seem to find any information regarding the economy and employment opportunities. I'd be willing to travel 30-45 minutes to work.
It is alot of what you are looking for, however, their is very little economy. I was going to recommend another beautiful small town that is east of Warren, it's called Wellsboro PA. Its best known for the Pine Creek Gorge, otherwise known as the PA Grand Canyon. You would absoloutley fall in love with it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
27,136 posts, read 50,136,170 times
Reputation: 12060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
It is alot of what you are looking for, however, their is very little economy. I was going to recommend another beautiful small town that is east of Warren, it's called Wellsboro PA. Its best known for the Pine Creek Gorge, otherwise known as the PA Grand Canyon. You would absoloutley fall in love with it.
The problem with Wellsboro (which I did a photo tour of) is that there is very little economic opportunity to be had there. The nearest major employment centers are 45 minutes away in either Williamsport, PA or Elmira, NY, neither of which would be a fun commute in wintry weather. When I was in town there were all sorts of upper-middle-class senior citizens strolling around (including a full busload that had been dropped off). It appears to be more of a retirement destination than a place you'd move to in order to raise a family, unless you're VERY lucky to find good employment options there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top