Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
If the private sector can inspect cars effectively, then why not make it free?
Because it costs the mechanic time and money to inspect your car.

Quote:
The free market always compensates
Unless the government orders a business to give it away for free, like you're suggesting.

Sorry your car fails inspection. Maybe try taking some personal responsibility about getting it fixed.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
The mechanic, most likely.

What, you want the government to force a small business to give away its services for free?

So again -- like I said -- there's more incentive for the mechanic to fail your car. Try thinking before posting nonsense.

I don't think you know what that word means.
1) No you are wrong, not all inspection stations are small businesses and car inspections are unusual in the U.S., not the norm.
2) There is no incentive for a mechanic to fail your car, other than the possibility of your payment for said work, but no guarantees. This would leave the customer with the choice to have the work done or shop around for better pricing or a second opinion.
3) Of course I do it is a board game originally published by the Parker Brothers in the early 1930s.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
1) No you are wrong, not all inspection stations are small businesses
Oh, well in that case, obviously the mechanic doesn't care about getting paid then.

Quote:
2) There is no incentive for a mechanic to fail your car, other than the possibility of your payment for said work, but no guarantees. This would leave the customer with the choice to have the work done or shop around for better pricing or a second opinion.
That's right, because the mechanic gets paid for his time no matter whether you pass or fail. If you honestly don't believe that forcing him to do work for free creates an incentive to fail your car, then you've got no business talking about economy.

Quote:
3) Of course I do it is a board game originally published by the Parker Brothers in the early 1930s.
Glad we settled that one! Because it's certainly NOT the state of car inspection in Pennsylvania.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
1) If the private sector can inspect cars effectively, then why not make it free?
Do you work for free?

Quote:
3) Your idea is terrible and would only cause people to feel they are being singled out.
Well I guess we should get rid of health inspections and anything else the government does to regulate business just so we don't hurt their feelings. LOL

Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Because it costs the mechanic time and money to inspect your car.

Unless the government orders a business to give it away for free, like you're suggesting.

Sorry your car fails inspection. Maybe try taking some personal responsibility about getting it fixed.
You think contractors are compensated for their time estimating jobs, or mechanics in states without inspections are compensated for estimating work. What a joke, the real revenue for the mechanics is in the additional work associated with a failed inspection, not the inspection itself. If it is a government tax revenue issue, have the government raise registration fees and get rid of inspections. Your argument is weak and inspections are nothing more than an indirect tax on residents. Maybe if PA cares about driving safety so much they should fix the roads or educate drivers since most accidents are caused by driver error and road defects, not the equipment.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you work for free?

Well I guess we should get rid of health inspections and anything else the government does to regulate business just so we don't hurt their feelings. LOL
Yes I work for free very often, that is what happens when you work a salaried position and bring your work home with you. Many Americans work for free on a regular basis. Think about real estate agents, 100% commission salesmen, contractors, mechanics, etc. They all put in many hours without pay and hope it leads to a paycheck. Not sure why you would bring health inspections into the conversation, but it doesn't surprise me given your wacky stances on various political issues.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You think contractors are compensated for their time estimating jobs
Some are, some aren't. But we aren't talking about contractors, we're talking about auto mechanics. There are MASSIVE differences in consummables, time, labor, and liability. Not even in the same ballgame.

Quote:
What a joke, the real revenue for the mechanics is in the additional work associated with a failed inspection, not the inspection itself.
So it's almost as if you're validating my point above. Otherwise, you're just saying "getting paid nothing is better than getting paid a little".

Quote:
Maybe if PA cares about driving safety so much they should fix the roads or educate drivers since most accidents are caused by driver error and road defects, not the equipment.
Also outstanding ideas. Like maybe government-mandated driver training or government-funded road repair!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Yes I work for free very often, that is what happens when you work a salaried position and bring your work home with you.
You're paid a salary that you agreed too, that's not free. You want to force the mechanic to do it for free, that's unacceptable.

Quote:
Not sure why you would bring health inspections into the conversation, but it doesn't surprise me given your wacky stances on various political issues.
Heath inspections are often done by surprise randomly, I'm suggesting basically the same thing for inspection stations to keep them honest. But you think that's a "terrible idea".

Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yes I work for free very often, that is what happens when you work a salaried position
That's not working for free. You can't work for free when you're getting paid a salary. Your salary isn't based on the number of hours worked, so when you take work home, that's expected of you for your salary.

You can't put "work for free" and "salaried position" unless there's "because I don't have a" in between there somewhere.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Oh, well in that case, obviously the mechanic doesn't care about getting paid then.

That's right, because the mechanic gets paid for his time no matter whether you pass or fail. If you honestly don't believe that forcing him to do work for free creates an incentive to fail your car, then you've got no business talking about economy.

Glad we settled that one! Because it's certainly NOT the state of car inspection in Pennsylvania.
Yeah mechanics only get paid in PA, all of those mechanics in the states without inspections must be doing it as a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania