Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 PM

124 posts, read 153,636 times

Advertisements

OK, just a heads up, Erie moved 3 markets down in 2013-2014.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...-DMA-Ranks.pdf

Hope it can just stabilize at this point but I am not holding my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Yeah this is not good news, but I can't say I am surprised and stabilizing won't be enough because most other cities of similar sizes are growing. I really wish they would re-examine the boundaries for the designated market.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Well, on the other hand, it's just a figure. I think local broadcasting is down somewhat across the entire nation though.

Similar sized cities are growing. Yeah, like Reading. *thumbs up*

Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
Well, on the other hand, it's just a figure. I think local broadcasting is down somewhat across the entire nation though.

Similar sized cities are growing. Yeah, like Reading. *thumbs up*
I am confused by your post here. I was referring to cities like Minot, Odessa, Panama City, etc.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM

Oh, yeah. I was referring to how Reading was "gaining up" on Erie. It's population was 81,000 in 2000 and it has grown to around 88,000. Which states are these cities in (except for Panama Beach, which I know is in Florida)? TRIVIA: Which local Erie TV longtime news anchor had his brief stint in Florida before becoming an anchor for channel 24?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I was referring to how Reading was "gaining up" on Erie. It's population was 81,000 in 2000 and it has grown to around 88,000. Which states are these cities in (except for Panama Beach, which I know is in Florida)? TRIVIA: Which local Erie TV longtime news anchor had his brief stint in Florida before becoming an anchor for channel 24?
Oh ok thanks for the clarification I didn't even realize the Reading TV market was growing that quickly. Minot is in North Dakota and is growing at an astounding pace and Odessa is in Texas and doing the same. Also, I have no idea about the trivia question lol.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I like the Erie broadcasts actually. But I'm just comparing it to 20 years ago. Maybe I also think that Canada was ahead of the USA in terms of news quality and content, both national and local. Either Erie must have slipped market-ratings wise, or the small markets were abandoned when it comes to access to resources.

20 years ago, there were more factories running, far more union-scale wage earners, and probably more purchasing power and disposable income in the average household. Factories started shutting down in the early '80s. The NW PA entire region is much more backward and rural and lower-socioeconomic in thinking now than it was when I was a kid. I can see why the TV market would be considered minor.

It's worth noting that JET-TV can be picked up quite clearly at least to mid-Mercer county by all of us who have an antenna. We watch Jet all the time to get PA news that we can't get out of the Youngstown stations on cable.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Yes, because *everything* that came before my generation was better.

I wish Erie would've continued to prosper, but it gave up and now it's too late to catch up.

It's very embarrassing. It feels like I missed out on good stuff.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, because *everything* that came before my generation was better.

I wish Erie would've continued to prosper, but it gave up and now it's too late to catch up.

It's very embarrassing. It feels like I missed out on good stuff.
Erie has actually done okay for a small, rust belt city, especially if you compare to places like Flint, Gary, or Niagara Falls (NY). However, Erie still has work to do and I am not sure what the solution is, but attracting and retaining young people should be a big priority.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 PM

Sorry for my uncontrollable little rant. I feel like a lonely 21 year old knowing a majority of my age are leaving the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania