U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM

9,336 posts, read 7,916,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
private interests now receive federal subsidies which is how so much was built in flood planes and why none of it predates the recession. In Philadelphia areas that flooded were often industrial (mills and such).

what I meant was that transit increases property values so a fair way to fund transit is a property tax overlay that taxes more for those properties within, say, .25 mi of a station and 1 mi than those that are not. It's a possible way to fund transit locally, not statewide. yes, property tax "reform" is usually about creating different winners or losers than finding a better system.

you mean on the turnpike? not at all. of course, with a toll road, I imagine it's a profit center so whomever controls the toll road would also want to retain he concessions I'd think. if they're not making money on them then they should absolutely be privatized.
No; I mean our Interstates. Our Turnpike already has private concessions. Why should taxpayers pay for a service that many fast food restaurants and service plazas would provide for 'free'? Why not provide easy-off, easy-on facilities for fuel right before motorist leave our State? The tax collected goes into our coffers and not into our neighboring states.

Many are talking about getting PA out of the liquor business - why not get us out of the restroom business?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 AM

9,705 posts, read 12,140,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
No; I mean our Interstates. Our Turnpike already has private concessions. Why should taxpayers pay for a service that many fast food restaurants and service plazas would provide for 'free'? Why not provide easy-off, easy-on facilities for fuel right before motorist leave our State? The tax collected goes into our coffers and not into our neighboring states.

Many are talking about getting PA out of the liquor business - why not get us out of the restroom business?
huh. makes sense to me

Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM

29,552 posts, read 50,679,238 times
Quote:
Why not provide easy-off, easy-on facilities for fuel right before motorist leave our State?
I believe they're called "exit ramps", and I can think of only a handful that don't have gas stations at the ends of them.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I believe they're called "exit ramps", and I can think of only a handful that don't have gas stations at the ends of them.
I am suggesting building new service facilities or utilizing current rest areas for service and fast food. On my end (the eastern end of I-80) we have no really easy-on, easy-off service facilities. My County designed 80 to trap tourist (or that is the way it looks). On your Ohio side; the quickest fuel is probably in Hubbard, OH.

If we could build service centers right before motorist leave out State; we could capture some of that fuel tax. I know that NJ fuel prices are considerably cheaper than PA's. But, if you are running low; you would still fuel up before you hit the traffic in NJ. I forget how Ohio's fuel prices are compared to PA? You would still have motorist that go for convenience. Motorist on long trips don't like to go sightseeing just to fuel up.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM

27,095 posts, read 31,871,786 times
I think if you look far enough that the various rest areas along 80 were built/designed using what the engineers saw back then and that was not much of anything.

Exits had no services, which meant no bathrooms. There weren't even gas stations along 80 when it opened and for several years after, they were all off the road in in the downtown areas, which could have been several miles away. Even today many of the exits are fairly empty along long stretches.

When we moved to MD 30 years ago we would have to sort of plot out our trip back to NWPA to remember that there weren't a whole lot of gas stations or restaurants on the way. That meant that many trips we took where we would start early or go late that we'd have to carry drinks and food for the kids. The intervening years has changed that.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think if you look far enough that the various rest areas along 80 were built/designed using what the engineers saw back then and that was not much of anything.

Exits had no services, which meant no bathrooms. There weren't even gas stations along 80 when it opened and for several years after, they were all off the road in in the downtown areas, which could have been several miles away. Even today many of the exits are fairly empty along long stretches.

When we moved to MD 30 years ago we would have to sort of plot out our trip back to NWPA to remember that there weren't a whole lot of gas stations or restaurants on the way. That meant that many trips we took where we would start early or go late that we'd have to carry drinks and food for the kids. The intervening years has changed that.
Truck stops make excellent rest areas. They have almost everything that travelers need and they are usually pretty secure. In the last decade some new truck stops opened along I-80. But there are none in Monroe County and the first one in NJ cannot handle the volume when the economy is doing good.

Rethinking all of our Interstate rest areas for today's needs and potential, self-sustaining income/services would be a wise move.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 AM

Fisheye, I'm thinking you haven't traveled the length of I-80 anytime recently. I can think of only one or two exits that, within a quarter of a mile from the highway, don't have some kind of truck stop, fast food restaurant, convenience store/gas station or other service that travelers would need. Heck, you can even stop at Lowe's in Brookville or Wal-Mart in Clarion.

I'm a big fan of Sapp's in Clearfield.

Adding gas stations and fast food restaurants to the existing rest stops would just be redundant.

I-80 is not the Turnpike, where exits are often far apart and it's a hassle to get off the highway.

This is one area that really is served best by the free market.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Fisheye, I'm thinking you haven't traveled the length of I-80 anytime recently. I can think of only one or two exits that, within a quarter of a mile from the highway, don't have some kind of truck stop, fast food restaurant, convenience store/gas station or other service that travelers would need. Heck, you can even stop at Lowe's in Brookville or Wal-Mart in Clarion.

I'm a big fan of Sapp's in Clearfield.

Adding gas stations and fast food restaurants to the existing rest stops would just be redundant.

I-80 is not the Turnpike, where exits are often far apart and it's a hassle to get off the highway.

This is one area that really is served best by the free market.
Yes; I know that some new truck stops popped up along I-80, And, yes, I loved to stop in Clearfield (Sapp's) and many other areas when traveling I-80 from end to end. My last trips across that road were about seven years ago; so there is a chance that things have changed since that time.

You never traveled trough my county? The only truck stop in my county disappeared about the same time as I stopped commercially driving. We do have a few service stations that are not too difficult to reach for motorist - but they can face traffic and difficulties getting back on. We and most of I-80 have no commercial fuel or fast food that is as easy to reach as 'normal' Interstate rest stops. By 'normal' I mean that you can clearly see the service/food at the end of a long ramp and that you can quickly get back on without lights or stopping after you get your services. With today's fast paced lifestyle; many do not want to tour the area for fuel or restrooms. Some will also fear the unknown if they cannot see their designated target.

As long as the economy is growing; new rest stops or privately controlled rest stops would probably not hurt existing service stations and truck stops. But; the studies would have to be done. Many of us 'frequent travelers' would still prefer our old favorites. That is; because we are familiar with them.

I did like Ohio's Turnpike (I-80) rest areas. They offer a wide selection of fuel, parking and food.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You never traveled trough my county?
I don't, sorry; I travel I-80 mostly between I-79 and I-476.

Quote:
With today's fast paced lifestyle; many do not want to tour the area for fuel or restrooms. Some will also fear the unknown if they cannot see their designated target.
I guess the crowds at the Flying J and Burger King are just a figment of my imagination!

There are signs before every exit listing available food, fuel and motels, and again at the end of the ramp with directional signs and approximate distance. The signs are pretty standard from state to state, so there's no confusion or unfamiliarity with the information presented.

Most truck stops, like the Flying J, and restaurants have HUUUUUUGE signs that you can see for a quarter mile before approaching the exit ramp. There's really no issue here.

Quote:
I did like Ohio's Turnpike (I-80) rest areas. They offer a wide selection of fuel, parking and food.
I agree; the Ohio Turnpike rest areas are clean, spacious and user-friendly. The convenience stores don't have the same selections as the convenience stores at the Pennsylvania Turnpike rest stops, but I'll take a spotless bathroom and lack of chaos over 10 kazillion varieties of potato chips.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 PM

9,705 posts, read 12,140,122 times
last year we stopped ata turnpike exit, I think sliding rock but not positive, and there was a farmer's market! very cool, we picked up some tasty apples rather than feasting on garbage innside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania